U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 PM
 
4,928 posts, read 7,337,559 times
Reputation: 4372

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Theres nothing wrong with Sustainable projects or mixed use projects , most of NYC is built using the mixed use format ie Retail or cafes on the bottom and residences on the top. It just so happens that this development is in poor taste , but there are alot of developments in NYC that are not and even more in Urban Jersey.

Yes I know there's nothing wrong with it. However the OP beats it to death in every one of his threads. It's extreme overkill and pretentious. Like I said, I'm fairly certain he works for the mayor in some way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,038 posts, read 31,028,045 times
Reputation: 7846
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Yes I know there's nothing wrong with it. However the OP beats it to death in every one of his threads. It's extreme overkill and pretentious. Like I said, I'm fairly certain he works for the mayor in some way.
Seems kind of pointless, you are okay with sustainability, mixed use, and such, yet cause you don't like the OP you attack each of his threads?? NYC is a big city with lots of development, one would think there would be plenty of room in here for those that enjoy talking about new developments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 PM
 
Location: New York
880 posts, read 1,809,266 times
Reputation: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Quiet you!


Sustainable

Pedestrian

Mixed use

Buzz words!!!

um, what...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 PM
 
4,928 posts, read 7,337,559 times
Reputation: 4372
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Seems kind of pointless, you are okay with sustainability, mixed use, and such, yet cause you don't like the OP you attack each of his threads?? NYC is a big city with lots of development, one would think there would be plenty of room in here for those that enjoy talking about new developments.
I don't "attack each of his threads". He's got far too many on the subject to do that. However the way he cheerleads knocking down every little area of this city to make it look like midtown; I speak up about it here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 PM
 
4,928 posts, read 7,337,559 times
Reputation: 4372
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
um, what...

Ummm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 04:01 PM
 
791 posts, read 1,293,859 times
Reputation: 523
Default It's like this

Not everyone is cut out to be a computer programmer, or member of the "information society."

Those folks in Willets Point...lots of them are skilled manual laborers. Glass installers. Auto repair guys. People who make a decent living.

BloomBucks and his ilk want to tractor them out. Oh, sure, they promise jobs. What kind of jobs?

Working retail? Slinging burgers and fries? Can anyone support a family on that?

Oh, and short term construction jobs. Nice while they last. After that?

Those of us who don't wish to see the USA become some kind of economic colony of China have problems, big problems, with this scenario.

I used to work in manufacturing. I'm one of the lucky ones - I got a job making about 50% of what I used to earn in a service industry. Beats living in a homeless shelter.

Cheer on progess, Fox News brainwashees! Look forward to the USA turning into the UK. Don't forget your Cantonese language lessons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 04:32 PM
 
4,928 posts, read 7,337,559 times
Reputation: 4372
^^^^Take your well reasoned logic elsewhere you hater! We're talking about bringing cookie cutter USA to every inch of this city. Don't you understand how important that is? These temporary construction jobs and low paying retail/service jobs are much more important than allowing people who own their businesses and land to actually keep them and support their families. Let's not be irrational here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,038 posts, read 31,028,045 times
Reputation: 7846
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
^^^^Take your well reasoned logic elsewhere you hater! We're talking about bringing cookie cutter USA to every inch of this city. Don't you understand how important that is? These temporary construction jobs and low paying retail/service jobs are much more important than allowing people who own their businesses and land to actually keep them and support their families. Let's not be irrational here.
I agree, and also with that, if developers want to buy out the land outright, I am fine with that too. If this area is so much of a great investment, then I say let the wealthy developers do it for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 AM
 
1,682 posts, read 2,825,418 times
Reputation: 719
I'm response to an earlier comment. That row of stores where the liqour store is located along E 161st St in the Bronx is not Tudor or Art Deco style building. It's a row of single story infill with no architectural significance.

Back on topic, I guess those garages must pay 6 figueres, huh. I don't get the defenses put up for saving this major eyesore on a real opportunity. None seem valid, this will be great for Queens, and the city as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 04:41 PM
 
791 posts, read 1,293,859 times
Reputation: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I'm response to an earlier comment. That row of stores where the liqour store is located along E 161st St in the Bronx is not Tudor or Art Deco style building. It's a row of single story infill with no architectural significance.
You're right. But, some of the buildings in that area are amazing! The one that the Burger King is in...check out those decorative gargoyles! That buildings been there since the 20's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top