Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a 1 bedroon co-op to purchase in the Bronx. I want access to Manhattan via subway alone (no two fare zones).

No kids so schools aren't an issue.
I can get to wherever I need to socialize and entertain myself so it doesn't have to be in the neighborhood.
My job takes me to the Bronx, Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn so I need good subway access.
I am a woman, so I would like to feel comfortable walking around at night, as I come home late from work quite often.
I own a car, and I would like to have minimal alternate side parking issues.

My affordability range is $150- $175K, considering that I would have to put down 20 percent to avoid PMI. It is affordable from a monthly mortgage perspective.

I would like my monthly maintenance (co-op fees) to be as low as possible.

Suggestions for neighborhoods would be helpful so I can start looking around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 10:30 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
I know nothing about the Bronx, but given the OP's criteria of;

*1 Br
*Good subway access
*low mantience fee (Please specify range?)
*Parking
*Safe at night.

All for no more than 175k.

I'm really curious to see what places (if any) fit this criteria.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:48 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Co-op city?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 AM

51 posts, read 104,367 times
I remember about a year ago I saw some 1 and 2 bdrm coop apts in the 170k range at 800 Grand Concourse with a doorman and parking.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:57 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
I moved from Brooklyn to The Bronx a few years ago and looked thoroughly for 2 years in literally every neighborhood that has co ops.Looked in Riverdale,various South Bronx neighborhoods,Kingsbridge,Van Cortlandt Village,Woodlawn,Bedford Park,Morris Park,Pelham Bay,Pelham Parkway,Parkchester to name just a few.

Money was not an issue .Even Riverdale is pretty affordable compared to the rest of the city.I decided against some neighborhoods(like Riverdale) for transportation issues and against some neighborhoods because of negative vibes.In the end I decided on Pelham Parkway because of it's combination of low crime,lot's of parks,lots of shopping and good subway and other transportation options.It's a very diverse neighborhood with a pretty good vibe.I am 2 blocks from the 2 and 5 trains which give East Side and West Side options,2 blocks from the express bus and about a 15 min walk to metro north.Running time on the subways to mid town is about 30 to 35 mins on the 5 express or 40 0r 45 mins on the 2.A healthy mixture of everyone here,about 35% Hispanic,30% white,25% black,10% Asian.Runner up was northern Bedford Park around Mosholu Parkway South.

There are lots and lots of co op buildings and a few condo buildings in the neighborhood.Prices run from around $100,000 ( + or -)for a studio to $125,000 to $175,000 for a 1 br to $ to $160,000 to $200,000 or so for a 2 br. Maintenances average around 400 or 450 on studios,550 to 650 on 1 br's to maybe 800 on 2 br's.

There are some great,financially sound buildings and some not so great ones.Feel free to ask for specifics if you get interested in the neighborhood as I have a very good base of knowledge on literally every co op building in the neighborhood and most co op buildings in The Bronx.I looked at apartments in and investigated almost all of them.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-05-2012 at 11:10 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,221 times
The Grand Concourse between 138 and 165th street. Many of those pre-war buildings are converting to co-ops, and those apartments were very spacious compared to the newer developments of today.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:05 AM

518 posts, read 1,580,203 times
Hi , I'm in Pelham Parkway South.(Bronx Zoo stop) There are some absolutely beautiful co-ops in my area in your price range.

The 2 train takes you into the city in 40 minutes & you can catch the #5 two stops down at 180 Street

The area is diverse and safe. I have come home at 11pm at night, solo (I am a lady) and never been bothered. The train although has service disruption for constructions also has great bus service and the Express Bus will take you into Midtown. (Im not sure what the bus number is. )

BlueDog2 will probably chime in on this topic. He helped me pick a neighborhood and after I came up here a few times I was sold. (Literally)

Its not a night life hot spot , whihc is probably why it is so quiet at night, but that's not an issue for you.

My co-op is 1100sq feet - so Ive got about 900ft of actual sq footage, 2 bed rooms , eat in kitchen and separate dining room.

I can recommend a great RE agent who went above and beyond for us, and I can also recommend a great mortgage broker if you need that sort of thing.

Good luck.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I moved from Brooklyn to The Bronx a few years ago and looked thoroughly for 2 years in literally every neighborhood that has co ops.Looked in Riverdale,various South Bronx neighborhoods,Kingsbridge,Van Cortlandt Village,Woodlawn,Bedford Park,Morris Park,Pelham Bay,Pelham Parkway,Parkchester to name just a few.

Money was not an issue .Even Riverdale is pretty affordable compared to the rest of the city.I decided against some neighborhoods(like Riverdale) for transportation issues and against some neighborhoods because of negative vibes.In the end I decided on Pelham Parkway because of it's combination of low crime,lot's of parks,lots of shopping and good subway and other transportation options.It's a very diverse neighborhood with a pretty good vibe.A healthy mixture of everyone here.Runner up was northern Bedford Park around Mosholu Parkway South.

There are lots and lots of co op buildings and a few condo buildings the neighborhood.Prices run from around $100,000 ( + or -)for a studio to $125,000 to $175,000 for a 1 br to $ to $160,000 to $200,000 or so for a 2 br. Maintenances average around 400 or 450 on studios,550 to 650 on 1 br's to maybe 800 on 2 br's.

There are some great,financially sound buildings and some not so great ones.Feel free to ask if get interested in the neighborhood as I have a very good base of knowledge on literally every co op building in the neighborhood and most co op buildings in The Bronx.I looked at apartments in and investigated almost all of them.
My vote is with Pelham Parkway too. Though I moved out of the area in December, I still highly recommend it. It has everything except a night life (which you're not interested in anyway). One note about having a car though, I have a car too and I'd suggest that you go for a building that has parking. You might be on the wait list for a year or two, but the benefits of having a parking spot are great. Pelham Parkway "looks" like it has a lot of street parking in the area but trust me, as soon as you come back past 11PM, you'll find that it's not so easy to find a parking spot. I remember before I got the parking spot in my building, I would make sure that I was home before a certain hour so I could get parking! It was almost like those people that have to leave by a certain time to make sure they catch the last Metro North train LOL!

Old 04-05-2012, 12:27 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times
Pelham Parkway sounds like an interesting area. Can you name the specific train lines/stops within this neighborhood?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:55 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Pelham Parkway sounds like an interesting area. Can you name the specific train lines/stops within this neighborhood?
#2 to Pelham Parkway and White Plains Rd (there is also an #5 that stops here but it is only during rush hour peek direction)

#5 to Pelham Parkway and Williamsbridge Rd (this is not the same #5 I mentioned above. This #5 stops on the other side of PP which is further away from the commercial strip on White Plans road although there are stores and some nice restaurants down Willimasbridge Rd)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City