U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 PM

535 posts, read 1,358,107 times

Advertisements

Hello

I'm a 25-year-old student graduating with a B.A. in Advertising (Account Management) on December from Florida International University (FIU). I've been living in Miami for 12 years and I'm more than ready to move to another state to start my professional career. I've been to NYC several times and I LOVE IT! I care less about the weather, using public transportation or living in a small apartment.

Miami is not my cup of tea and it has never been. I don't like the hot, humid 1 season weather, lack of urban life and culture, rude people, unassimilated hispanics, car centric scene, lack of diversity, no jobs, low salaries that don't commesurate with cost of living and I can go on and on..... NYC seems to offer me the diversity that Miami lacks and the times I've been in the area (including NJ) I feel I'm home. This has never happened in Miami, honestly we don't click together....

I've searched on craiglist for rents and jobs and I've seen many jobs in my field also many internships. Is one job (30k-50k) enough to survive and being able to go out once in a while?

I know for sure the rents in the city are sky rocket ($2,000 for a small studio). I looked at the North Bergen and West New York areas I found studios and 1/1 for $1,000, how are these areas? I've been in these areas, they don't look like Tribeca, but are they safe? What other areas close to the city are safe and more affordable? If I take my car from Miami is it really going to bother at the time to find a parking spot?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 03:07 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,391,936 times
Stay in Florida. You will hate New York within a year.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Stay in Florida. You will hate New York within a year.
Any reasons for hating the city?? I'm used to the traffic, overpopulation and high cost of living.... I just need a change of scene and more diversity...

Old 05-10-2012, 06:20 AM

1,247 posts, read 1,312,130 times
Get work first, then move. If you have to deal with a P.O. Box for awhile, then do that. Maybe they can mail your stuff to your current address.

So there is sheepskins in Advertising, that has to do with business? That is nice to know, in what area, do you specialize in?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
Get work first, then move. If you have to deal with a P.O. Box for awhile, then do that. Maybe they can mail your stuff to your current address.

So there is sheepskins in Advertising, that has to do with business? That is nice to know, in what area, do you specialize in?
What I'm doing specializes with accounts, sales and buying. I would love to specialize in retail and fashion advertising. I've seen a couple job and internships postings on craiglists that fall exactly in this area. Obviously, there are no such jobs in Florida and I want to move also because my boyfriend lives in the area.

My boyfriend lives in Morris County, NJ almost an hour away from the city, but I want to live closer to the jobs. Where should I move? I would love Manhattan, but it's extremely expensive.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:09 PM

14,388 posts, read 13,595,733 times
It's scary to me to have a degree in advertising - so limited. BUt don't you think you're not using much initiative if all you're doing is looking at Craig's List?

Meanwhile, you're young enough so that you should consider starting with a roommate, rather than living alone. That'll cut your initial costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City