Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 03:27 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
The arguments are useless because it's plain stupid not to redevelop that area. It is going to happen like it or not.

Yes, Willets Point currently has a higher vacancy rate then the city average.
Yes, there is only one residential resident.
Yes, it is an eyesore.
Yes, it is environmentally destructive.

Automobile usage continues to decline in NYC, along with the need for such facilities.

Located between the growing communities of Flushing and East Elmhurst/Corona. New Stadium even.

Character? Chinatown has character, Willet's Point is an industrial dump I care spend the least time possible in. The current owners will be satisfied financially in the end, no one is loosing out. Stop the sobbing over non-sense. Progress will occur, we have entered a new era in this city over the last few years. Green, sustainable, pro-pedestrian, urban. It's about time.
There land is being seized from them for a lower price...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 03:58 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,674 times
Quote:
The arguments are useless because it's plain stupid not to redevelop that area. It is going to happen like it or not.

Yes, Willets Point currently has a higher vacancy rate then the city average.
Yes, there is only one residential resident.
Yes, it is an eyesore.
Yes, it is environmentally destructive.

Automobile usage continues to decline in NYC, along with the need for such facilities.

Located between the growing communities of Flushing and East Elmhurst/Corona. New Stadium even.

Character? Chinatown has character, Willet's Point is an industrial dump I care spend the least time possible in. The current owners will be satisfied financially in the end, no one is loosing out. Stop the sobbing over non-sense. Progress will occur, we have entered a new era in this city over the last few years. Green, sustainable, pro-pedestrian, urban. It's about time.

You are an absolute agenda driven, failure of a poster. You literally ignore the very important single issue that we all keep "sobbing" about. You are 100% un-american, this I am sure of at this point. But you sure do love cool buzz words:

Green

Pedestrian friendly

Sustainable

Urban

Bicycle

Bee keeping

Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
They should build a multi-purpose school that has PreK - 8 in the morning and offers vocational trades at night to the community. The schools in this area are bursting at the seams for kids, and with limited space at LaGuardia Community College, another site for adult education would benefit everyone.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:52 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,735 times
Quote:
Do you prefer this?

Photos: WiredNewYork.com and QueensAlive.org
In a word, yes.

All of those admittedly not terribly attractive businesses employ skilled laborers who likely make a decent living, and acquire skills they might use to start their own business some day.

What would you have them do? go sell jeans at the Gap? sling burgers at White Castle?

This "redevelopment" crap is yuppie environmental elitism at its absolute worst.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
availableusername,

Under our economic system this is just the way things turn out. While a few may be negatively effected by this development, many more will benefit. I wish the best to those families that will suffer a loss. Still, you can not halt progress.
Are you channelling Robert Moses, dude?

Old 05-04-2012, 03:43 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
This "redevelopment" crap is yuppie environmental elitism at its absolute worst.

If you do a quick search on the OP's threads, you'll notice that he drops in every week or so to make threads about nothing other than "super sustainable, green, blah blah blah..." policies and developments that will surely take this city into an era of yuppie wonderland. I'm 95% convinced that the dude works for the mayor at this point.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
If you do a quick search on the OP's threads, you'll notice that he drops in every week or so to make threads about nothing other than "super sustainable, green, blah blah blah..." policies and developments that will surely take this city into an era of yuppie wonderland. I'm 95% convinced that the dude works for the mayor at this point.
Thing is, I like some of those things.

I used to go up on the roof of my building (near Yankee Stadium; on the Concourse) but then, they alarmed it.

We have a security guard who has the turn off key and I have, so far unsuccessfully, tried to convince him to let me and a few other people to go up there and put in some soil containers and grow some tomatoes. I call it The Great Tomato Conspiracy.

Some kind of city initiative might make it easier to do stuff like this. It's gonna be a long hot summer, and we could grow bushels up there.

To get vaguely back on topic; Yankee Stadium. The taxpayer got a royal reaming on that deal. They insisted on putting in all these parking garages, taking away park land to do so. Then, they're charging a fortune.

They've replaced the public baseball fields for the kids with new ones; better looking, but now you need a "permit." So much for the kids going out to hit a few around on impulse, on a nice day.

Neither I or anyone else in my neighborhood can afford to see a game there. And, if by chance we could? $5 hot dogs? $9 beer?

I'm not looking for a handout but this crap is turning NYC into some kind of theme park for the rich. Bloomie is not the worst guy in the world but he just doesn't get it.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:02 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,048 times
Decent living wage my ass. Skills? You mean common skills in a shrinking trade, with new tech on the horizon.

Many more jobs would be gained, so much housing. You guys are nuts. Will you wait until the vacancy rate reaches a tipping point and a row of shops goes up on flames? A long time coming, and it is coming.

As for the rooftops, I remember those same rooftops being used for more sinister purposes in those low income neighborhoods. If you would like to have a rooftop garden, there are programa for that you can even research on line.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:27 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
Thing is, I like some of those things.

I used to go up on the roof of my building (near Yankee Stadium; on the Concourse) but then, they alarmed it.

We have a security guard who has the turn off key and I have, so far unsuccessfully, tried to convince him to let me and a few other people to go up there and put in some soil containers and grow some tomatoes. I call it The Great Tomato Conspiracy.

Some kind of city initiative might make it easier to do stuff like this. It's gonna be a long hot summer, and we could grow bushels up there.

To get vaguely back on topic; Yankee Stadium. The taxpayer got a royal reaming on that deal. They insisted on putting in all these parking garages, taking away park land to do so. Then, they're charging a fortune.

They've replaced the public baseball fields for the kids with new ones; better looking, but now you need a "permit." So much for the kids going out to hit a few around on impulse, on a nice day.

Neither I or anyone else in my neighborhood can afford to see a game there. And, if by chance we could? $5 hot dogs? $9 beer?

I'm not looking for a handout but this crap is turning NYC into some kind of theme park for the rich. Bloomie is not the worst guy in the world but he just doesn't get it.
Prohibition-Era Liquor Store Near Yankee Stadium Closes Doors - DNAinfo.com

It looks like the forces of gentrification is picking up in and around yankee stadium area. Ive sern alot of changes in that area the past five years.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:36 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,048 times
I wouldn't call that gentrification. A full-featured stadium was built with all the necessities, and an old business lost revenue. More simple capitalism.

I know the area and I find it hard to believe stadium goers were going to Mercedes' liquor store to buy a bottle of Henny. More like he has been outdone by increasing numbers of liquor stores and local nightlife (Dyckman St).

I hope that whole stretch gets gutted and torn down for some at least 8-12 story mixed income housing with ground level retail. As it stands it's an underutilized ghetto row. More jobs, more housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City