Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times

Advertisements

I'm familiar with your work location, while I'm not a software engineer, I'm familiar with their working conditions. You will have to WORK for $135K. But this should be no problem as you are young and strong.

I am writing this with your information in mind that you have lived in other large world cities, so it shoulc be an easy adjustment for you.

However being that you have to WORK you need to live where it is convenient, near transportation, near restaurants, near other shopping for daily necessities. Also being that you are young and single easy to get to a night life, which may mean Manhattan, or easy access to it since a lot of young people that work in the FiDi live in Manhattan or easy access areas.

You also need quiet when you have rest time because the job will require you to be alert for the $135K they are going to pay. I stress the WORK because many people in the FiDi didn't understand WORK until they came to NYC

I wouldn't rule out the UWS, UES, and Tribeca if you want to live with roommates, you might even get lucky and get a rent stabilized that some one had previously for a long time, you never know, but chances are slim. Getting a space just for yourself in these areas, it will probably be small for that price, and you probably won't get a doorman building, maybe even a walk up.

Why settle when you can get more in many of the suggested areas like Dumbo and Greenpoint Brooklyn, Astoria and LIC Queens to name a few. This may be the best 2nd choice outside of the prime areas I just mentioned.

If you want to stay in Manhattan try Harlem below 125th St. You can get a nice quiet small garden floor brownstone apt. Below 125th there are more amenities. Above there are less, but you can get deliveries. Many young professionals have moved into Harlem, if you are at the subway station during rush hour mornings you would think that they are the majority living there now. They are not. Your block if you made this choice should be all brownstone to insure quiet. You can pay the required rent. You can get a cab in Harlem to anywhere, and you can get a cab home easily from anywhere when you need one. Stay below 153rd to get a nice brownstone apt. Takes about a half hour to get to the FiDi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 PM

110 posts, read 299,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I hope the OP doesn't feel the same way.
If somebody makes 135k a year and wont give the doorman----THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON WORKING FOR THE BUILDING-- 500 bucks for the holidays, something is messed up.
Not saying I wouldn't pay up if I moved into a doorman building. I'm saying I don't know if I'll move into a doorman building because of the extra cost.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
This is the dumbest post on the thread.
135k a year and your NOT going to live well?
"But you'll make it".
I dunno what your idea of 'living well' is, but it 100% can be done on 135 grand a year in Manhattan.
where? 178th? i'm not talkning about me, i'm talking about someone who thinks 135 means a lot

lets be honest, in manhattan, space is gonna be tight.

i'd imagine 1200 sq ft at best, walk up

Last edited by john_starks; 05-01-2012 at 06:45 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 PM

217 posts, read 680,820 times
Regarding some comments about working hard, If you're an experienced engineer and looking to make 135k base, then that should be a pretty run-of-the-mill finance job. Seriously, 9-5 type stuff. Any bonus potential?

If you're going to be working your ass off (60+ hours week) you could be making much much more, certainly north of 200k at your level (base + bonus). You could always goes the startup route, a heck of a lot more fun, pull in 110-120k, and have a shot at much much more with stock options.

My wife and I live in the UWS in a 1-bedroom on 150k and do pretty well. We probably spend less than most, but aren't crazy frugal or anything. Our savings rate (saved cash / take-home pay) is 35-40% most months. It took some searching, but we pay $2,300 for our 650sq ft 1 bedroom (3rd floor walkup).

In negotiations you might want to try to get a month or 2 in a corporate apartment as part of your relo package so your apt search isn't rushed.

I would suggest getting the cheapest studios you're comfortable with, then enjoy the extra cash. There seem to be some good deals on the west side of the UWS these days. StreetEasy is a good site to check things out.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:46 PM

44 posts, read 109,977 times
Default i made it, thank you all

Hi,
OP here, Not trying to revive the question of this thread but, I just wanted to really thank you all for your input!

After a few more job interviews with other companies, I was able to land a significantly higher salary than that! Just few days ago i signed the lease on my own nice studio for $2250 in midtown east at a doorman/elevator building. It's been an emotional rollercoaster trying to find an apartment during this time of the year, but I made it! And its a rental, without even paying a broker fee! I know I can even afford a one bedroom but there's no need, there's just too much fun stuff happening outside to stay home....I checked out Brooklyn as others suggested. Even though it felt like it has an amazing vibrant culture, I decided Manhattan is much closer to my taste and commute dynamics.

Thanks again...now im off to flood these forums with some more NY newcomer questions :-)

Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,150 times
OP, I make 85k and I'm single. You'd make 135k.

135k - 85k = 50k.

I live pretty well here. HOWEVER, I pay 800 bucks a month for an apartment (with 1 roomate), including ALL utilities.

Making more money but then paying 2k-3k for an apartment is like you're not making 135k. Having an apt serves 1 purpose: a place to sleep and ****/$hit (excuse my language).

Living in NYC, you'll rarely be at your apt. You'll be working, hanging out, or doing other stuff. You'll spend the least amount of time in your actual apt.

Consider this:

Apt + all utilities for me = $9,600/yr (assuming 800 bucks).

If you pay 2,500 for your apt + utilities, I'm going to assume about 200 (i guarantee you its gonna be more) so 2,700.

2,700 * 12 = $32,400/year.

So me: 85k - 9.6k = $75,400/year.
You: 135k - 32.4k = 102,600/year.

Difference of 27k. Not much of a difference now.

The point I'm trying to make is that anyone living in NYC should be smart about it. I would never pay more than 1k for an apt unless I'm buying it (then I'd spend up to 2k).

I'm rarely at my apt so it would never be worth paying more than 1k.

Oh and before I forget:

1. I live 25 mins from my job (midtown east)
2. I'm between the R, M, N, and Q trains. (AWESOME).

My 0.2 cents.

Last edited by YoungTraveler2011; 08-09-2012 at 08:20 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 11:39 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittgenstein83 View Post
Hi,
OP here, Not trying to revive the question of this thread but, I just wanted to really thank you all for your input!

After a few more job interviews with other companies, I was able to land a significantly higher salary than that! Just few days ago i signed the lease on my own nice studio for $2250 in midtown east at a doorman/elevator building. It's been an emotional rollercoaster trying to find an apartment during this time of the year, but I made it! And its a rental, without even paying a broker fee! I know I can even afford a one bedroom but there's no need, there's just too much fun stuff happening outside to stay home....I checked out Brooklyn as others suggested. Even though it felt like it has an amazing vibrant culture, I decided Manhattan is much closer to my taste and commute dynamics.

Thanks again...now im off to flood these forums with some more NY newcomer questions :-)

That's a terrific outcome for you wittgenstein.
Yes, I agree a doorman/concierge is a very welome addition to both safety and convenience...and an elevator goes without saying. Our tootsies get worn out after a day around this town.
And Manhattan IS and will ALWAYS BE the place to live, if you can pull it off.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,606 times
Quote:
How can you be smart enough to land a job that pays 135k and not be smart enough to know that it's enough to survive in ANY city in the United States?
I almost died laughing after reading your comment.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:52 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times
easily

how is this thread 5 pages long?

Old 07-30-2019, 09:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I have had a doorman for the last 32 years. In this day of home delivery for nearly everything, they are almost a necessity.

With 24 hour doorman coverage and rotations among the three buildings, that is 12 doormen. A $6000 doormen tip ($500 each) is over the top, certainly for me and most people I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City