U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 06:20 PM

6,682 posts, read 7,547,945 times

Advertisements

ginnienyc what happened with the apartment? Did you get it and not take it or was it not offered to you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 01:23 PM

44 posts, read 46,838 times
Has anyone else moved in??

Old 08-13-2012, 11:12 PM

19 posts, read 46,554 times
"The neighborhood suffers from many social issues, such as the highest jobless rate in New York City, teenage pregnancy, AIDS, drug abuse, homelessness, and an Asthma rate 5 times the national average."

I would suggest taking a cab back and forth from work. East Harlem has Manhattan's highest violent crime rate. But as long as your not apart of the culture, then why would you be gang banged or killed over drug money lol? Robberies would be your biggest concern...

But why not somewhere more pleasant in Queens? Who cares about being trendy? You're already looking East Harlem haha. The neighorhood has to have of the most inflated real estate prices in the country! just because its in Manhattan! Its like living in the South Bronx but with a much heftier price tag! and as you know, if you aren't a native to the neighborhood you will be paying a lot more then you should in the old buildings. Probably twice as much as your neighbors

Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 PM

6,792 posts, read 6,268,268 times
@uppereastsider94street
i disagree with your comment "Its like living in the South Bronx but with a much heftier price tag!" absolutely not. east harlem is in the midst of a transition which will take a little while to implement. the south bronx, especially nabes like mott haven, highbridge, west farms, castle hill, east tremont and soundview are far worse. they will take an extremely long time to be turned around, without a strong plan. you want c-town, & bravo, and old wilted vegetables, and disgusting meats, along with your drug trafficing neighbor? go right ahead, and move to those sections of the bronx. along the 125th corridor, you have so many options for transit, it's almost mindboggling. sure you'll see undesirables such as your local blockhuggers from wagner, & taino, recovering druggies, & such, but i assure you, if you don't bother them, they wont bother you. there is a huge police presence on 125th and lexington, with the precinct just 2 blocks away, so don't sleep. the area will be turned around. i'm fond of the tapestry condo on 125th & 2nd ave. there you have the downtown m15 bus, literally right on the side of the building, along with pathmark, 24 hour, and late night food options such as pathmark, ihop, popeyes, and mcdonalds, and shopping right at your feet. not to mention free wi-fi in jefferson park.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:36 AM

24,401 posts, read 34,225,907 times
ginnie,

Is that the new 8-story red brick wiith the beige trim on the SouthEast corner of 125th and Third. Since your income must be very limited to be too low for Mitchell Lama take the apartmment if you "win" the lottery (I asssume 80/20 housing?) You won't find anything at Market prices.
The block to the East looks like Hell warmed over but the area around Pathmark is hustly-bustley which usually means safe.
It would do a lot for the area if they shut down that bottle reclamation mess at the back of the PATHMARK.

I hope your disability doesn't preclude you from using the subway at Lex...that is one of the perks of the area.

<I've recently decided to make that PATHMARK MY grocery store since it is only a single stop from 86th. Fast enough even to keep the ice cream hard. (Breyer's was $1.99 this weekend.)>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City