Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:46 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,567 times

Advertisements

USPS splits up Queens in 5 distinct neighborhoods in their sorting. It's either Flushing, Floral Park, Far Rockaway, LIC or Jamaica. I think it has to do w/ the fact that Queens wasn't consolidated when the postal service began operations, or something along those lines. Odd thing is, when I lived in Maspeth, my mail said Flushing, NY instead of Long Island City, NY. LIC is right next to Maspeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 04:35 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
I live in Maspeth right now...so I can technically write my address as "Flushing, NY"? Or do you mean the post office stamps it as Flushing,NY?

Old 09-18-2007, 05:14 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I live in Maspeth right now...so I can technically write my address as "Flushing, NY"? Or do you mean the post office stamps it as Flushing,NY?
The latter. USPS would stamp it as "Flushing, NY".

Old 09-18-2007, 05:31 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
If you wanted, could you technically put Queens down as your mailing address, or even New York, since it is part of New York City? If you lived in Queens, or any of the outer boroughs, if someone from another area sent you mail that had your address perfect, with the right house number, street, zipcode and everything....but put "new york, ny" instead of "Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, or Bronx"....would you not get your mail? That seems stupid, seeing as you are a resident of New York City. Upstate its actually the opposite....I live in the town of Greece, a suburb of Rochester, yet my mailing address is for "Rochester", as it is for all of the inner ring suburbs....the towns of Greece, Gates, Brighton, Irondequoit, and even Hilton all have "Rochester" as their mailing address.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:44 PM

479 posts, read 879,398 times
Yes the mail would would still get to the neighborhood because of the zip code which is most important.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:54 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
When I was looking to get a teaching job in the city, I had just recently moved to Queens from Suffolk county on Long Island. So my cell's area code is 631, and my town was Maspeth, NY. So many principals never heard of Maspeth, so they assumed it was in Suffolk. I think that affected me not getting as many calls for a job, since I've heard they want people to live fairly close by. I had to convince them that I lived in Queens now lol

So I actually updated my resume and cover letter and just put "Queens, NY" instead of Maspeth, NY. I did that so the Principals would know I live in Queens. I don't know if it was coincidence, but like a week later I was hired.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:41 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
I remember back in the early 60's when zips were just two numbers the address would be for example 125-10 XXXX St Flushing, Queens, 55 NY and then later into the 70's the zip expanded to 11355 and the "Queens" was dropped. Just a change of the times like when phone numbers were in the format LE9-1234 and now the letters are dropped in favor of all numerics.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:10 AM

31 posts, read 384,084 times
Default Queens history

Here's why we use our neighborhood in the address line in Queens instead of Queens, NY (and as far as I know, Staten Island mail is addressed "Staten Island, NY" and not with the specific neighborhood - Queens is the only borough that uses neighborhoods on mail):

(From: TripWiser | New York: USA: New York: New York City trip: Castles in New York | Trip Planner and Itinerary Builder for Family Travel in the USA United States, Canada)

"The United States Postal Service divides the borough into five "towns" based roughly on those in existence at the time of the consolidation of the five boroughs into New York City: Long Island City, Jamaica, Flushing, Far Rockaway, and Floral Park. These ZIP codes do not necessarily reflect actual neighborhood names and boundaries; "East Elmhurst," for example, was largely coined by the United States Postal Service and is not an official community. Most neighborhoods have no solid boundaries. The Forest Hills and Rego Park neighborhoods, for instance, overlap.

Residents of Queens often closely identify with their neighborhood rather than with the borough or city as a whole. Postal addresses are written with the neighborhood, state, and then zip code rather than the borough or city. The borough is a patchwork of dozens of unique neighborhoods, each with its own distinct identity. Howard Beach, Woodhaven, and Middle Village are home to large Italian American populations, Rockaway Beach has a large Irish American population. Astoria, in the northwest, is traditionally home to one of the largest Greek populations outside of Greece, and is home to a growing population of young professionals from Manhattan. Maspeth is home to many European immigrants, including a large Polish population, as well as a large Hispanic population."

Old 09-20-2007, 11:12 AM

31 posts, read 384,084 times
Default Maspeth

You should put down "Maspeth, New York"

Quote:
When I was looking to get a teaching job in the city, I had just recently moved to Queens from Suffolk county on Long Island. So my cell's area code is 631, and my town was Maspeth, NY. So many principals never heard of Maspeth, so they assumed it was in Suffolk. I think that affected me not getting as many calls for a job, since I've heard they want people to live fairly close by. I had to convince them that I lived in Queens now lol

So I actually updated my resume and cover letter and just put "Queens, NY" instead of Maspeth, NY. I did that so the Principals would know I live in Queens. I don't know if it was coincidence, but like a week later I was hired.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:52 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Howcome those are the only 2 boroughs that aren't written as "Queens, NY" and "Staten Island, NY" in their addresses? I've wondered this for a while.
where did you see a neighborhood in staten island used in the address?
because they use staten island, ny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City