Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 10:49 AM

841 posts, read 2,475,625 times

Advertisements

I will try to make this long story as short as possible. My mother-in-law, who lives in the Bronx has about 2 days left before the marshalls come and lock her and her grown 28 year old son out of their apartment. They are trying to find a place to go to - together (she babies him). But from what I understand, since he's a grown man, he has to go to a men shelter and she would have to go to a women's shelter. She also says that welfare keeps turning her away and not helping her and she does not know where to go or what to do!

Just wondering if someone can give me suggestions. She will be 62 years old in 2 weeks and she says that she should be getting social security or retirement money. Are there any programs that help senior citizens with free housing and not have to go to a shelter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:06 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
I gotta ask: Why is she and her 28 year old son being evicted from their apt?

And depending on the answer to that question, there may be some options available to her. If she is broke/no credit, she should go to a shelter and they will provide her temporary housing and find her permanent housing which is affordable to her (she will be put on some sort of program). The son, however, will have a more challenging time in the shelter and finding permanent housing through the city.

As for retirement money, I don't know what that means. But at 62 I believe she will be eligible for social security so that will likely be the income used to determine how much she can afford to pay, with the city picking up the difference.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:22 PM

841 posts, read 2,475,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I gotta ask: Why is she and her 28 year old son being evicted from their apt?

And depending on the answer to that question, there may be some options available to her. If she is broke/no credit, she should go to a shelter and they will provide her temporary housing and find her permanent housing which is affordable to her (she will be put on some sort of program). The son, however, will have a more challenging time in the shelter and finding permanent housing through the city.

As for retirement money, I don't know what that means. But at 62 I believe she will be eligible for social security so that will likely be the income used to determine how much she can afford to pay, with the city picking up the difference.
The apartment is originally under her ex-husbands name (her 28 y/o sons' dad). He acquired that apartment after being in a shelter for some time and eventually got that apartment through some kind of government program...not sure if it was section 8 or what. Even though they're not 'together' anymore, she was staying there because she had nowhere else to go. Eventually, the dad got arrested around October, 2010 and since the apartment was some kind of federal program and since my mother in law and brother in law are NOT on the lease and the dad is in jail, they have to leave the apartment.

Even if the landlord allows them to stay, neither of them work so they can't afford it anyway. She is very broke, no work and has horrible credit. Her only choice is to go to a shelter...but I am trying to look into other options for her..which is why I am thinking that maybe she can get some kind of elderly housing program. The son..well...he's a grown man...I would LOVE for him to leave the nest and figure out a way to live his life w/out his mommy.

I am not sure what kind of 'retirement' money she's getting starting in May, but I do know that it's going to be a total of around $800 a month, which we all know is nothing in NYC.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,401 times
I am retired and 91 years old and at present live alone in my 3 b/r ranch in New Jersey and I would offer her son a room to stay temporarily provided he attends to some of my household chores, keeping my house clean, working outside cutting the grass and minor chores, laundry.
He can contact me via email: frankcampy820@aol.com

Old 06-09-2014, 01:14 PM

335 posts, read 503,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank campanella View Post
I am retired and 91 years old and at present live alone in my 3 b/r ranch in New Jersey and I would offer her son a room to stay temporarily provided he attends to some of my household chores, keeping my house clean, working outside cutting the grass and minor chores, laundry.
He can contact me via email: frankcampy820@aol.com
Campy - don't you want to check him out first? You can't just allow a total stranger to move into your home. You could also look for a student from the local college.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:24 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,311 times
So basically the ( rental control ) kicked in. I know what you mean, exactly. The problem is that the father broke a rule, and they are confused in how the whole thing works. They have to go through a long process to get evicted, like an hearing, and things like that. What the son can do, is claim he does not live in the residence any longer, by writing a letter. The next thing that could occur if she moves to a smaller apartment, in the same residence.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:

The next thing that could occur if she moves to a smaller apartment, in the
same residence.
Not likely with an $800 income unless it is subsidized for low income.
She should immediately go to every social agency she can find for emergency help in finding a SENIOR apartment (for some she might need to be 65) where the rent will be capped to 30% of her income. Social workers often know some tricks to get someone needy in.

Mr. Campbell, What a generous offer...but be careful you check the guy out thoroughly. You don't want to be living with an antisocial psychopath.

Last edited by Kefir King; 06-10-2014 at 05:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City