Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:35 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,378,331 times

Advertisements

I am coming on my own to NYC to visit my daughter who lives on West 13th Street. I will be arriving by train to Penn Station but have NO IDEA what subway to take and I would like to be daring and use the subway rather than taxi. Last time I took the train to Penn Station I arrived on a Friday around 5 pm and almost had a heart attack -- it was so crowded and I could not even figure out how to get upstairs for a taxi -- it was pretty riduculous. Also -- how do I buy a subway card or tokens?? I am a little terrified of the system but willing to give it a try. Thank you kind New Yorkers for any advice. Oh yes -- I will be arriving on Friday around 1 pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 03:13 PM

279 posts, read 854,054 times
metro card

from penn station take the downtown a train one stop or a downtown c or e train 2 stops to 14 ST

Old 04-15-2012, 03:52 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Yeah, 5pm on a Friday in Penn Station is a bit intimidating.

If you're coming in via Amtrak, then from the waiting area where you come out, face the higher-numbered tracks and exit via the stairs down on the left side, past the escalators up which are marked 34th street. This puts you in a long hallway with stores. Turn left, and you're facing the A/C/E subway. On your right will be a ramp down; this is where you want to go. At the bottom of the ramp, there are three Metrocard machines which only take credit cards.

If you need to pay cash, then instead of taking the ramp, take the stairs up at the end of the hallway, and turn left. Lots of metrocard machines there, but that's the uptown platform. Get your metrocard and head back down the ramp. Pass through the gates, take the stairs up to the middle platform, and wait for a downtown A train (on your left initially). Take that one stop to 14th street.

You can also get a downtown C or E and take them two stops, but it's a bit harder to explain how to get to the platforms. They come more frequently, however.

If you're coming in via LIRR or NJTransit, you might start in a different spot. Just follow the signs for the "A C E", and you should end up at the spot where the stairs and the ramp are.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:24 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,443 times
I'd personally take the 2 or 3 to 14th Street, but it depends on the cross avenue.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:50 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions -- I will come back on next week and let you know how I manaaged.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:12 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,239,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
I am coming on my own to NYC to visit my daughter
Is there some reason, why your daughter can't meet you?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
Frankly, it might be less daunting to make your way to the street, and take the bus along 7th Avenue (I forget the number). The bus driver will assist you and you are FAR less likely to get lost! The bus sytem is far more direct and easier to manage!

To be honest, just take a taxi! Simpler and the cost is minimal.

Go subway exploring later with your daughter, who I imagine is more familiar. Also, why the heck doesn't she meet your train? Just wondering....

Old 04-16-2012, 05:49 AM

455 posts, read 651,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
I am coming on my own to NYC to visit my daughter who lives on West 13th Street. I will be arriving by train to Penn Station but have NO IDEA what subway to take and I would like to be daring and use the subway rather than taxi. Last time I took the train to Penn Station I arrived on a Friday around 5 pm and almost had a heart attack -- it was so crowded and I could not even figure out how to get upstairs for a taxi -- it was pretty riduculous. Also -- how do I buy a subway card or tokens?? I am a little terrified of the system but willing to give it a try. Thank you kind New Yorkers for any advice. Oh yes -- I will be arriving on Friday around 1 pm.
Friday at 1pm is not bad. The trains will be empty. Take a downtown A, C, or E train to 14 st. These trains will leave you on 14 st 8th Avenue. You will have to walk to your daughter's place or take a quick cab ride to her spot.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Is there some reason, why your daughter can't meet you?
Yes -- I am arriving around 1 pm and thankfully she has a full time job.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,983 times
Just for the sake of reference since it was mentioned in the original post, the MTA stopped selling tokens almost a decade ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City