Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Here's my situation, I am an almost 19 year old guy. I was born in CT and lived anywhere between Hartford and New Haven for a good portion of my life until I was around the age of 9. My family then relocated to Albany, NY and I finished HS up there. Every summer I'd venture down to NYC and learned to love it. Made lots of connections down there and couldn't see myself being established anywhere else.

Just a month ago, I moved to Tampa, FL from Albany and realized that NYC is where I need to be. While the weather down here may be nice, I'd rather deal with cloudy, polluted NYC in exchange for a more diverse, younger population, more things to do, better nightlife, and more economic opportunity.

I am a full time internet marketer, so my day consists of working out, tanning, cleaning whatever needs to be done, then sitting down and hardcore working online. I usually work for about 4-6 hours straight before having to get up and go biking or something like that.

The only borough that I really enjoyed being in was Manhattan, specifically Midtown due to its professional feel. East Village wasn't too bad either.

Can you guys throw me some suggestions as to how much money to save and where the best place to live in those two areas would be (Midtown and East Village)?

I only need a studio but a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom would be preferred. I really don't want to spend more than $1,800 for a place if that's possible. I'm not looking to go to college anytime soon, so being near one isn't really a necessity. I also don't need to be near a subway as I will be fine using taxis.

Also, where are the best places to bike in NYC?

Thanks guys,
Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 04:46 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
I presume that by "Internet Marketer" you are self-employed?

The first thing you need to concern yourself with is documenting an income capable of supporting $1800 in rent, not to mention the cost of taxis!

Few, if any LLs will rent to a 18 year old kid with no job.

Also, $1800 is VERY marginal for midtown, and Manhattan in general.

Also, the quality of any place you *might* afford in Manhattan will be FAR less than what you have in Tampa.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I presume that by "Internet Marketer" you are self-employed?

The first thing you need to concern yourself with is documenting an income capable of supporting $1800 in rent, not to mention the cost of taxis!

Few, if any LLs will rent to a 18 year old kid with no job.

Also, $1800 is VERY marginal for midtown, and Manhattan in general.

Also, the quality of any place you *might* afford in Manhattan will be FAR less than what you have in Tampa.
Yes, I am self-employed.

What documents will LL's want to see?

What amount of money would be reasonable to spend on rent in Midtown?

Old 04-17-2012, 05:50 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
It is not a matter of reasonable, it is a matter of what you can afford!!!

Frankly, unless you have a job and/or a guarantor, LL's will NOT rent to you. Particularly at your age!

For a studio, the best you can hope for w/b in the range of $2000 to $3000, and of course much more.

If you are serious, you should probably look into a roommate situation.

Also, if you plan on remaining here long term, YOU WILL NEED A DEGREE! Whatever you are doing it won't last forever....

NYC is the WORST place to be under-educated.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
It is not a matter of reasonable, it is a matter of what you can afford!!!

Frankly, unless you have a job and/or a guarantor, LL's will NOT rent to you. Particularly at your age!

For a studio, the best you can hope for w/b in the range of $2000 to $3000, and of course much more.

If you are serious, you should probably look into a roommate situation.

Also, if you plan on remaining here long term, YOU WILL NEED A DEGREE! Whatever you are doing it won't last forever....

Ok so should I look into a different section of Manhattan?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:08 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,530 times
Midtown is tourist/immigrant ( forienger/outta towner ) area. With enough dollars you will fit in perfectly, until you have none. There is nothing proffessional about it, just a bunch of disrespectful people ( but they all have money in their pockets ). Coperate defines this area.

$1800 rent sound amazing, but how much do you make without counting/looking is the real question. If I was you, I would get two roomates, or something like that, and divide the rent ( but pretend to be low on cash, pretend ). Do not spend too much in NYC unless you are planning to stay, stay. It is not worth it.

You have friends, that is a good thing, because without anybody here, their is no point being in NYC. Then again you can allways make new freinds and deal with that.

Quote:
I will take you Flordia in exchange your Manhattan, says the toad to the frog.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
Midtown is tourist/immigrant ( forienger/outta towner ) area. With enough dollars you will fit in perfectly, until you have none. There is nothing proffessional about it, just a bunch of disrespectful people ( but they all have money in their pockets ). Coperate defines this area.

$1800 rent sound amazing, but how much do you make without counting/looking is the real question. If I was you, I would get two roomates, or something like that, and divide the rent ( but pretend to be low on cash, pretend ). Do not spend too much in NYC unless you are planning to stay, stay. It is not worth it.

You have friends, that is a good thing, because without anybody here, their is no point being in NYC. Then again you can allways make new freinds and deal with that.
What areas of Manhattan would be nice to live in where I can get by paying $1,800 for rent each month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City