Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:23 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmacked View Post
Agreed. Enclosed people tend to think that everyone in the hood are worthless hood rats... My father was a Jamaican immigrant who worked 6 days a week as a construction worker and had a garden in which he shared vegetation with anyone on the block.

It's usually the second/third generation spring offs of immigrants that degrade the neighborhood.

Not coming at hilltopjay, thou saying in general...
Very true but remember...the bad ruin it for the good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 06:50 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
I don't think the bronx gets treated any more unfairly. Maybe a few years ago but now no. There are actually quite a few posters who are great promoters of the bronx like bluedog for instance. Hey it could be worse you could be SI which nobody ever talks about...

Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I don't think the bronx gets treated any more unfairly. Maybe a few years ago but now no. There are actually quite a few posters who are great promoters of the bronx like bluedog for instance. Hey it could be worse you could be SI which nobody ever talks about...
I still think the Bronx gets a bad rep. I wish it didn't though. The average person who is not from the Bronx views the Bronx as "Da Bronx" or the "Boogie Down". And there lies the problem. That needs to change. You start with addressing the demographic that contributes to the Bronx being "Da Bronx".

Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I still think the Bronx gets a bad rep. I wish it didn't though. The average person who is not from the Bronx views the Bronx as "Da Bronx" or the "Boogie Down". And there lies the problem. That needs to change. You start with addressing the demographic that contributes to the Bronx being "Da Bronx".
Well I should have been more specific. I was speaking in regards to this website. Out in the "real world" yes the bronx has a bad rep. The funny thing is people talk so much trash and they barely set foot in here. The bronx has some great things about it. Like the cheap rent and the great parks to name a few. A few weekends back my beautiful wife and I were taking a romantic stroll through one of the breathtaking nature paths in Van Cortlandt Park and I couldn't help but think "hey so this is the Bronx huh. Not bad at all." You can live a nice life here. In a way I'm kinda happy it has a bad rep because it keeps the hype machine out and it keeps the place genuine and organic.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Well I should have been more specific. I was speaking in regards to this website. Out in the "real world" yes the bronx has a bad rep. The funny thing is people talk so much trash and they barely set foot in here. The bronx has some great things about it. Like the cheap rent and the great parks to name a few. A few weekends back my beautiful wife and I were taking a romantic stroll through one of the breathtaking nature paths in Van Cortlandt Park and I couldn't help but think "hey so this is the Bronx huh. Not bad at all." You can live a nice life here. In a way I'm kinda happy it has a bad rep because it keeps the hype machine out and it keeps the place genuine and organic.
But you can get the same feeling if you walk in Riverdale. Only difference is the surrounding area isn't ghetto. Why? Because ghetto residents do live in Riverdale.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Quote:
The bronx has some great things about it. Like the cheap rent and the great parks to name a few. A few weekends back my beautiful wife and I were taking a romantic stroll through one of the breathtaking nature paths in Van Cortlandt Park and I couldn't help but think "hey so this is the Bronx huh. Not bad at all." You can live a nice life here. In a way I'm kinda happy it has a bad rep because it keeps the hype machine out and it keeps the place genuine and organic.
I was thinking the same thing this weekend. On Sunday I was at the Botanical Gardens with my kids walking through the azalea gardens - ridiculously beautiful. I'm just a couple of blocks away from the NYBG, and other people were there from all over the world to visit. I also think that the negative reputation has effected some people who live here - they were brought up hearing bad things about the Bronx and don't fully appreciate all the great things in their own borough. I grew up in the suburbs and couldn't walk anywhere, not even a deli much less a world class garden.

NooYowkur, where were you in Van Courtlandt? I've been a couple of times and was kind of underwhelmed, unfortunately. I've been on nature trails, but they were pretty frequently intersected by highways. It's a huge park though and I keep thinking I just haven't been to the nicest part yet.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:27 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
The problem with the BX is that aside from a few areas, it all feels like a slum. There's no breathing room. Everything looks congested and run down. The buildings, people, cars, etc... I dont travel to or thru the Bronx unless I absolutely have to. No matter how sunny it is, it always feels grey in the Bronx.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
The problem with the BX is that aside from a few areas, it all feels like a slum. There's no breathing room. Everything looks congested and run down. The buildings, people, cars, etc... I dont travel to or thru the Bronx unless I absolutely have to. No matter how sunny it is, it always feels grey in the Bronx.
I agree to a certain point. The main culprit for this rundown look are the current residents. They have a lower standard of living. The concentration of this demographic is extremely high. That's why I think a higher class of people with higher incomes is necessary in the Bronx to dilute the low income demographic stronghold. That's why I support gentrification in the Bronx because it will bring a higher class of people to the borough hopefully helping shed it's "ghetto" stigma.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 PM

507 posts, read 513,974 times
It's so funny I found this thread today because my coworker and I decided on our way back from a business trip from Connecticut and decided to hit up Gyro King on East Fordham Road. The area was busy as hell but driving down there it was absolutely nice. It was right around Fordham University (my first time in the area) but it wasn't bad

Everything was convenient and located right near the subway station. A bit too busy for me and too much noise, but hey that is what the people want that is what they will get. I can understand why some people hate on the Bronx because one they have never been, two, the person presenting all the info doesn't have a positive thing to say, or finally, that is just how they feel

Where I was no problem but I did see signs for Soundview and I cringed a little bit. Even on here that gets a bad rap and from what I hear/read it has earned it's reputation

Old 05-01-2012, 03:49 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
I think the hating has been tempered a lot in the last few years as more and more people have been moving in from other boroughs.And every time a newbie takes the plunge he/she seems to bring at least a few others soon after.That's what happened with me.After I moved to The Bx ,friends who had almost never set foot here saw my place and neighborhood and realized there were great deals on apartments.A few moved here from Williamsburg like me and a few of my fellow teachers have moved here from Westchester !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: