Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,582 times

Advertisements

Agreed Elvira....change is inevitable...and the only way to know if the changes are good or bad is to wait and see. However, I am taking action and making changes that are positively affecting my community...so if enough people do that..and they are....the changes that happen will be positive.

The worst thing to do is inaction, and sit and complain about what others may or may not be doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 10:17 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,196 times
And everyone has a right to make their own choices for their own reasons. Don't need the whole world's approval, or anyone's on this board. Those who mindlessly go with the herd mentality usually lose out in the end. But that's their choice and their business too.

As I've said before, I doubt that some who warn of the dangers here are genuinely concerned for the safety of posters like me. They just want to be "right" at all costs. There is no definitive "right" or "wrong." The world, and NYC, are too complex for that.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:18 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,669,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Change will come no matter what anybody says or thinks....More wealthy moving in pushes some middle class or working class out or to other boroughs, or if they choose, to other states. That in turn affects those other states as well. Everything is in constant flux. Nothing stands still--esp in NYC.
1) EVERYONE will be forced to respond to change!
2) I want to see what Eastern Pennsylvania's gonna be like in 15 years! I'm already getting reports from ATL about it's population, housing and infrastructure problems!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:37 AM

I think some of those posters (and we know who they are) that promote the false stereotype of the warzone that is NYC, and the Bronx in particular, are doing so for their own selfish purposes..whether it be to keep areas from improving (aka becoming revitalized or gentrified), maintain rents/cost of living low, or due to an anti-social/dysfunctional view of life, human being, and society (or some combination of that and other reasons).

It is a shame that people work so hard to scare others from entering communities and making things better. I will never understand what good will come from promoting the abandonment/segregation of whole swaths of the city..we already know this doesn't work! Instead, why not encourage people to take a chance, invest in somewhere that is still affordable, and improve yourself and your community for everyone, inlcuding those who are currently residents there. Why is that idea termed by some as foolish, dumb, or just plain wrong?

Going with the herd mentality just means you will get stomped on...I prefer to take the route less traveled, with higher risk, but much higher rewards...and I have done quite well. Is success guaranteed? nope....but it is worth it to me...and many others who are rethinking what it means to live in what some term "the ghetto."

Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 AM

But then of course if you succeed, and prosper, others will then say you were just lucky or had more opportunities than everyone else and how unfair it all is. LOL...

Old 09-25-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Why do you say the cameras are a joke? What do you want them to do, shoot lasers at criminals? They serve their purpose.

If some idiots want to commit a crime in front of cameras that's on them, but its pretty stupid. I find it interesting a cop would see no merit in their use.
You see, this is why I recently brought up the FACT that people can claim to be anything they want to on an internet forum. Although Hustla seems to have a lot of stats etc available, there is no proof he is a cop, just as there is no proof I'm not a three legged martian.

When I pointed this out the other day, a certain charmbubble who frequents this forum accused me of calling Hustla a liar and starting posturing and making veiled threats.

Yes, it does seem beyond odd that Hustla, a cop, would be walking down Fordham with his friend, note a gang thing going down, shrug his shoulders and move on. And strange as well that he would think that NYPD cameras on Fordham will have zero effect.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:22 AM

I agree...he may be involved in law enforcement in some capacity, like a meter maid, or possibly has friends that are in law enforcement, however his behavior and posts have proven suspicious to say the least. He has lost all credibility with me...and his behavior and posts prove that he does not deserve to be taken seriously. Nonetheless, he does make for an interesting forum...if we all agreed...it would be very boring....so he serves his purpose.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:32 AM

Precisely.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:15 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,628,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
People can live in a place like the Bronx and be so used to the negative that they literally never turn a corner to see what is already there.

Yes, I know you'll say the typical resident doesn't care about the Botanical Gardens (like most museums, etc they have a free day) or the Lehman campus. But if you're not even aware of these things, then you can't understand why someone like me might choose to take advantage of what the borough has to offer me. Not necessarily anyone else, but me.
Me too. I love the Botanical Gardens, and that we can walk there rather quickly from our house. I agree as well that many people who live in the area don't take advantage of the things that are practically right outside their door. We gave our former tenants an extra pass to the gardens, but as far as I know they never used it, usually staying inside or playing on the sidewalk in front of the house. I also know that open space is not of the same importance to everyone, but I'm a park-o-phile so to me that kind of thing is really hard to understand.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:17 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,628,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I agree...he may be involved in law enforcement in some capacity, like a meter maid, or possibly has friends that are in law enforcement, however his behavior and posts have proven suspicious to say the least. He has lost all credibility with me...and his behavior and posts prove that he does not deserve to be taken seriously. Nonetheless, he does make for an interesting forum...if we all agreed...it would be very boring....so he serves his purpose.
Yes, he certainly keeps the conversation going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City