Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:24 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,827,738 times

Advertisements

After the last couple weekends running into street fair after street fair trying to get around by bus and that Obama campaigning in New York at rush hour closing off midtown I am even less fond of these street fairs anymore. I missed two shows I had tickets for because of traffic paralysis.
Last Sunday It took me 1.5 hours to get from East 93rd to 72nd and Broadway where I gave up all hope of getting to West 46th and took a subway back North and cross town to home.

Whole mess was 3 hours and I never got to the theater.

If they are going to have street fairs, put them on a side street, and not running up and down Amsterdam or Columbus for 1/2 mile. Sunday before last there were TWO on Columbus and one on Central Park West. How many pairs of sunglasses does the average new Yorker need...and have you ever seen anyone actually EATING one of those sausage sandwiches?

For now, on weekends, if we cannot get somewhere by subway we will stay home.

And I DO hope Obama doesn't bother with another visit until he is tossed from office in 2017. Who needs him babbling platitudes at a big bridge, aka campaigning, then motoring back to the Waldorf...with 20,000 cops on overtime closing down half the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 08:32 AM

So THIS Saturday (5/31) will be the 2nd Avenue Street Fair...but it will be on Third Avenue (only in New York.) It will run from 66th to 86th (exactly one mile) from Noon to 5 PM.

I may do this one and make it the ONLY one for the Spring/Summer.

See you there, Bugsy.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:20 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,896,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So THIS Saturday (5/31) will be the 2nd Avenue Street Fair...but it will be on Third Avenue (only in New York.) It will run from 66th to 86th (exactly one mile) from Noon to 5 PM.

I may do this one and make it the ONLY one for the Spring/Summer.

See you there, Bugsy.
Good to know! I'll have to check it out, I'm right at the top end of it.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,553,318 times
Default Come back and tell how was it

Hey, for the people that went to the street fair(s) this weekend, how was it? Was it like all the other fairs where the vendors that sell the same thing at every street fair or was this one different?

Old 06-01-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Hey, for the people that went to the street fair(s) this weekend, how was it? Was it like all the other fairs where the vendors that sell the same thing at every street fair or was this one different?

Dull as drying paint. It was longer than usual so they duplicated the identical run of stands every couple blocks: same lemonade franchise, same sausage sandwich franchise, same belt franchise, etc.
About 6 of each, one identical to the next. The sausage stands even had the calamari and French fries in exactly the same position on the left.

I bought a nice toenail clipper ($50 and a chicken satay ($1.)
But it was a nice 1 mile walk in pleasant weather and there was a lot of eye candy to indulge the retinas.

But that's it for 20014.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,553,318 times
Thanks for the trip report.
Lol, same old same old, huh. A toenail clipper for fifty dollars? Was that a typo?
You forgot to mention the customary funnel-cake stand? They seem to usually be stationed at a booth near the Italian sausage vendors, the cheap earrings vendor (although I love it and buy something every time), wrist-watches for $10, and $5 or $10 cashmere shawls or scarves vendors.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Lol, same old same old, huh. A toenail clipper for fifty dollars? Was that
a typo?
Yeah, and I thought I had corrected it?? Guess not.

The toenail clipper was $5. (I like that particular guy, a Russian with a couple kids, and last time I saw him I bought a dental mirror and a couple surgical dental hooks.)

I was going to buy a couple zeppolis but the single stand went up to 7 for $4. Outrageous, runaway inflation, so I walked on and bought the $1 satay...good.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:29 PM

I went and agree with KK. Same ole same ole. I spent $27...got new shades for $10, 2 bags of popcorn for $6 (NYC Kettle Corn is pretty great), an assorted other snack.s The funnel cake stand (I actually only saw one) had a crazy long line, so I skipped that. Finally tried a Mozzarepa....unimpressed. Not bad, just not exciting enough to ever try again. Other than, was a nice walk. I went towards the end so it was probably less crowded, and I missed the rain.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:

2 bags of popcorn for $6 (NYC Kettle Corn is pretty great),
The free samples ALMOST lured me in. That is tasty stuff...I wish I knew how to make it.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The free samples ALMOST lured me in. That is tasty stuff...I wish I knew how to make it.
It's really easy, just a delicate process! All you need is a stove, a heavy bottomed large pot with lid, some popcorn kernels, oil, salt and sugar!

Here's a link with an easy recipe...
How To Make Kettle Corn at Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City