Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:33 PM

19 posts, read 82,698 times

Advertisements

Hate to start another racially-based thread, but as the only white girl within at least twenty blocks of my apartment, I gotta ask:

Is there ANYTHING I can do to stop people from harassing me? Almost daily, I get comments like "go back to Brooklyn" or "hey whitey", or "white chocolate", or "what up, casper". I don't usually let it bother me too much, and I'm sure the residents here resent me to some degree, as I represent part of what they're calling "gentrification" in the South Bronx (a polite term for "the whites are starting to move there"). I try not to call attention to myself, but I'm about as pasty-white as they come, and I can't hide that. And it seems the nice weather has brought out more heckling.

Should I respond, and assert myself, or ignore it and walk away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 06:35 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxchick View Post
Hate to start another racially-based thread, but as the only white girl within at least twenty blocks of my apartment, I gotta ask:

Is there ANYTHING I can do to stop people from harassing me? Almost daily, I get comments like "go back to Brooklyn" or "hey whitey", or "white chocolate", or "what up, casper". I don't usually let it bother me too much, and I'm sure the residents here resent me to some degree, as I represent part of what they're calling "gentrification" in the South Bronx (a polite term for "the whites are starting to move there"). I try not to call attention to myself, but I'm about as pasty-white as they come, and I can't hide that. And it seems the nice weather has brought out more heckling.

I am a Korean male born and raised in Queens, NY. I grew up thinking Koreans ruled the world. I recently moved to Yonkers and travel to the Bronx daily for work. Koreans are a very small percentage of the Bronx population. Around Allerton, people tend to know me so it's ok. But, around Wakefield and the South Bronx, I can hear "Hey Chino!" or "I got that piff!" lol. Sometimes the young ones or random crack heads try to start **** but I dont pay attention. It's stupid to acknowledge stupid people. But if they get physical, out comes the muy thai.

Bronxchick, I tell my little sister who goes to school in Brooklyn: Ignore the name calling, but never let them touch you. NYC is dangerous but nothings impossible. Just keep your head up and walk with pride. Stay alert. I never look down, especially in shady neighborhoods.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:37 PM

470 posts, read 1,707,512 times
What a bunch of damn bullies.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:41 PM

242 posts, read 926,820 times
how is sobro? what street are you around? i kinda figured the whole thing was a real estate scam. Unless you need studio space i don't see the point in living down there. Check out riverdale, throgs neck, pelham bay, morris park. Still cheap, but less trash.

In the mean time ignore them and consider carrying pepper spray, a knife, tactical baton, gun whatever. You'll probably never need it, but the confidence you gain from knowing that your armed is a protection in and of itself.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:46 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Dont assert yourself. Ignore what they say. Dont let them touch you though. But if they say somehting to you, theres no point in responding. They're gonna think you're disrespecting them and thats not going down with them.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:41 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,829 times
What area are you in?

Old 09-18-2007, 10:55 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
Yeah, dear God, just get out of the South Bronx. The white population in most of "So Bro" is like 2-3%. You're not going to change anything in your neighborhood, it was bad before you got there and it'll be just as bad when you leave.

If you want to live in a affordable hispanic & black neighborhood, at least live in a decent one. Places like Parkchester, Norwood, Bedfoord Park, Pelham Parkway (by the 2) all come to mind as neighborhoods where you're not going to be openly harassed for being white.

If you can afford to go a little bit more upscale then that you should look into neighborhoods like Morris Park, Riverdale, Throggs Neck, Country Club, etc.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:49 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxchick View Post

Time to move. It ain't gonna get any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock247 View Post
how is sobro? what street are you around? i kinda figured the whole thing was a real estate scam. Unless you need studio space i don't see the point in living down there. Check out riverdale, throgs neck, pelham bay, morris park. Still cheap, but less trash.

In the mean time ignore them and consider carrying pepper spray, a knife, tactical baton, gun whatever. You'll probably never need it, but the confidence you gain from knowing that your armed is a protection in and of itself.
SoBro... Haha. Thank God I don't hear that one in real life.

Good area recommendations though. Riverdale, Throgs Neck, Pelham Bay, Morris Park. Might want to throw in Country Club. Good deals if you look, you don't have to settle for a trashy ghetto like the South Bronx.

As for the weapons suggestions, I disagree.

1. They are illegal (Everything in NYC is illegal). An ASP baton is illegal and dangerous to someone who does not know how to use it. A knife, lets say we can make it illegal. We can classify it as a dangerous knife no matter what size/type or even call it a gravity knife if it's a folder. Easy collar. A lot of cops would even arrest a harmless White female for a little knife for a few bucks overtime. Especially in vicious areas like the South Bronx.

2. Being a female a perp can easily overpower her and take it or up the antie since she pulled out a weapon.

3. Gun. Haha good luck. The only people in NYC with guns are police and criminals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Dont assert yourself. Ignore what they say. Dont let them touch you though. But if they say somehting to you, theres no point in responding. They're gonna think you're disrespecting them and thats not going down with them.
2x.

To the OP. Unless you like getting down and dirty. In the Bronx this means getting jumped. You shouldn't try and be assertive. Ignore them and keep it moving. Welcome to the ghetto where you have to fight for "respect". Even then people will still harrass you. An endless cycle of ghetto bull****.

The leading cause of homicides in the Bronx today is petty beef. Stupid arguments that escalate and lead to someone getting killed. Rates mean nothing. In these neighborhoods if you start a problem there is a good chance that person try to kill you over stupid neighborhood "respect". They might not get to kill you but they sure will try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah, dear God, just get out of the South Bronx. The white population in most of "So Bro" is like 2-3%. You're not going to change anything in your neighborhood, it was bad before you got there and it'll be just as bad when you leave.

If you want to live in a affordable hispanic & black neighborhood, at least live in a decent one. Places like Parkchester, Norwood, Bedfoord Park, Pelham Parkway (by the 2) all come to mind as neighborhoods where you're not going to be openly harassed for being white.

If you can afford to go a little bit more upscale then that you should look into neighborhoods like Morris Park, Riverdale, Throggs Neck, Country Club, etc.
2x.

Although I would say the Parkchester complex becuase the neighborhood is like the South Bronx. Norwood and Bedford Park are like it now in certain spots too.

The next group of neighborhoods are a lot better. Morris Park, Riverdale, Throggs Neck, Country Club, etc.

I don't get it. NYC is not worth this. In fact you can live in a much better area if you look. If I were you I would be looking for a better place to live. Even in NYC there are much better affordable areas to live.

It's funny this topic came up. The other day I was watching the local news and they were talking about the gentrification going on in Harlem. The locals said the Whites were trying to take their community. They were pissed. A White yuppy was questioned later who lives in the area and asked what he thinks about the African American culture in Harlem. He responded something like "this neighborhood would be a lot better with less African anything". I'm not even joking. I wasn't surprised becuase it wasnt the first time I saw this kind of thing on the news when they questioned a yuppy in a low income Black/Latino area. Another guy in Port Morris on another special said the neighborhood would get better as the locals got kicked out. Those were pretty much his words. Unbeliveable.

A lot of tension is building. It's gonna be interesting. Racism is alive and well and can easily be triggered. It is especially bad among low income people who are pissed the hell off at the gentrifiers. Unlike what real estate and some forumers would lead you to belive, this is the reality.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
A knife, lets say we can make it illegal. We can classify it as a dangerous knife no matter what size/type or even call it a gravity knife if it's a folder. Easy collar.
That's some real bull**** right there. Self-defense is illegal in NYC, period.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:57 AM

470 posts, read 1,707,512 times
Where's the pressure on the ghetto thugs to get their act together? Why isn't it coming from within their own communities? Natives of the neighborhood need to stand up and show leadership. If people were civil, it wouldn't matter what the color/ethnicity of the residents were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City