Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 01:10 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,065,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
That could be...if I had done a little more checking and seen the Gothamist article above I don't think I would have started the thread. Just goes to show to check things out first.

However there is a certain nanny state mentality that has developed under Bloomberg, maybe not so much at the beginning but certainly the last two or three years
Very true!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 07:42 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,175,515 times
Lol why the hell would they ban happy hour?

Old 04-29-2012, 11:52 PM

7,708 posts, read 12,560,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Why would it surprise anyone that the right wing push to roll back the clock isn't limited to just women's,union,voting rights,immigration and gay issues ? There will probably be outright prohibition pushes in various places around the country in the next few years.
You would be correct...if the right-wing actually controlled New York City.

These laws are implemented by the people you vote in your government. Liberal Democrats. They control ALL of NYC. That's why NYC has turned into a nanny state. So you could quit with the pathetic attempt at the blame game because you have no case. You get exactly what you deserve. More government. Enjoy your freedom while it last.

Last edited by allenk893; 04-30-2012 at 12:07 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 AM

25 posts, read 68,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Why would it surprise anyone that the right wing push to roll back the clock isn't limited to just women's,union,voting rights,immigration and gay issues ? There will probably be outright prohibition pushes in various places around the country in the next few years.

Wait until they start delegalizing interracial marriage.That might provoke at least a bit of a backlash but maybe not.

Are we ever going to wake up to what's going around us ar do we have to wait until the knock comes at our own door ?

The truth is that we have much more to fear from the imposition of fundamentalist christian law in this country than anything else like sharia law.
Knock, knock, knock,....

Since when is the "nanny state" a part of Conservative policy??

The Bloomberg administration is not a part of the Conservative movement.

Is there a single issue, in which your are remotely familiar with the facts?

Just as with this issue, you appear fully clueless and propagandized!

Is it Conservatives which place exorbitant taxes upon behaviour such as smoking and gasoline in order to influence usage? No.

Is there a single Conservative siting on the City Council? Bloomberg adminisrtation?

So, by what method are Conservative values being effected in NYC, and which would these be?

Wake up! Your prejudice in conjunction with your ignorance is causing you to think irrationally.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 AM

555 posts, read 1,180,263 times
SMH...what happen to NYC nightlife..oh how I miss the 90s and wish I was around for the 70s and 80s

Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,065,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
SMH...what happen to NYC nightlife..oh how I miss the 90s and wish I was around for the 70s and 80s

Me too. Would have loved to been at Studio 54 in the 70's.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 AM

555 posts, read 1,180,263 times
Sadly we will moste then likely never see anything like it again. I am sure 2am closing times like boring Los Angeles are coming soon as many places cant even get started unless they promise to close at 2am.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:09 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,360,878 times
people waste their time thinking right wing politicians
promote true freedom, liberty, justice and the american
way of life.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,253,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You would be correct...if the right-wing actually controlled New York City.

These laws are implemented by the people you vote in your government. Liberal Democrats. They control ALL of NYC. That's why NYC has turned into a nanny state. So you could quit with the pathetic attempt at the blame game because you have no case. You get exactly what you deserve. More government. Enjoy your freedom while it last.
Mayor Bloomberg has stated that the story in the Post was entirely made up. There are no plans to eliminate or curtail happy hour--so there is no "liberal" or "right-wing" conspiracy to limit freedom so you guys can just calm down.

That being said, I think the combination of reliable public transportation (which takes away the danger of drunk driving) and relaxed drinking practices does make NYC residents more prone to alcohol problems than some other places. I'm not suggesting we ever limit alcohol, but more public awareness of the effects of drinking couldn't hurt. Too many drunk people falling onto subway tracks and in front of cars these days.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,032,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Mayor Bloomberg has stated that the story in the Post was entirely made up. There are no plans to eliminate or curtail happy hour--so there is no "liberal" or "right-wing" conspiracy to limit freedom so you guys can just calm down.

That being said, I think the combination of reliable public transportation (which takes away the danger of drunk driving) and relaxed drinking practices does make NYC residents more prone to alcohol problems than some other places. I'm not suggesting we ever limit alcohol, but more public awareness of the effects of drinking couldn't hurt. Too many drunk people falling onto subway tracks and in front of cars these days.

aaaannnnndddddd, this is why no one should be reading the Post, pick up a tabloid about Micheal Jackson sleeping with an alien, I am sure that is much more factual than the Post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: