Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 04:21 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times

Advertisements

Here in Queens, our neighborhoods are used for mailing addresses (for example, 11 Queens Blvd, Long Island City, NY 11101). However, I know that it is different in many areas of the city.

How is your mail addressed to you? Does it go by New York, NY; Bronx, NY; etc? I'm told that some areas of Long Island use LI for their postal abbreviations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
i'm in Riverdale The Bronx so i can use either Riverdale, NY 10471 or Bronx, NY 10471 with no mixups

tho a long time ago when i used to live on a little street called Post Rd in Riverdale, a delivery i was getting got botched because the driver assumed I was on Boston Post Rd, and he ended up all the way on the other side of The Bronx!! I had to guide the driver to my Riverdale address (he was from Connecticut)

Old 04-27-2012, 05:55 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Queens doesn't use neighborhoods. It is based on the 5 main postal zones: Long Island City, Flushing, Jamaica, Floral Park, and Far Rockaway.

Manhattan addresses have New York, NY

Bronx have Bronx, NY with the exception of Marble Hill which has New York, NY (interesting history)

Brooklyn is Brooklyn, NY

Of course you could write, for example, "Forest Hills, NY" with the right zipcode for these boroughs, and it will get there. But above is the standard.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:45 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Riverdale is an exception in the Bronx, as Riverdale, NY is commonly used in place of Bronx, NY, but I have never heard of Kingsbridge, NY being used, despite that being the name of one of the post offices that serves Riverdale.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-27-2012, 08:11 PM

233 posts, read 720,396 times
My employer is located in Jamaica and on all the letterhead and correspondence we use "Queens, NY 11439". I think we do this for public relations purposes, but whatever the reason all our mail gets delivered.

I live in the financial district right now and my address is NY, NY.

I'm moving to LI over the summer and don't know what my address will be out there.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:36 PM

368 posts, read 391,325 times
Keep in mind that while Brooklyn as a city was eventually coterminous with Kings County, and everything in Kings county had mail routed through the Brooklyn city post offices, there has never been a town or a village called "Queens", just as there is no village in Suffolk County called "Suffolk", and no village in Dutchess County clled "Dutchess". Historically, "Queens" was only the name of a county. Before consolidation with New York City in 1898, mail to locations in Queens County were addressed based on the individual post offices; if you were served from the Flushing post office, your address was Flushing, N.Y., and so on. The Postal Service continues this today: there is still no such place for the post office as "Queens, NY"; you are instead considered part of Long Island City (your zip code starts with 110), or Flushing (your zip code starts with 113), or Jamaica (your zip code starts with 114), and so on.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:59 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Mine is NY, NY 10128

Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,282 times
I'm in Woodside but apparently, we're considered a part of Flushing so most of the mail is written as "Flushing".

My other home in Astoria is sometimes addressed as Long Island City, NY but Astoria works as well. I think it really doesn't matter as long as you get the zip code right.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:29 AM

368 posts, read 391,325 times
The old Town of Newtown (which was all of northwestern Queens; the Village of Newtown changed its name to "Elmhurst" in the late 1800s, but you still have the High School under the old name) would have had a post office at one time, but for some reason it was suppressed by the Post office and all of Newtown was split between the Flushing postal district to the east, or the Long Island City (which was cut out of the town of Newtown) postal district to the west.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:00 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
So what happens if somebody mails a letter to somebody in the Bronx. They have the street and street number correct, zip code. But put NY, New York?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City