Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,105 times

Advertisements

My question is, if you have signed a lease, under what conditions can you break it. And if you end a lease prematurely, (so, two weeks now?) then is there any way to get your Broker's Fee back?

I'm moving to the city after graduating from college on the west coast. And I certainly wasn't prepared for the business of Broker's in NYC. First, the apartment isn't what I thought it would be once 'maintenance' was finished. They did paint the place and fix a damaged ceiling, but I thought the place would be clean when I moved in--it took 4 hours of lysol and scrubbing just to see the counters again. And they left paint on the windows and it's just a pain.

The second issue I haven't gotten over is that the broker told us one "total fee" which was 40% less than what we were actually charged.

I understand these aren't big issues, but I hated that there was so much pressure to sign for the place, and now I want to just pick up and sign a lease for the other apartment we were approved for. It has only been five days since we signed, we haven't moved anything in, and we also haven't received the signed lease back yet.

Suggestions for a girl who wants to get out fast??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 04:29 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Sorry that you started off with such a bad experience. If you're just out of college, I was going to say that I'm surprised you didn't begin with a roommate, which would have been helpful, and maybe prevented your falling into a bad situation. But then at one point you suddenly say "we."

I'm guessing that once you signed, you were committed. And you probably signed something that specified the fee, no matter what the broker said. Maybe you didn't read the contract? I think you might be stuck - and I notice that no one else posted a response. However, that wouldn't stop you from writing a dignified angry letter to the head of the agency, telling him that the broker grossly misrepresented the fees - and you can send a copy to whatever the regulatory/oversight government office there might be, maybe Consumer Affairs. That might intimidate them into giving you a partial refund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City