Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 AM

6 posts, read 21,240 times

Advertisements

Well thanks for the replies. For the record I'm not Canadian, I'm from San Diego and am moving back to the U.S. from Canada. My friend who lives in Sunset Park found the place and I haven't seen it. I doesn't seem to be that deep into Flatbush though, so I hope it's ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
I've commented on this area many times throughout the years. I have family that's lived on St. Pauls Place for over 30 years so I know around there pretty well.

The best way to describe it would be its like the Black Carribean version of Washington Heights, a little bit safer on the crime aspect. It can get real loud in the summer, and although it's not as bad as it used to be back in the late 80s - early 90s, I still wouldnt reccomend the area to somebody not used to living in an above-average crime neighborhood. Labor Day weekend the place turns into an absolute frenzy.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-17-2012, 02:25 PM

555 posts, read 1,183,420 times
Yes its safe

Old 04-17-2012, 04:23 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Another "Is it Safe" thread, and who responds?

Not one person who lives in the area.

One person who actually knows local residents and visits the area.

Another who passes thru biking.

Three others who do not live in the area, do not visit the area, do NOT know anyone in the area, and yet feel qualified to comment as to what it is like living there. They make definitely negative statements w/o any qualifying comments nor reasoning.

These people have NOTHING but negativity in regard to EVERY black neighborhood in the entire city. Yet these people have absolutely NO experience nor personal knowledge of life in any predominately black neighborhood. They certainly have no reason to visit, NOR do they have any friends in the area, and have not walked these streets!

So, one can only wonder, HOW is it, and WHAT is it, that they truly know?

Is every majorily black neighborhood the same?

Why is it, that these people would not live in ANY black neighborhood?

Why is it these people have NOTHING positive to say in regard to ANY black area?

How is it that these people can be so knowing, experienced and damning with EVERY black area?

What is it about these people and their lives which has made them so narrow, shallow, and unknowing?

Well, the answers s/b obvious, but there are two denominators, "black" and "disdain"!

Opps, there it is!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I've commented on this area many times throughout the years. I have family that's lived on St. Pauls Place for over 30 years so I know around there pretty well.

The best way to describe it would be its like the Black Carribean version of Washington Heights, a little bit safer on the crime aspect. It can get real loud in the summer, and although it's not as bad as it used to be back in the late 80s - early 90s, I still wouldnt reccomend the area to somebody not used to living in an above-average crime neighborhood. Labor Day weekend the place turns into an absolute frenzy.
The most honest comment made.

Yet, one must ask for a definition of 'average crime", in order to determine what is "above average"....

Old 04-17-2012, 04:35 PM

430 posts, read 1,192,179 times
Not most of the black high density neighborhoods are crap. There are a lot of prosperous african-american neighborhoods in DC.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:02 PM

87 posts, read 236,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Another "Is it Safe" thread, and who responds?

Not one person who lives in the area.

One person who actually knows local residents and visits the area.

Another who passes thru biking.

Three others who do not live in the area, do not visit the area, do NOT know anyone in the area, and yet feel qualified to comment as to what it is like living there. They make definitely negative statements w/o any qualifying comments nor reasoning.

These people have NOTHING but negativity in regard to EVERY black neighborhood in the entire city. Yet these people have absolutely NO experience nor personal knowledge of life in any predominately black neighborhood. They certainly have no reason to visit, NOR do they have any friends in the area, and have not walked these streets!

So, one can only wonder, HOW is it, and WHAT is it, that they truly know?

Is every majorily black neighborhood the same?

Why is it, that these people would not live in ANY black neighborhood?

Why is it these people have NOTHING positive to say in regard to ANY black area?

How is it that these people can be so knowing, experienced and damning with EVERY black area?

What is it about these people and their lives which has made them so narrow, shallow, and unknowing?

Well, the answers s/b obvious, but there are two denominators, "black" and "disdain"!

Opps, there it is!
I lived in flatbush for 5 months ya jackwagon. As someone stated above about it being loud - hmmm, let's see, my entire street from about 3pm to 4 am it was nothing but people yelling at each other like they were yelling through the world's loudest sound system...speaking of sound systems - dudes playing, yes, rap music! Gasp! NONSTOP, again, much louder than anything i have ever heard in my life...car alarms going off, gunshots, yes, gunshots, glass breaking, i'm not talking about every now and then, i'm talking about EVERY SINGLE DAY - NONSTOP - VERY LOUD. That's just talking about the racket you'll have to deal with. Cops don't go there really, doesn't matter - anyone who even thinks about dealing with the cops will be considered a "snitch". And when someone says "don't act snobbish and the locals won't bother you"...that pretty much translates to "if you're white, and you mind your business most people will leave you alone, but YOU WILL GET MESSED WITH NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO."

coltrane - shut your a** up. I've lived there, and just because you can't get over the fact that most "black" neighbors are shi*** and still have the WORST RACISM in the country as far as black people hating White people who move in - that's not my problem....if you say otherwise it just makes you sound stupid. I'm speaking from experience. Act like you know.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:19 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Go look at a crime map yourself. You're gonna tell me Flatbush is a decent neighborhood? It isn't, and it's not because it's mostly black, it's because it has one of the highest crime rates in any Brooklyn neighborhood. Nice try, Al Sharpton.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:31 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Don't mind coltrane, he's an absolute mouth-breather. Nevermind the fact that I was born there and my dad's side of the family goes back two generations in the area. Nobody who is white can have an opinion according to that race obsessed whack job (although I haven't even made an opinion on this thread). And when you call him out, he never returns to the thread, as is the case with another thread currently on the first page.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,382,750 times
Well by the looks of things, it looks like a good place, just make sure the building is reasonable and fancy looking. Ha Crooke Avenue........

The problem is Church Avenue and Flatbush are shopping districts.

Flatbush has traffic backed up, and car crashes frequently occurs,
so it is better to drive down the living quarters lanes ( where children , , baby buggies, and families play ) if you do not like crowded streets during morning and night rush hours.

On Flatbush there is alot of shopping areas, for which you can see people who have been ducking out, to keep getting customers.
Most shoppers are young adults from the nearby highschools, and surrounding living quarters areas, once in awhile the streets will be packed with all kinds of people.

I do not like nights, as all the freaks( the insane people mixing in with the youth ), and beggars are outside, along with everybody going home. Because alot of people pass by the area, their are all kinds of businesses. Some people open all kinds of things.

Church Avenue is an intresting story. At some point the Banks and transportation of the same name meets up. This is everyone, including
the young adults playing hookey. Very busy, busy area, even at night.

During the Summer time towards the end of the "Summer of love part Infiinity" there are labor day parades, which can last into the mornings. I do not know about any other celebrations, but it is quite nice, to see and be apart of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City