Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
Well by the looks of things, it looks like a good place, just make sure the building is reasonable and fancy looking. Ha Crooke Avenue........

The problem is Church Avenue and Flatbush are shopping districts.

Flatbush has traffic backed up, and car crashes frequently occurs,
so it is better to drive down the living quarters lanes ( where children , , baby buggies, and families play ) if you do not like crowded streets during morning and night rush hours.

On Flatbush there is alot of shopping areas, for which you can see people who have been ducking out, to keep getting customers.
Most shoppers are young adults from the nearby highschools, and surrounding living quarters areas, once in awhile the streets will be packed with all kinds of people.

I do not like nights, as all the freaks( the insane people mixing in with the youth ), and beggars are outside, along with everybody going home. Because alot of people pass by the area, their are all kinds of businesses. Some people open all kinds of things.

Church Avenue is an intresting story. At some point the Banks and transportation of the same name meets up. This is everyone, including
the young adults playing hookey. Very busy, busy area, even at night.

During the Summer time towards the end of the "Summer of love part Infiinity" there are labor day parades, which can last into the mornings. I do not know about any other celebrations, but it is quite nice, to see and be apart of.
Are you writing in another language and running through Google translate or something? Almost everything you post makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 09:42 PM

6 posts, read 21,240 times
For the record, I don't equate black with dangerous. I just know that the area has a bad reputation, and wanted to make sure it is reasonably safe. The street is also kind of on the edge of Flatbush, so hopefully that makes a difference.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:40 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Another "Is it Safe" thread, and who responds?

Not one person who lives in the area.

One person who actually knows local residents and visits the area.

Another who passes thru biking.

Three others who do not live in the area, do not visit the area, do NOT know anyone in the area, and yet feel qualified to comment as to what it is like living there. They make definitely negative statements w/o any qualifying comments nor reasoning.

These people have NOTHING but negativity in regard to EVERY black neighborhood in the entire city. Yet these people have absolutely NO experience nor personal knowledge of life in any predominately black neighborhood. They certainly have no reason to visit, NOR do they have any friends in the area, and have not walked these streets!

So, one can only wonder, HOW is it, and WHAT is it, that they truly know?

Is every majorily black neighborhood the same?

Why is it, that these people would not live in ANY black neighborhood?

Why is it these people have NOTHING positive to say in regard to ANY black area?

How is it that these people can be so knowing, experienced and damning with EVERY black area?

What is it about these people and their lives which has made them so narrow, shallow, and unknowing?

Well, the answers s/b obvious, but there are two denominators, "black" and "disdain"!

Opps, there it is!
So, I take that as a NO, you don't live in Flatbush and you don't have an answer for the OP...Seems like you blew a gasket for nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulito123 View Post
Hi there,
I'm moving to New York City from Canada and the place I'm renting will be on Crooke Avenue Brooklyn near Prospect Park. Does anyone know if its a safe area? I know its in Flatbush which has a pretty bad reputation.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM

620 posts, read 1,072,457 times
Quote:
another "is it safe" thread, and who responds?

Three others who do not live in the area, do not visit the area, do not know anyone in the area, and yet feel qualified to comment as to what it is like living there. They make definitely negative statements w/o any qualifying comments nor reasoning.

These people have nothing but negativity in regard to every black neighborhood in the entire city. Yet these people have absolutely no experience nor personal knowledge of life in any predominately black neighborhood. They certainly have no reason to visit, nor do they have any friends in the area, and have not walked these streets!

So, one can only wonder, how is it, and what is it, that they truly know?

Why is it, that these people would not live in any black neighborhood?

Why is it these people have nothing positive to say in regard to any black area?

How is it that these people can be so knowing, experienced and damning with every black area?

What is it about these people and their lives which has made them so narrow, shallow, and unknowing?

Well, the answers s/b obvious, but there are two denominators, "black" and "disdain"!

Opps, there it is!

soooo true !!!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,013 times
Quote:
Three others who do not live in the area, do not visit the area, do NOT know anyone in the area, and yet feel qualified to comment as to what it is like living there. They make definitely negative statements w/o any qualifying comments nor reasoning.
These people have NOTHING but negativity in regard to EVERY black neighborhood in the entire city. Yet these people have absolutely NO experience nor personal knowledge of life in any predominately black neighborhood. They certainly have no reason to visit, NOR do they have any friends in the area, and have not walked these streets!
Why is it these people have NOTHING positive to say in regard to ANY black area?
How is it that these people can be so knowing, experienced and damning with EVERY black area?
Opps, there it is!
Flatbush.Has.Bad.Areas.Period.End.Of.Story...No need to take it personal...

Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,529,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityinfonow View Post
I"

coltrane - shut your a** up. I've lived there, and just because you can't get over the fact that most "black" neighbors are shi*** and still have the WORST RACISM in the country as far as black people hating White people who move in - that's not my problem....if you say otherwise it just makes you sound stupid. I'm speaking from experience. Act like you know.

You move into a neighborhood with impoverished people and then want to scream that this represents the ENTIRE black community.

Do you imagine that a wealthy black doctor would be embraced by these people? In fact they might get even WORSE treatment. This is largely the issue behind "black flight".

Its a CLASS thing and you need to stop finding an excuse for your obvious hatred of black people. Where in the world do poor people like people richer than them?

Old 04-20-2012, 06:33 AM

114 posts, read 306,302 times
I am assuming that the OP is white. Anyway, I think that particular area of Flatbush is conducive and reasonable for people that are not of West Indian descent. I am sure the OP will be able to find grocery stores that have foods not catered to only a West Indian demographic.

Is the area pre-dominantly Black? Yes, but so what.

You are by the park. You are only minutes away from the library. And a couple stops on a subway from Downtown.

I am assuming if you had a lot of money, you would rather stay in Park Slope or an area like that. Guess what, I was born and just recently lived in East Flatbush, I would rather live in Park Slope too.

But considering the particular area you are asking about, I dont think its that bad.

So if I were you, I would visit the area and see whether you can adjust.

Now if you were asking me about Utica and Church Ave or Linden and Nostrand Ave, then I would say you shouldn’t stay there. However its not because the area is crime ridden, I just think that you would stick out like a sore thumb.

I hope that helps.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:44 AM

8 posts, read 333,948 times
Flatbush is ok.....I can deal with it.
Flatbush is very busy, Lots of people, Lots of people hanging out on the corners especially in warm weather. It does get loud and noisy, especially around church ave.
Its close to transportation and the park(inside the park away from the entrance is relaxing)

what are the cross streets?

Old 04-21-2012, 07:49 AM

8 posts, read 333,948 times
check out this thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ush-night.html

Old 04-21-2012, 10:10 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,035 times
Quote:

Opps, there it is!
This is why the only legitimate advise on this forum (and probably in for advice in general) comes from people that have intimate first hand experience. How can you advise someone on what it is like living in a neighborhood if you've never lived there? That's not advice, that's an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City