Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:06 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times

Advertisements

The areas you mention are getting more expensive since they are in Manhattan. Some people can't even afford these areas.

A lot of residents are getting displaced by white people, and they are genuinely afraid of losing their homes. It happens over and over again in sketchy neighborhoods. Most of Manhattan has gone this route over the last few decades. Landlords start to harass them, threaten them, do no repairs, etc. until they are forced out. If they manage to stay, the prices in the area (stores, etc) go way up. Now THAT'S rough.

This is NYC, no matter what area you live in. It's part of the package. Most people only see it from their own perspective--what's beneficial to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 10:08 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
Well Hustla I am someone that speaks from a lifetime of experience living in Mott Haven, and you dismiss me as easily as you dismiss Elvira or anyone else that does not subscribe to your doom and gloom Bronx reports.

I think we all agree that the quality of life in areas like Mott Haven, Melrose, and Hunts Point is lower than the rest of the city. Furthermore I believe we all agree that crime is higher here, and that the schools are bad. Why can you not agree that the areas are improving though? How can you simply dismiss all of the major improvements in the housing stock, commercial, retail, crime, etc as just insignificant? It's ludicrous and you have lost any credibility in this forum becuase you are giving a very unbalanced perspective.

Nobody claims the Bronx is a paradise, and we are all painfully aware of the problems....I think the whole world is actually....so thanks for repeating the same information every post. You may not want to acknowledge the changes, but they are nonetheless hapening despite the many negative posts and people....the world is changing aroud you but you will always focus on the negative.

The Bronx is improving, from new housing, parks, and people...as a lifelong resident of Mott Haven with a rational, reasonable, and balanced perspective..I recognize the changes and improvements, as well as understand the problems that we still face. We cannot simply backdown and rehash the same story...it only hinders progress and does not serve any purpose...and progress is being made. There are waves of people that are looking past the projects, the "ghetto" culture, and the ignorance, and are creating a better place for everyone to enjoy...my only question is...why you would choose to scare them away? It only hurts the people in your community that you purportedly care about.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:11 PM

As I've said before, my "theory" is that Hustla wants to keep the Bronx segregated because he believes it is better for everyone that way. Plus he probably is wary of whites moving in, and if I were black I probably would be too. Why else encourage newcomers to move to the wealthier white pockets of the Bronx that many can't afford, just as he apparently can't?

Also it is easier to say that it is hopeless and that nothing can be done. Then you don't have to do anything! Again, if Hustla is a cop, he is a hero in this city, but his myopia (which is shared by a lot of people who generalize about the city based on what they have personally experienced past or present and/or believe to be true) makes him pessimistic in the extreme.

Also, I see some sentiments on this board about the poor that disturb me. Mead (I think) posted on another thread about the need to basically flush the poor out and move them all somewhere else. The truth is that most NY'ers are out for themselves in part because it's tough to survive here. Most middle class who feel driven out of the city by high rents don't really give a hoot about the poor who are driven out of their native city as well. My hope is that the Bronx will be a haven to people of all income levels, ethnicities, and backgrounds.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:19 PM

I know many locals that ascribe to Hustla's doom and gloom, precisely because they advocate the same kind of "stay out of my hood" attitude. They have no experience other than the very segregated and poverty stricken projects, so it is easy to just give up on yourself, your neighbors, and community. However, I believe these people need to see mainstream society and norms at some level, new faces, new people, new ideas, in order to see that hey wait a minute, maybe things can get better.

The answer is not to further segregate and abandon, as Hustla would have you believe and history has proven utterly disastrous, especially for this borough, but to bring people back to these communities to invest, interact, and learn from eachother.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:36 PM

Oh dear, so sorry Mead, I think it was actually Moth? but there's so many posters here I get confused.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:14 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I know many locals that ascribe to Hustla's doom and gloom, precisely because they advocate the same kind of "stay out of my hood" attitude. They have no experience other than the very segregated and poverty stricken projects, so it is easy to just give up on yourself, your neighbors, and community. However, I believe these people need to see mainstream society and norms at some level, new faces, new people, new ideas, in order to see that hey wait a minute, maybe things can get better.

The answer is not to further segregate and abandon, as Hustla would have you believe and history has proven utterly disastrous, especially for this borough, but to bring people back to these communities to invest, interact, and learn from eachother.
I'm still waiting for a point by point list from you on what you consider positives and negatives. Also I would like to hear about these overwhelming positive changes you are talking about.

As for affordable areas. SORRY, but there are similar priced areas in NYC outside the ghettos like the South Bronx. In some cases might have to pay a little more but you get what you pay for.

And Elivra Black. My agenda is simple. Recommend decent places to live. Provide caution when it comes to borderline areas. Search for the best bang for the buck. I live where I live due to personal reasons (Strings attached). Although I am relocating soon. I don't care about segregation. I don't care about the White people who are still running from this city BTW (sorry but I don't think the Whites are going to suddenly invade the Bronx). I'm not going to recommend a ****hole.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:22 PM

If you haven't searched for a "better" place lately, you might be surprised at how tough it really is.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:39 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Yeah I was going to say, I really don't remember saying that. I mean I'm certain its possible since sometimes I post stuff on here after coming home from the bar, but I really don't remember that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Oh dear, so sorry Mead, I think it was actually Moth? but there's so many posters here I get confused.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:41 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Dear God you can repeat that again. Pretty tight rental market in the Northwest Bronx, its a huge pain finding a decent apartment around here. It doesn't help that a lot of landlords leave their apartments in slum like conditions (old appliances, the building hasn't been painted in 10 years, exterior hasn't been updated since the 40's, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
If you haven't searched for a "better" place lately, you might be surprised at how tough it really is.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:59 AM

Hustla there is no need to give a point by point on the negatives...you have them down pretty well I would say. I am giving a different perspective, the glass is always half full to you, whereas to me it is half full..and filling. 2 different perspectives, but neither is wrong. I have already spent enough time listing/writing/repeating/informing/educating the positives over the past 20 years to you, I will only repeat them to others who inquire. Look back on my prior posts for more info.

And I agree that there are still places within the city that are better and subsequently more expensive, however many people cannot afford to pay a penny more...period. In addition, people would prefer to be close to the city, as that is more important to them than living all the way out in places like Throggs Neck (which is poorly served by public transport) and completely suburban...not city-like.

Mead I agree. The rental market out there....and to use Hustla's words: "it is a total rip off." Competition is stiff, especially in the so called affordable areas of Bushwick, Mott Haven/Melrose/Hunts Point, Bed-Stuy, etc...as immigrants, transplants from other parts of the city, subsidized-voucher tenants, and those outside of the city are all chasing the few "affordable" apts. It is not easy..especially if you are in close proximity to the city...and it is only getting worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City