Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 12:11 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times

Advertisements

Yup...it is just human nature Elvira.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 12:32 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
On the other hand, Briarwood, if memory serves, I thought your attitude was that you'd have to be insane to move to some of these areas if you're white. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

It's not that the Bronx is hell on earth, but that I think you (Along with several other posters) seem to have this mentality that crime and negitive social pathologies don't exist in NYC. Yes, compared to any other city, NY's problems are insignificant, but they are very real. We as a city and a communtiy would do well to address them. I feel that people have this attitude that "500 murders is low enough". Bull****. 500 murders is still a disgrace. I want a city where every neighborhood, regardless of color or class is a safe place to be. If that makes me a dreamer, then so be it.

Quote:
As I've said before, newcomers to any area no matter what their race would do well to respect the neighborhood and its current residents, whether that be a white girl moving to the "ghetto" or a new immigrant moving to a more assimilated area.
Agreed.

Quote:
I don't think the poster in question was dissing anyone though, and yes, it sucks. All I was saying is that if you fear that you will eventually get priced out when whites start to move in, you might be apprehensive about it. But that doesn't excuse the harassment. There are plenty of A$%oles of every race, color or creed to go around. It angered me when my b/f got called a white mother&&&er on the street the other day too. As a NY Jewgirl, I know many of my peeps were in this general hood long before other minorities settled here.
Also good points. But I'm addressing the double standard. People lambast the Italian family who moves when a Jamaican comes on the block, but stay silent to the Black youth who gets pissy with his new White yuppy neighbor.

Quote:
But look at the "ethnic cleansing" in places like Bosnia. White against white. It seems to be hard wired into our species to distrust anyone who is different--even if it's just the different colors that gang members wear to provoke each other to violence.
Sadly, that is something that goes far beyond the realm of City-Data into something deeper. PM to discuss

Old 09-22-2007, 12:37 PM

I agree with your statements Briarwood.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:28 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Ironically many of these people are now the supers of apartment buildings in the Bronx. Strange world in which we live in.

That stuff has been going on for centuries though, since the Ottomans started invading the Byzantine Empire 1000 years ago:
YouTube - Pocetak bitke Boj Na Kosovu Battle of Kosovo 1389 DOWNLOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
But look at the "ethnic cleansing" in places like Bosnia. White against white. It seems to be hard wired into our species to distrust anyone who is different--even if it's just the different colors that gang members wear to provoke each other to violence.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:17 PM

242 posts, read 926,996 times
Fordham road is the most ghetto shopping in strip in america. Ladies whats up with the muffin tops? When you look in the mirror do you miss that layer of blubber dripping down over the top of your too tigh jeans?

The bronx ain't going anywhere. The east bronx (formerly italian) and riverdale will stay nice. The rest..........****ty urban planning, lousy public transportation, terrrible pollution and horrible schools pretty much seal the deal.

And whoever said that you'd have to be be crazy to be white and live some areas of the bronx, I agree with you 100%. Its not racism, its self preservation.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:11 AM

You must not have traveled outside of NYC, because Fordham Road is most definitely not the most ghetto shopping strip in America. I recommend going out and seeing other cities and what they are offering. The Ladies with the extra layer of blubber? You are kidding right? You wanna see more rolls than a bakery.....try going down to Mississippi, Louisiana, etc....at least we have Winter to force people to cover up for 1/2 the year.

I agree that the Bronx is an uphill battle, it has been one disaster after another, most being good intentions. However, the Bronx certianly does not have lousy transportation...that is blatantly false, especially for those closer to the city. If you live out in Throggs Neck or Soundview, it is much more challenging though.

Furthermore, the terrrible pollution is certianly not unique to the Bronx. If you live in this city, you pretty much accept wherever you live is pollutted....let's be serious. The horrible schools are all over this city...so that is inevitable whereever you are as well. The Bronx is revitalizing, however if you equate the Bronx being over run by hippies and stock brokers as "a success" and "a good neighborhood" then yes, then most parts of the Bronx will not be great to you. However, those groups have never historically been attracted to the Bronx, nor is the Bronx trying to serve that market...there are plenty of other places for them. The Bronx has always been a source of affordable housing for middle/working class families...and that is the future that the city is trying to focus on for the Bronx.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:27 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
Not all posters provide info on where they are from, and so if someone pronounces a neighborhood uninhabitable I would personally love to know how familiar they are with actually living there.

But the last two posts did crack me up..more rolls than a bakery..lol. Yes, I've noticed that style--letting it all hang out. Chubby guys can get away with it a bit better because they tend to dress more baggy anyway.

And yep, NYC is far from the "fattest" city in the country. The deep south is especially cursed with excessive pulchritude. Everyone drives (what choice is there?) and that down home deep-fried cuisine is a heart attack waiting to happen.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:29 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock247 View Post
Fordham road is the most ghetto shopping in strip in america. Ladies whats up with the muffin tops? When you look in the mirror do you miss that layer of blubber dripping down over the top of your too tigh jeans?

The bronx ain't going anywhere. The east bronx (formerly italian) and riverdale will stay nice. The rest..........****ty urban planning, lousy public transportation, terrrible pollution and horrible schools pretty much seal the deal.

And whoever said that you'd have to be be crazy to be white and live some areas of the bronx, I agree with you 100%. Its not racism, its self preservation.
I dunno if it's racism, but you particularly specify that you'd be crazy to be white and live there, so what else could you mean? Not all white people are rich, after all.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock247 View Post

I find the shopping strip on Jamaica in Queens to be more ghetto. I wouldn't know which is the most ghetto in America.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:50 AM

It's easy to proclaim "you have to be crazy to be white and live there" whe you have your parents supporting you/backing you, you have resources available to you that many don't (inheritance, connected family/friends), etc. Those that don't, of any race, who choose to live in this city from other places, or have always been here and are of medost means, must consider the neighborhoods you and Hustla term as "****hole."

Instead of ridiculing and criticizing them and these communities from your wobbly perch, maybe you can acknowledge that they are viable options for those on a very limited budget who want to try their hand at NYC. That is not to say these neighborhoods are perfect, crime free, or paradisees....they do not exist..especially in this city. However these communities serve a variety of roles, especially for recent immigrants, transplants from outside the Metro-area, and for those looking to make money in "up and coming" neighborhoods. Remember, it is not a lifetime committment, but oftentimes a stepping stone to assist people to save money, experience the city on a budget, or whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City