Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times

Advertisements

To offer an alternative to people who are a distance from the Queens Blvd subway lines and the 7. Do you think it's worthwhile? I'm not sure, given the price of an LIRR ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 12:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
I remember reading an article about that (I believe it's where the tracks intersect Broadway). In any case, the primary users would be reverse-commuters, just like in Flushing. If you're going to Port Washington, it's a lot easier to take the LIRR than to take the local (7) to Flushing, and then take the N20/21 to the N23. Even if you're going out to say, Bayside, it's an easier trip via the LIRR than the subway to the bus.

Of course, riders to/from Manhattan benefit too (I mean, the two subway stations in the vicinity of the LIRR are both local stations), but that's not the main purpose. It's the same thing with adding more Metro-North stations in The Bronx. Nobody living in Hunt's Point is going to pay $7.50 to reach Manhattan, but they might be willing to pay $2.75 to get to Westchester, or another part of The Bronx like Co-Op City (especially since the monthly passes are fairly reasonable)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City