Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,614 times

Advertisements

We currently sublet in Forest Hills. We are thinking of owning in the Forest Hills/Rego Park/Kew Gardens area. We are looking for a 2 bedroom, 1 bath.

My question is that we are not sure what they cost to buy into. We are looking at around 150k to 210k max. Prefer 180k. We don't care about doormen or fitness areas. Just a nice two bedroom, near a subway or at least close to a bus that goes to a train. Has to be fairly close to the Grand Central.

Let's say we put down 20k on a 180k 2 bedroom in Forest Hills. Do we have to pay property taxes? Home insurance? School taxes? I know there is maintence fees but how are they calculated and what do they include?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
The taxes are inclusive in the maintaince fees. YOU NEED APARTMENT INSURANCE

Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
The maintenance fee on a co op includes a prorated(by number of shares in the corporation that owns the building) share of real estate(property) taxes,a pro rated share of whatever the building's mortgage payments may be and a prorated share of all the other costs associated with running and maintaining the building including staff salaries,water service,management service,supplies,daily maintenance,etc.The portion that goes to pay the taxes and the interest on the building's mortgage is tax deductible but the portion that goes to pay for the building maintenance is not.

Some co ops include gas and or electric in the monthly maintenance charges but most do not and the inclusion of gas is much more common than the inclusion of electricity.

The total maintenance charges can vary widely from building to building depending on the size of the co op,the number of employees,the size and terms of the underlying mortgage and building amenities like gyms,gardens,etc.Most co ops have at least a live in super,many have a super and a full time handyman and many have a super,handymen,groundskeepers,doormen,etc and some have no paid employees at all and rely on a management company to deal with all building issues.

The "average" maintenance fee in a NYC Co Op is about $1.76 per sq ft/per month so on a 1,000 sq ft apartment that would be around $1,760 per mo but can fluctuate a lot depending on location and all the other factors listed above.
Co-Op Maintenance Fees Rise | The Sargent Report: Tony Sargent

Tax deductibility is generally in the 25% to 50 % range.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Let me add that IF electricity is included (and thus the entire building uses a single meter which is common in older co-ops) consider this a BIG plus because not having to worry about the expense of $.29 per Kwhr electricity every time you hit the air conditioner button is such a nice perk.

And larger buildings can and do negotiate lower bulk rates with Con-Ed.

The largest factors in maintenance costs for co-ops is the size of the staff (doormen, handymen, porters) and the size of the underlying mortgage requiring monthly payments to banks ad infinitum. This mortgage can go from zero to breathtakingly large.

Taxes are included in a co-op maintenance bill and the City is pretty kind to co-ops taxwise.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
I have the STAR tax relief that I get a credit at the end of the year, and therefore I have no maintenance payment due in December, and half a payment in January, and since my Co-Op is all paid off I am a happy camper. yay !!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:24 AM

Tell us about the STAR tax relief program, nightcrawler.

It sounds like something I would hate not to be getting if I am entitled to it.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Tell us about the STAR tax relief program, nightcrawler.

It sounds like something I would hate not to be getting if I am entitled to it.

Go to NYC.GOV
STAR FAQ

It is a tax relief that lowers property taxes. Our Co-Op gets the reduction than issues the owners a letter stating the amount then we just deduct it from our maint payments.

I have had this since I took ownership from my co-op since 1995, so I really don't remember the forms I filled out, and the internet was not really up in the year 1995...

But I am sure you will be able to navigate the site, and I also hope that you are entitled to it as well. It is truly a blessing, love it.

Good luck!!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 AM

Thanks nightcrawler.
I'm going to look into it...God knows I sure qualify under the income restriction on UNDER $500,000.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 AM

Your co-op owners should have told you about this. I was told this right when I took ownership of the apartment.

Please keep me updated. I hope you are eligible for it as well.

You know how great it is to make no payments for a month and a half.. yippie !

Old 05-09-2012, 09:57 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Your co-op owners should have told you about this. I was told this right when I took ownership of the apartment.
Yes,me too.Our management company sends out notices and practically beats people over the head to get them to fill out the paperwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City