Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:07 PM

801 posts, read 2,554,512 times

Advertisements

This is just to help me understand NYC better. Slight chance I could move there, well, who knows the chances, but I am applying to some jobs in NYC.

If you know both cities well, what NYC area/neighborhood is a similar match to the Chicago-or-suburban neighborhood in this list? For distance from the downtown, amenities, safety, ambiance, socioeconomics, etc. My intent here is to better understand what the NYC areas are like to live in. (I know that a huge number of NYC areas are not going to have anything comparable, Times Square for instance.)

Bridgeport/Sox Park --
Midway Airport area --
South Loop --
West Loop/UIC --
Hyde Park --
Lakeview/Boystown/Wrigley Field --
Evanston --
Oak Park --
Orland Park --
Oak Lawn/Burbank --
Schaumburg --
Glenview --
Mount Prospect --
Berwyn --
Rogers Park/Loyola --
Lincoln Park/DePaul --

add any others you wish. I just listed a few that I'm familiar with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 03:17 AM

87 posts, read 235,098 times
i lived in evanston for a year. trust me - just go to nyc! there is no comparison. you can't compare chicago or any other city for that matter to new york. there is no other city like it. you can't compare neighborhoods. maybe someone will say otherwise but there's no way i would even begin to make the comparison. it's like trying to compare a ghost town to tokyo. and i'm not trying to sound rude, it may sound that way - i'm not, new york is just on a much bigger, crazier level than chicago.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,234,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
This is just to help me understand NYC better. Slight chance I could move there, well, who knows the chances, but I am applying to some jobs in NYC.

If you know both cities well, what NYC area/neighborhood is a similar match to the Chicago-or-suburban neighborhood in this list? For distance from the downtown, amenities, safety, ambiance, socioeconomics, etc. My intent here is to better understand what the NYC areas are like to live in. (I know that a huge number of NYC areas are not going to have anything comparable, Times Square for instance.)

Bridgeport/Sox Park --
Midway Airport area --
South Loop --
West Loop/UIC --
Hyde Park --
Lakeview/Boystown/Wrigley Field --
Evanston --
Oak Park --
Orland Park --
Oak Lawn/Burbank --
Schaumburg --
Glenview --
Mount Prospect --
Berwyn --
Rogers Park/Loyola --
Lincoln Park/DePaul --

This whole exercise is kind of moot point... Please note that Brooklyn, which is just one borough of NYC has much population as entire city of Chicago. So NYC is dense and urban, you'll find places similar to each other as much as nothing similar. Don't expect to someone to tell you hey Carroll Garden is like Hyde Park (not saying it is) because for one they are not the same and I doubt Hyde Park has much hipsters as Carroll Garden ...or even people in general nor living cost....

Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 AM

5,508 posts, read 8,687,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post

Bridgeport/Sox Park --
Midway Airport area --
South Loop --
West Loop/UIC --Long Island City
Hyde Park (S. Kenwood) -- Ft. Greene/Clinton Hill
Lakeview/Boystown/Wrigley Field --Upper West Side
Evanston -- White Plains NY
Oak Park -- Montclair NJ
Orland Park --
Oak Lawn/Burbank --
Schaumburg --
Glenview --
Mount Prospect --
Berwyn --
Rogers Park/Loyola --
Lincoln Park/DePaul -- Park Slope

New East Side -- Battery Park City
Streeterville --Sutton Place
Gold Coast -- Upper East Side
Naperville -- Stamford Conn.

One to one neighborhood comparisons are tough becuase the cities are really different. Now I sure don't know everyplace in both cities, NYC is too big to have a strong base of knowledge of every nabe and I only visit Chitwon two three times a year. But these are equivalents that I think have the same vibe, the same feel, if not exact twins. Best to take ech city as its own place I'd think. I mean offhand, I like Rogers Park and I like the South Loop, but I can't think of any real equivalents to them here.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:56 PM

988 posts, read 3,240,920 times
Bridgeport/Sox Park -- Maybe Greenpoint or Sunnyside/Carroll Gardens, without the ballpark
Midway Airport area -- Sunset Park
South Loop -- Battery Park City
West Loop/UIC -- Agree with LIC, Queens
Hyde Park -- Fort Greene or Hamilton Heights around Columbia
Lakeview/Boystown/Wrigley Field -- Upper East Side or Murray Hill or Hells Kitchen
Evanston -- White Plains or Stamford
Oak Park -- South section of Harlem or Nicer parts of Yonkers
Orland Park -- Can't compare, maybe a former working class suburb in Westchester
Oak Lawn/Burbank -- Maspeth
Schaumburg -- Monclaire, NJ
Glenview -- Not sure, maybe Northern Staten Island close to Ferry?
Mount Prospect -- older LI town closer to Queens border
Berwyn -- maybe North Bergen,
Rogers Park/Loyola -- Upper West Side
Lincoln Park/DePaul --Hoboken/Brooklyn Heights in more residential areas.

Additions:

Bucktown/Wicker Park-Williamsburg
West Side-ENY/Brownsville
Bronzeville-Fort Green/Clinton Hill
Near South Side(between 35th-55th, mostly east of Dan Ryan)-Harlem
Englewood-South/Central Bronx
Maywood-Poughkeepsie
Beverly-Jamaica Estates
Ukrainian Village(smaller scale)-East Village
Logan Square-Wash Heights/Inwood
Financial District-Loop

No equivalents in my opinion:
West Village
Midtown around MSG area
LES
Flatiron

I think that Brooklyn/Queens are more similiar to Chicago overall more than Manhattan.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:40 PM

297 posts, read 735,892 times
Forgive me for being out of the loop----but is the EL still a buck?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:31 PM

801 posts, read 2,554,512 times
Thanks for the responses, both from people who found there are no comparisons, and from people who found some. Gives me some food for thought. Thanks!

Old 06-02-2012, 07:10 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,111,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
forgive me for being out of the loop----but is the el still a buck?
$2.25 - same as New York, as far as I know.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:56 PM

203 posts, read 383,431 times
I've lived in both Chicago and NYC.

Bridgeport/Sox Park -- Vaguely similar to south Brooklyn.
Midway Airport area -- Vaguely similar to south Brooklyn.
South Loop -- I agree that this area is similar to Battery Park City. Also, this area is vaguely similar to the parts of Jersey City, New Jersey which have modern high-rise buildings and which are directly across the Hudson River from Manhattan.
West Loop/UIC -- I generally agree with those who said Long Island City, Queens. But I think it's a loose comparison. In particular, Long Island City has nothing comparable to UIC.
Hyde Park -- Morningside Heights, which is the subsection of Harlem near Columbia University. This is unsurprising because the University of Chicago is similar to Columbia in many ways. Note that I don't really think Hyde Park is similar to Hamilton Heights.
Lakeview/Boystown/Wrigley Field -- Somewhat like Hoboken, New Jersey, just across the river from Manhattan. There are also loose parallels between Lakeview and the Village. Both areas were formerly eclectic and diverse but have gone mainstream for the most part. But the Village has retained far more of its original eclectic culture than Lakeview has.
Evanston -- Vaguely similar to Riverdale, Bronx.
Oak Park --
Orland Park --
Oak Lawn/Burbank --
Schaumburg -- Some parallels with Iselin, New Jersey. Both are built-up suburbs with many offices. Both have substantial South Asian populations.
Glenview --
Mount Prospect --
Berwyn --
Rogers Park/Loyola -- There's nothing quite like it in NYC. However, there are loose parallels with Astoria, Queens. Both are very diverse areas. Both have a lot to offer in their own right while also offering good transportation to more central areas.
Lincoln Park/DePaul -- Similar to Hoboken.

Also:

Logan Square -- Somewhat similar to Williamsburg. Both have historically been primarily Hispanic but have had an influx of hipsters recently. Williamsburg is far more dominated by hipsters than Logan Square is, however. Hipsters completely dominate the north side of Williamsburg and have made substantial inroads into the south side and so-called East Williamsburg. Overall, Logan Square is much more diverse and interesting than Williamsburg.
Uptown -- Vaguely similar to Harlem. Both historically had large numbers of entertainment venues.
South and West Sides -- Not really comparable to anything in NYC. Even NYC neighborhoods such as East New York, Brooklyn; Brownsville, Brooklyn; the South Bronx and the central Bronx are nowhere near as dangerous as the worst parts of Chicago's South and West Sides.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:12 AM

9 posts, read 28,510 times
I love how quick New Yorker's are to get all defensive. "Pish posh, there's no comparison." Bottom Line is Chicago is a world class city. It's bustling, crowded, and it's higher crime rates in certain parts give it a slightly more 'rough around the edges' feel.

As far as the Upper East Side in NYC, I think it can be compared the Lincoln Park in addition to the Gold Coast due to the fact LP boasts Chicago's most expensive block. It's also home to residents like Penny Pritzker and Fred Eychaner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City