Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,806,771 times

Advertisements

By doorman I don't mean a guy who is by the door and holds it open for you (even though that's his duty if he sees you need help), I mean the guy who is behind the counter in the lobby.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 AM

991 posts, read 1,762,662 times
One thing that is not mentioned is that it's not just the doorman itself. A doorman building will usually have a host of staff such as porters, handymen and not just the super. The common areas are generally kept cleaner, the garbage is taken out for you and there is generally someone on hand should there be a problem. If the walk-up has a live-in super you may get the same supers but many of the walk-ups, especially in Manhattan south of 96th are likely to have a super who manages a number of different buildings.

The other thing is that if you are working all sorts of hours the doorman gives the added convenience of having an on-site guardian should you need anything done during the day.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,901,512 times
My building is in between. We have everything but a doorman - and the super is on-site so he accepts packages for us. One less person to tip at the holidays, and no one to wonder about comings and goings.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 AM

44 posts, read 109,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
Benefits: someone opening the door for you, and someone accepting UPS/Fed Ex packages and that's pretty much it.

Other Perks:
If you're married and have lots of ladies friends, your doorman might gossip.

If you're single and don't bring any ladies friends, your doorman might gossip.

If you don't tip during the holiday season, your doorman might be slow to open the door and forgot to accept packages, etc.

If you're not a friendly person (eg; like to greet people in the AM, say thank you to someone who open a door to you, etc) then you might want to skip the doorman building.

A doorman = salary, health benefits, 401K, etc. Expect an annual increase in rent.

I would rather live in a non-doorman, concierge building. I like my privacy.
I heard about the gossiping part, but I thought it was a joke, i'm actually shocked now...And who does the doorman gossip to? other neighbors? If so, then how much does a tenant typically talk to a doorman on a daily basis? (5 minutes, 10, 20?)....I would expect gossiping and being nosy about neighbors business to happen in a some small country town, but not in a big city like NYC where I'd expect everyone to mind their own business...

Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 AM

455 posts, read 649,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittgenstein83 View Post
I heard about the gossiping part, but I thought it was a joke, i'm actually shocked now...And who does the doorman gossip to? other neighbors? If so, then how much does a tenant typically talk to a doorman on a daily basis? (5 minutes, 10, 20?)....I would expect gossiping and being nosy about neighbors business to happen in a some small country town, but not in a big city like NYC where I'd expect everyone to mind their own business...
Other neighbors, building staff, etc. Remember, this dude is either standing by himself the whole day or sitting behind a desk with nothing to do. A tenant does not have to talk. The doorman/lobby staff will create stories, gossip etc even if there is no such validity to it. Gossiping happens everywhere. Office, school, apt buildings, etc.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 AM

33,511 posts, read 46,891,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittgenstein83 View Post
Do not expect this to be the norm, just as gossiping may occur with some doormen, I'm sure there are others who handle their job professionally.

And not "minding your own business" is a social deficiency that can happen anywhere, regardless of the social climate. It is not limited to small town USA.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 AM

5,510 posts, read 8,709,798 times
One other good thing about a doorman that no one has mentioned: They're a great if you have children who are old enough to come and go on their own. They can be another pair of eyes when parents aren't there and let you know if the kids are up to any mischief or they can serve as a first stop in an emergency for a latch-key kid.

And yes, you have to be on civil terms with them for this to happen. But a few words every day, some common courtesy and respect and a little Christmans tip is worth it to know they're at least aware of what the kids are up to and will let you know. It's why a lot of parents prefer doormen buildings if they can afford them.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,315,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

I look at houses in the suburbs and ask myself repeatedly "What deters burglars?"
What deters burglars? The alarm system (which in the more posh suburbs, can be elaborate)...

My building has a "virtual doorman" that can accept packages, Fresh Direct deliveries (there is a package room and cold storage in the lobby), and "announce guests".

I wonder what the price difference is between the virtual one and a real one?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 AM

33,511 posts, read 46,891,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
What deters burglars? The alarm system (which in the more posh suburbs, can be elaborate)...

My building has a "virtual doorman" that can accept packages, Fresh Direct deliveries (there is a package room and cold storage in the lobby), and "announce guests".

I wonder what the price difference is between the virtual one and a real one?
Virtual doormen becoming more ubiquitous -- Engadget

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-01-2012, 12:30 PM

446 posts, read 993,491 times
Doormen aren't always what they're cracked up to be. I work as a petsitter on the side, and I can't tell you how many times I've gone up to a doorman, asked for the key to a certain apartment, and they just hand it to me without checking ID or having any idea who I am is what I'm there for. One time, a doorman was unable to find the key, so he just HANDED me the building master key!!! No questions asked, I could've been any schmoe off the street! And these are usually luxury, supposedly high-security buildings with million dollar apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: