Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2020, 10:33 AM

13 posts, read 14,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison_ View Post
Same here.

I don't know how DOE hiring would work if we were investigated under NYPD but I read this before so it sounds like maybe they can get another class through before the actual transfer

https://nypost.com/2020/07/02/nyc-sc...ain-with-nypd/
Maybe you’re right they may be able to get another class in time. I heard doe just hires people no background checks or anything. I’m just worried they will throw out our applications and make us start all over again since doe is taking over. It would make sense for nypd to just hand over all the potential hires to the doe and let them hire us from that pool of candidates. Since we’ve already been verified!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 03:43 PM

65 posts, read 51,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjd131 View Post
Maybe you’re right they may be able to get another class in time. I heard doe just hires people no background checks or anything. I’m just worried they will throw out our applications and make us start all over again since doe is taking over. It would make sense for nypd to just hand over all the potential hires to the doe and let them hire us from that pool of candidates. Since we’ve already been verified!
Agreed. And yeah I know numerous people hired within the DOE as teachers and they basically hire you as long as you have the required degree/student teaching experience.

Which is ludicrous considering SSA spend less time with the kids but we are so thoroughly vetted. That's my hope, NYPD would be like this pool of applicants are good to go. But I think the issue is also that they want no safety officers in the schools so who knows.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:51 AM

13 posts, read 14,945 times
I’m going to start following this thread.
I’ll do everything I can too promote this opportunity! For us!

I’m from exam 8335 I completed everything except oral and physical test, investigator interview.

I’m just learning they went over to department of education this is devastating!

I’ve been having such a difficult time accomplishing my goal of working with the nypd.

I started my process back in 2014 as a security officer.

I completed a college associate program through south Bronx Job Corp which was extremely hard with John Jay college for homeland security so I could build my skills in continue my career to becoming an officer but I took my test last summer and passed with an 85.

Law enforcement is my life my passion in even with no support from relatives that completely removed me from the family circle because of my career choices in lack of children.

I have to constantly work as a certified nursing assistant who were sick with covid19 just to make ends meet.

This **** is definitely tough in most of the people I’ve worked with can’t walk a mile in our shoes.

So I respect the people who want to be successful even if we have no support but each other...

Old 07-05-2020, 01:30 PM

184 posts, read 298,964 times
What is the current starting pay for the job? What is the top pay and how long does it take for someone to reach top pay?

Thank you in advance.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:39 PM

Starting pay is 34k top pay is 50k not including overtime. It takes 7 years to reach top pay but that will probably all change when doe takes over.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Starting pay is 34k top pay is 50k not including overtime. It takes 7 years to reach top pay but that will probably all change when doe takes over.
Do you think it will change for better or for worse? Quicker transition to top pay?

Old 07-06-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuptS View Post
Do you think it will change for better or for worse? Quicker transition to top pay?
I think it will change for the worse. It will probably no longer be a civil service job and I can’t see the doe paying that salary. Overtime will get hit hard bc nypd gives a lot of ot and doe probably won’t give much. Officers may lose arrest power and authority to give summonses. The whole approach to school safety is gonna change. The job is probably worthless once the transition takes place. My feeling is a lot of officers currently on the job will retire if they have time or quit for better jobs.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I think it will change for the worse. It will probably no longer be a civil service job and I can’t see the doe paying that salary. Overtime will get hit hard bc nypd gives a lot of ot and doe probably won’t give much. Officers may lose arrest power and authority to give summonses. The whole approach to school safety is gonna change. The job is probably worthless once the transition takes place. My feeling is a lot of officers currently on the job will retire if they have time or quit for better jobs.
Very insightful. Dept of Education will have to honor the current salary from the current contract with Local 237 won’t it? As for the transition, will School Safety Agents move over to the teacher’s union or stay in the same union? I’m skeptical about School Safety Agents losing Civil Service status, they gained that in 2006 didn’t they? How can Custodians be Civil Servants and work for Dept of Education and School Safety Agents not be?

One thing I agree with you 100% is School Safety Agents will loose a huge authority in handling trouble makers at schools.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:22 PM

13 posts, read 14,945 times
According to candidates relations, the department of education will be taking over our application process for all school safety agents but they stated it will take about a year for this to happen.

I just want to work the career I chosen since job corp days.

We will not only be professionals but we are well respected from all different backgrounds.

I can’t wait to say I’m a school safety agent it’s a very respectable secured position.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 6,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedhousingasap View Post
According to candidates relations, the department of education will be taking over our application process for all school safety agents but they stated it will take about a year for this to happen.

I just want to work the career I chosen since job corp days.

We will not only be professionals but we are well respected from all different backgrounds.

I can’t wait to say I’m a school safety agent it’s a very respectable secured position.

Where did you hear this? Did you speak with candidate relations personally? I already completed the whole process and was supposed to make the next academy class before the pandemic started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City