Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:34 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,794,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
If you have ever walked down Fordham Rd...everyone and their mother is talking on the phone and flashing an Ipod, gaudy jewelry, $200 sneakers, and the latest Sean John jeans.....so Hustla...I think he'll be alright on or off Fordham.

I prefer not shopping at Fordham, not because of the threat of crime (which there is no threat), or due to bums (they are everywhere, not just Fordham), but because of the sheer congestion of cars and people, as well as the lack of retail that I usually patronize. However, it is perfectly safe to walk and shop on Fordham, if you can deal with the crowds that is!
Your right people are talking on the phone, listening to iPods all the time on retail strips.

And you know what happends? We have a footchases through the crowds over snatches every single day, multiple times a day. Then there the times we have to send a bus becuase some stupid girl was chatting on the phone and got wacked by a cab.

There are robberies. Stickups are quick jumpings/robberies on the strip in front of everyone. Be it inside a store, or on the street broad day. It's more common on the side streets though and at night. However people get robbed on the strip broad day all the time.

There is also the chance for good old assualts. Word to the wise on Fordham Road, watch what you wear. Bandanas are a no-no. Beads too. You are setting yourself up to be assualted even in broad day in front of everyone.

Then there are bums, that can get pushy and sometimes violent.

You also do not want to get loud with someone unless you are going to do something. Bump a shoulder for example and you will get ****ed up if you answer the wrong way.

Then of course more random crimes. Smash and grabs, when they flood a store and loot everything, might knock you down on the way out. Hold ups which are common inside stores in Fordham Road belive it or not. Other people having a dispute and you getting injured by mistake. Be it a shooting or a baseball bat wacking you by accident.

So yes, there is a risk of crime even on Fordham Road. It's much more common then you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 09:41 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,996,838 times
Hustla if one were to believe your overhyped crime stats, you would think everyone is being jacked on Fordham..and if you shopped there you have a 1 in 2 chance of being stabbed, robbed, or hit by a cab! Let's be reasonable and serious, the crime in the Bronx does not support such a claim, and even if crimes were underreported, which I agree they are, if we added a certain amount, Fordham will still be a safe place to shop, as is the Bronx overall.

It is fair to say that, by far, THAT VAST MAJORITY of people who shop on Fordham have never been robbed, stabbed, shot, or hit by a cab, while shopping. I think that is a fair statement.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Hustla if one were to believe your overhyped crime stats, you would think everyone is being jacked on Fordham..and if you shopped there you have a 1 in 2 chance of being stabbed, robbed, or hit by a cab! Let's be reasonable and serious, the crime in the Bronx does not support such a claim, and even if crimes were underreported, which I agree they are, if we added a certain amount, Fordham will still be a safe place to shop, as is the Bronx overall.

It is fair to say that, by far, THAT VAST MAJORITY of people who shop on Fordham have never been robbed, stabbed, shot, or hit by a cab, while shopping. I think that is a fair statement.
Hey, no one said everyone gets jacked.

However there is a significant chance someone will jack you for a phone (especially Sidekicks and Nextel) or iPod on Fordham Road if you flash it. This is why it is such a big problem. So many people are in la la land about it, they are easy targets because they think it can't happen to them. There are gangs of youth walking up and down retail strips across the low income areas of the city robbing any iPods/Nextels they can. It's epidemic now. We can't even downgrade the robberies fast enough (In fact they are automatically classified grand larceny or ****canned). Females are the most likely victims though as they flash thse items more then men. Most reports for this I have taken were females in their teens and 20's.

It is a real concern. Not something that has a slim chace of occuring.

As for assualts. A lot of people I know have had argurements on retail strips. Not to long ago someone pulled a gun on me on a retail strip in the Bronx over a bumped shoulder (Figures it would be the day i'm not carrying).

Last edited by Hustla718; 09-27-2007 at 11:22 AM..

Old 09-27-2007, 10:00 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,221,244 times
The retail strip in Fordham is the ghetto. But there are some nice stores and plenty of people go there without being afraid of a crime being committed to them.

The bums, I politely tell them no and they move on to the next person.

Is it perfectly safe? No. But would I exaggerate and tell people never to shop there. No that's just ridiculous.

The bumping thing does happen. Especially on the weekends, but more often than not it doesn't escalate into anything. I actually generally prefer to get my shopping around Fordham in during the week if I can. It gets way too crowded, especially on Saturday's.

People really should not walk around flashing any kind of high-end electronics in any part of the city. It's just not very smart.

I live around there and frequent the stores all the time. I mostly like the discount shops where you can get a lot of stuff for your crib super cheap. I'm not a big fan of the hip-hop gear stores, or the jewelry stores, so you won't find me in there. It's rather convenient to have a Staples, and a like 20 video game stores right nearby though. There's also a Blockbuster, a Bally's, and a well-stocked Morton Williams in the vicinity, all convenient.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The retail strip in Fordham is the ghetto. But there are some nice stores and plenty of people go there without being afraid of a crime being committed to them.

The bums, I politely tell them no and they move on to the next person.

Is it perfectly safe? No. But would I exaggerate and tell people never to shop there. No that's just ridiculous.

The bumping thing does happen. Especially on the weekends, but more often than not it doesn't escalate into anything. I actually generally prefer to get my shopping around Fordham in during the week if I can.

People really should not walk around flashing any kind of high-end electronics in any part of the city. It's just not very smart.

I live around there and frequent the stores all the time. I mostly like the discount shops where you can get a lot of stuff for your crib super cheap. I'm not a big fan of the hip-hop gear stores, or the jewelry stores, so you won't find me in there. It's rather convenient to have a Staples, and a like 20 video game stores right nearby though. There's also a Blockbuster, a Bally's, and a well-stocked Morton Williams in the vicinity, all convenient.
No one said not to shop there. Forumers are advising the OP to use concern. Like NOT flashing an iPod for example. One forumer decided to say there was no threat of crime and others disagreed.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:12 AM

They need to put a movie theater somewhere nearby though.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:39 AM

Agreed NooYorker....using the same precautions as anywhere else will keep you just as safe in Fordham as well as Park Avenue.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:39 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,624,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
They need to put a movie theater somewhere nearby though.
I think they're planning to put a movie theater in the Kingsbridge Armory when it gets redeveloped. I was just in that area the other week eating at Montazumas (good Mexican food). If you go off onto the sidestreets, some of the buildings are real architectural gems as well.

Regarding Bedford Park, of course I agree with Pete P. as I live there also and enjoy doing so. One of the biggest issues in my mind is developers tearing down the old houses and replacing them with the Fedders crap.

Edit: Oops, I meant to put the last part on another thread (the Grand Concourse one. This really gets confusing sometimes.

Last edited by yodel; 09-27-2007 at 11:05 AM..

Old 09-27-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I think they're planning to put a movie theater in the Kingsbridge Armory when it gets redeveloped. I was just in that area the other week eating at Montazumas (good Mexican food). If you go off onto the sidestreets, some of the buildings are real architectural gems as well.

Regarding Bedford Park, of course I agree with Pete P. as I live there also enjoy doing so. One of the biggest issues in my mind is developers tearing down the old houses and replacing them with the Fedders crap.
I went to Montezuma the other day. Nice place, good food.

The Fedders thing is an ongoing issue unfortunately throughout the city and even into the suburbs in Queens and LI. There have been several threads about that in the forum.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:45 AM

Yes the fedders things suck...but there is an easy solution. Take them out! I believe these are just air conditioning units? Put in central air...and that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City