Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:30 PM

38 posts, read 62,191 times

Advertisements

The neighborhood of Harlem is bigger than the city of Hoboken and the town of Weehawken. Combined.

When will people stop talking about Harlem as if everything about it is completely the same throughout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 11:42 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Of course there are good places to live in Harlem if you have kids -- Convent Ave historic area, Riverton, Lenox Terrace, Riverbend, new developments around 8 th ave, and many nice brownstone blocks.

The problem is that there is rarely anyplace decent to send them to school. OP doesn't have school age kids yet, but that's a big reason families and Harlem don't mix. It's why my family left. We couldn't see sending the kids to any of e nearby public schools, which were awful.
Unless you have $$$$, Manhattan in general is not as kid friendly as sections of the other boros. You will have to place your children in schools outside of Harlem. 3K will get you something very in nice in other sections of the city with a lot more to offer the children. You can still get to work in Manhattan in less than an hour.

Harlem is better for people without children, some people have to make do and raise their children there, or they have enough money to place the children in schools outside of the neighborhood and pay for many extra curricular activities.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:00 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrev05 View Post
The neighborhood of Harlem is bigger than the city of Hoboken and the town of Weehawken. Combined.

When will people stop talking about Harlem as if everything about it is completely the same throughout?
Yeah exactly. Its really a general area with about 5 or 6 sub neighborhoods.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:22 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Harlem has alot of famlies, IF Harlem didnt have any famlies then no one wont live in Harlem, it would be empty, but yes most famlies in Harlem is headed by a single mother and not sure if you Tranplants consider a single mother a family. Because of highrate of disfunctional famlies in Harlem its far far from the perfect famlies Like the Jones of Suburbia or the Rubenstiens of the UWS. To the OP you can move to Harlem, I already see white kids of Transplant parents playing in playgrounds of Harlem with other less fortunante kids of the area. In Harlem majority of the famlies cant afford activities for their kids and much activities in the area is either provided from non profit organizations or provided by tax payers dollars. With After School programs being cut many Harlem youths will be out on the street wandering around, commiting acts of violence or getting pregnant early. To the op you guys should move to Harlem but be ready to cough up money for school and activities for your kids to shelter your kids from real generational New York City youth life. I can atest that Harlem is best suited for young single Transplants of all races and Creeds but I have seen famlies move there.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrev05 View Post

LOL,that's nothing,The Bronx is as big as Philadelphia and they do the same thing with The Bronx.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:59 AM

5 posts, read 10,292 times
I'm a single suburban-raised young white woman, and I lived by Edgecombe and 145th for a year. I ended up moving because gentrification drove prices up too high for me. I loved the neighborhood, especially closer to 145th. The park is a nice place to chill out in the summer, and there's a farmer's market there every Tuesday and Saturday. Sure, if you're out late at night and being stupid, then you might end up in trouble, but even as someone who ended up coming home drunk at 3, I never felt uncomfortable. The neighborhood basically shuts down after sunset anyway, so there's no need to be out late unless you're coming home.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:22 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times
It sucks having to watch your back or look over your shoulder but, I would maintain that even NYC's crummier neighborhoods are still better than every other city by virtue of their proximity to all the fun and culturally / intellectually enriching experiences NYC has to offer. Hard part is you do have to pay them beaucoup $$$$ to live here, even in the hood. So, Yes, Harlem is ok to raise kids (just have to avoid certain corners and times).

However, most of what passes for cities in this country have nothing going for them even if you live in their best, nicest, cleanest areas (incidentally still cheaper than a Bronx 1 bedroom). But really, as a parent, if you play a lot with your kids, they'll sort of forgive most things.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,529 times
I am a African American middle age female that is use to the fine way of living. I have teenage children in the home,self employed insurance broker for over 20 years. I am currently living in North Carolina and dead stiff daily. I left Brooklyn,NY right after HS and said I would never return to that poverty stricken place never in my life. When I came home to visit my mom,the cab drivers actually said,I look as if I should be going to Manhatthan instead of Brooklyn as well as people looking at me in the area as if I was an alien! Now,after 18 years in the mid-west and 15 in North Carolina I am close to the feeling of death and feel the must need to relocate to the upper scale area of Harlem. I need help so badly to direct me on where is the upscale areas of Harlem. Yes,I am looking for a major RUSH to regain a challenge in my life once again.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,529 times
I feel you girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I must leave NC before I die hard stiff and some of your mom reasons are the same as mine. But,on the other hand,I am single,raising my lousy sister's 3 teenage children for the last 9 years and MUST leave NC to get that recharge I think is in Harlem for us. Good luck in your search and make sure your leave a tip 4 me too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City