U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,633 times

Advertisements

The UES's best annual street fair is on! Between 2nd and 3rd Ave this Saturday bring the whole family for BBQ, live music, an art show, a bake sale and tag sale and games.

Goes from 10am to 4pm this Saturday May 12. Pass the word on. Free admission. Might want to arrive early with cash, the best items in the bake sale usually go quickly.

Let me know if you have questions.

All proceeds go to the NY NY Stake Youth Camping programs.
Sponsored by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 10:31 PM

4,941 posts, read 10,367,163 times
So......
Your advertising a traffic jam huh?
That's just great.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 PM

518 posts, read 1,519,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
So......
Your advertising a traffic jam huh?
That's just great.

i lol'd

Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 AM

24,592 posts, read 34,463,773 times
I look forward to it.

I don't normally like the sameness of these fairs with the SAME sausage and pepper sandwiches, the SAME belts, sunglasses, belts, CD's, and T-shirts all from the same vendors who spend all year going from street to street.
But I'll do this one because it's smack dab in my neighborhood.

But the bake sale is definitely out becasue I began a serious diet May 1.

Quote:
Sponsored by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
I hope there won't be too much of THAT nonsense in evidence.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:55 PM

It wasn't much and it was VERY Mormon...all those glowingly pure faces (some on 20 year old "elders") and matching glowingly white shirts that must be laundered HOURLY seemed so out of place in Manhattan.

Too much niceness can be repellant after a while. I took a snoopy tour of the LDS temple...never knew it was there. It's functional, little more.

But the weather cooperated gorgeously and the turnout ws good, given it was only a half block.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:26 PM

26,220 posts, read 27,365,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Too much niceness can be repellant after a while.
Good grief. You can't win.

Quote:
I took a snoopy tour of the LDS temple...never knew it was there. It's functional, little more.
No, you didn't take a tour of an LDS temple; you took a tour of an LDS chapel; and yes, they are functional, little more.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 AM

Right, Chapel...
I get Mormom terminology mixed up.

Since I didn't see the choir I knew it wasn't the TABERNACLE.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,180 times
Wondering if anyone else got food poisoning from food at this fair. My son went with 2 friends. 2 of the boys ate food cooked on the same grill. They both got sick. The other boy did not eat and he did not get sick.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,278,318 times
Quote:
Too much niceness can be repellant after a while.

Sad but true. My husband and I went to a restaurant recently where the waiter was so nice and concerned about whether we enjoyed our meal. It actually made us uncomfortable!

Old 05-19-2014, 03:20 PM

2,433 posts, read 5,887,052 times
Quote:
I look forward to it.

I don't normally like the sameness of these fairs with the SAME sausage and pepper sandwiches, the SAME belts, sunglasses, belts, CD's, and T-shirts all from the same vendors who spend all year going from street to street.
But I'll do this one because it's smack dab in my neighborhood.

But the bake sale is definitely out becasue I began a serious diet May 1.

I hope there won't be too much of THAT nonsense in evidence.
I believe the first NYC street festival (other than the Feast of San Gianaro on Mulberry Street) was the 9th Avenue food festival in the 1970's. It was in the 30's and the 40's, at a time when Hell's Kitchen really was Hell's Kitchen. The festival was mostly about the food merchants on 9th Avenue (like Manginaro's) cooking their food in front of their stores. There was lots of unique stuff. I remember the New York Times featuring it in the front page of the Weekend section.

Kefir, you are absolutely right about most of today's food festivals, but you forgot to mention the zeppoli guys. It's all a bunch of junk, whether it's food or belts. I'm not even sure why the city allows them. Maybe they make money on the permit, I don't know. I would never go out of my way to attend one.

Hopefully, this one is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City