U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:25 AM

171 posts, read 271,715 times

Advertisements

dont think this has been posted yet, really shows the propaganda bloombucks is using to get these folks out.
hopefully this time WE win.
Willets Point - Behind the Curbline // Current TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 AM

171 posts, read 271,715 times
one more:
Willets Point: The Iron Triangle on Vimeo

Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,863,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
dont think this has been posted yet, really shows the propaganda bloombucks is using to get these folks out.

But the politicians say they're bad!

I love the city crying about sewage and potholes that THEY are supposed to take care of to use as a justification to steal from people.

The more i think about it the more I realize how repugnant and despicable people like Scatman are.The fact that he can't see how shady, corrupt and immoral this whole thing is is mind boggling.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
The guy who owns the car dealership who says "I dont want to sell" should be the end of this whole discussion.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 AM

4,928 posts, read 7,326,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
The guy who owns the car dealership who says "I dont want to sell" should be the end of this whole discussion.

Or the friggin video I posted on the last page.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:59 PM

3,422 posts, read 6,574,976 times
This is a good debate, despite the personal attacks of "repugnant" and "despicable", which is not necessary! I take eminent domain on a case by case basis......

1. Atlantic Yards: My understanding in that situation was that condo/property owners took a $1 million out, except one dude, who had money to hold out and to bankroll the opposition. If the arena was proposed in 1978, when Prospect Heights was poorer, then one can understand the opposition to putting lower income folk out. But by the time Ratner came along, the area along Pacific Street and the Atlantic Rail was gentrified. It was Hipsters v. Ratner; check that....One Hipster v. Ratner!!!!!!

2. Hudson Yards Stadium: The West Side is in bad need of some development. But notice that the opposition was bankrolled and led by the Dolans, who didn't want any competition to MSG in their neighborhood!

3. Kelo: availableusername, bxlefty and I will agree on this....this one was foul! Kelo was taken off of her property, but Pfizer ended up bailing out on the project, with no penalty and without the City of New London or the State of CT having a backup plan! I do believe that anyone who bails out of an eminent domain project, when the people are put out, should pay a hefty fine!

4. I've said what I had to say on Willets Point. But I'll add: I saw one of the pieces that was put up. I'll acknowledge that there are a couple of other businesses. However, the food businesses, like the Indian spice supplier, can go to Hunts Point. The land is more spread out, there are five highways in the Bronx, and it's closer to I95 (the Cross Bronx), so that trucks can go in and out like they currently do in Queens.

The Fulton food and fish cats ended up going to Hunts Point, without much complaint, and from a truck traffic drop off and pickup perspective, it ended up working out better (trucks driving through Lower Manhattan--not the move, for a whole lot of reasons!). The land is spread out, unlike the Seaport, and the trucks/suppliers have the Bronx highways they can jump on and get off.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,821,133 times
Urban Omnibus » The Iron Triangle

Quote:
All urban neighborhoods change over time, but the process of transformation is rarely as dramatic as the redevelopment planned for Willets Point, Queens. In this week’s feature, Nicole Salazar takes us on a*photographic journey of the Iron Triangle, as Willets Point’s concentration of auto body shops and scrap yards is often called, and offers a overview of its history, development and the local resistance to its planned future. For a place characterized more often by its lack of sewers or sidewalks than by the people who work there, Salazar’s portrait of the neighborhood puts a human face to often faceless urban policy issues such as industrial zoning, retail agglomeration and eminent domain. *-C.S.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Im not attacking you, I'm stating facts about your beliefs on this matter
And if the food suppliers want to go to Hunt's Point thats fine- but if they wanted to they would be there already
The developers can buy land people actually want to sell and develop there

Old 05-15-2012, 01:12 PM

2,003 posts, read 4,523,628 times
Default a real live starbucks

Come on guys. They city is going to build a Starbucks. A real live Starbucks (something that is so hard to find) maybe a Chipoltle, a Wal-Mart and luxury condos. Real true original New York things that are so hard to find. So original and creative. Doesn't the city need the economic diversity that a starbucks will bring?

We owe it to the local oligarchy and ruling class masters to let this totally unique project go forward by allowing them to seize this land with eminent domain.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:37 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,821,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Come on guys. They city is going to build a Starbucks. A real live Starbucks (something that is so hard to find) maybe a Chipoltle, a Wal-Mart and luxury condos. Real true original New York things that are so hard to find. So original and creative. Doesn't the city need the economic diversity that a starbucks will bring?

We owe it to the local oligarchy and ruling class masters to let this totally unique project go forward by allowing them to seize this land with eminent domain.
So NYC is about dying dirty industry? Wake up.

You seem to forget this project is being built by New Yorkers, for New Yorkers. Jobs, housing, and revenue included. The workers are being offered the opportunity to relocate, compensation, even educational grants. You tell me who is standing up for the interest of greater NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City