Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:08 PM

55 posts, read 124,408 times

Advertisements

My husband has an internship this summer, which is expected to lead to a job in mid-town. He has been speaking with people in his new company, and others who work in the same industry (investment banking) and someone told him that rents in the Financial District aren't as bad as in other parts of lower manhattan. Whether thats true or not I dont know, but now he is pushing to look into moving there so that his commute isn't so bad.
We have 2 little girls, ages 1 and 2 1/2 and my priority is them, so Im wondering if the Financial District is at all kid friendly? Are there any parks/playgrounds?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 12:11 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
FD is not very kid friendly.
But Battery park city, which is next to the FD, definitely is.

Rent is a pretty high there though.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:19 PM

518 posts, read 1,580,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingIsSexy27 View Post
My husband has an internship this summer, which is expected to lead to a job in mid-town. He has been speaking with people in his new company, and others who work in the same industry (investment banking) and someone told him that rents in the Financial District aren't as bad as in other parts of lower manhattan. Whether thats true or not I dont know, but now he is pushing to look into moving there so that his commute isn't so bad.
We have 2 little girls, ages 1 and 2 1/2 and my priority is them, so Im wondering if the Financial District is at all kid friendly? Are there any parks/playgrounds?

Thanks!
Having only worked in the area, I never saw any type of family oriented restaurants or playgrounds. The area literally "closes" after 6pm when all of the workers go home, leaving the area with a eerie desolate feeling. No cabs to be seen. Most of the shops and restaurants close early - with a handful of bars remaining open to accommodate the poor investment bankers that work late into the evening. Down by the water is a museum and more eateries, but I never saw children playing in the area.

I would ask your RE agent what the neighborhood has to offer as far as family oriented amenities. BPC may be the only choice for a family, but that may not be an option (price vs availability).

Good luck.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 PM

Thats what I thought. Im more considering Park Slope and Forest Hills but my husband has really been pushing the Financial District and I wanted some info on that.

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:28 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
Quote:
Thats what I thought. Im more considering Park Slope and Forest Hills but my husband has really been pushing the Financial District and I wanted some info on that.

Thanks!
Brooklyn Heights is also a good alternative for family friendly location near Financial District in Brooklyn. However it is quite pricey.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:47 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Battery Park City for sure is great for families with kids. The rest of FIDI, not so much. And agree with the option of looking into Brooklyn Heights, which is at most two subway stops away from lower Manhattan. But as was said, neither area will be cheap.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:12 PM

Does anyone have an idea of how long the commute would be from either Park Slope or Forest Hills using public transit? My husband wants to be no more than 30 min away- I dont blame him, hes going to be working killer hours. Im just trying to find the happiest medium for everyone- kid friendly, less than 30 min commute, safe neighborhood- I dont need to go on, its the same list most people have who are moving to NYC with kids

Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I concur on Battery Park City, a nice enclave for kids, but nowhere else in the Financial District...it's all concrete except for Battery Park, but that's not the most kid friendly park either.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:38 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Tribeca is also family friendly ... if you're a very affluent family. It's sometimes listed as the most expensive neighborhood in the city. There are lots of kids and playgrounds, etc. If you live in the FD, look for something in the northeast corner. Also, your kids are very young. They're not going out to play by themselves. The FD has changed a lot since 9-11. There's a lot more down there than people imagine.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:40 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Does anyone have an idea of how long the commute would be from either Park Slope or Forest Hills using public transit? My husband wants to be no more than 30 min away- I dont blame him, hes going to be working killer hours. Im just trying to find the happiest medium for everyone- kid friendly, less than 30 min commute, safe neighborhood- I dont need to go on, its the same list most people have who are moving to NYC with kids
As for "kid friendly", I agree with the other posters. Really not much for the lil ones. Depending on where you'll be in Forest Hills, 30 minutes may just be cutting it close. I would say it's probably about 40 minutes and that's if you're near the subway. Matter of fact, I was at Battery Park a few weeks ago and it took almost 40 minutes to Union Turnpike in Kew Gardens which isn't far from Forest Hills (1 express stop on the E). Not to mention we had to switch like 3 trains. IMO, being in certain parts of Queens can bit out of the way and Forest Hills isn't so cheap. There's also Sunnyside. Very family oriented, lots of diversity, near transportation, lots of shopping, pretty safe and just a few stops from Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City