Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 PM

23 posts, read 65,227 times

Advertisements

I applied for an apartment at this location last fall (current moniker "Metro 125). I was contacted in March to begin the interview process, which has been rather sloppy (on management's part).

I have walked the area in the afternoon, and had some reservations about street safety. The sidewalk in the front of the Pathmark, a block away, seems to have an exponential increase in the number of businessmen operating there, from, say 2 years ago. In addition, the Washington Hotel, immediately next door to Metro 125, is clearly an hourly operation, with a very sad-looking lady patrolling the corner.

I have previously lived in central Harlem, between 7th & 8th Avenue in the 130's, in the late 90's and early oughts, so it's not Harlem per se that has me hesitating.

East Harlem has always been more mumblety-peg, but as a middle-aged disabled person, I would like to hear others opinion on the corridor from Lexington to the river.

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 06:00 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,813 times
During the Day: lots of homeless men from the shelter.
At night: Lots of homeless men who dont want to go to the shelter.

Lex ave from 125th to 116th is a little rough, as goes 3rd ave, by Taino Towers and 2nd Ave to the river by Wagner. East harlem is a little rougher than Central Harlem, especially that corridor. There were a few high profile incidents in the area over the past few years. With your experience in harlem back in the day, I think you'd be ok.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:51 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
you'll be fine. just be street smart. dont go in the projects at night, stay away from where theres a high police surveilance.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 PM

Boros: Do you mean the shelter on Ward's Island?

Hellsup: Okay - could you name a couple of these high surveillance areas?

Thanks to both of you for replying.

ginnie

Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnienyc View Post
Boros: Do you mean the shelter on Ward's Island?

Hellsup: Okay - could you name a couple of these high surveillance areas?

Thanks to both of you for replying.

ginnie
Yes. The M35 Bus picks up and drops off in the Area. So you have a constant stream of folks from the mens shelter moving through the area at all times of the day.

You will know the high surveillance areas by the NYPD security cameras on the light posts, or Skywatch. The Tower of Fun as I like to call it..

Old 05-04-2012, 07:49 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,731 times
Get it while its cheap. 20-30 years ago people were saying how rough Chelsea, Hells Kitchen, Harlem etc etc was...plenty of people kicking themselves now. And crime is no where near what it was back then

Old 05-04-2012, 05:05 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments. I will be looking at the apartment the end of next week, will walk the nabe at night (10-11pm) on Saturday, and then make a decision.

Skywatch? I call it Skybox - I thought they only did that in midtown and Zucotti Park. Aargh, I wanted to escape the all-seeing eye.

If this doesn't work out, I will probably be exiting nyc, as I have tried for 2 years to get a place through the lottery system. Ten years ago, the process was involved but possible; now it is very corrupt, in my experience.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
Get it while its cheap. 20-30 years ago people were saying how rough Chelsea, Hells Kitchen, Harlem etc etc was...plenty of people kicking themselves now. And crime is no where near what it was back then
Chelsea and Hells Kitchen don't have the density of Public Housing that East Harlem does.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnienyc View Post
Thanks everyone for your comments. I will be looking at the apartment the end of next week, will walk the nabe at night (10-11pm) on Saturday, and then make a decision.

Skywatch? I call it Skybox - I thought they only did that in midtown and Zucotti Park. Aargh, I wanted to escape the all-seeing eye.

If this doesn't work out, I will probably be exiting nyc, as I have tried for 2 years to get a place through the lottery system. Ten years ago, the process was involved but possible; now it is very corrupt, in my experience.
Have you tried the mitchell Lama system. There are a couple of developments with open waiting lists. The towers on 135th and Lenox has an open waitlist.

Here are some immediate occupancy Mitchell Lama Developments you should seriously look into.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/download...ting-Lists.pdf

Old 05-06-2012, 08:59 PM

Thanks, Boros, for the heads-up re: Mitchell-Lama. Unfortunately, when I tried to get on the waiting list at Bethune Towers 2 years ago, they told me my income was too low, and I think that will be the case with the rest of them, as well.

However, I will look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City