Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Breakdown of the family(and discipline) and the Jews are no longer running the school system.Those are the 2 biggest problems.
Jews??? I can name a bunch of high performance ghetto schools without Jews running them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 06:49 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Well those are 2 SYMPTOMS of the problem. The breakdown of the family is a problem with society and our system...same applies to the school system...it is a symptom of the underlying problem.

It's like blaming a black man for "not having a job", and that's why he and his family are poor, and his kids are selling drugs, and the schools in his community are all bad because they are filled with these same people. These are all SYMPTOMS. The actual PROBLEM would be that nobody will hire the black man because he is black = no job, no income, destruction of the family, kids suffer, schools deteriorate, and on and on.

One is the actual problem, the rest are symptoms/results of that underlying problem. Until we achieve actual equality and provide real opportunity to everyone, these symptoms will remain forever. Get it?

Old 05-16-2012, 07:36 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times
Media and DoE love to play the race card. When talking about race, more often than not, they bundle Black and Hispanic together. For public elementry schools, the more B or H, the higher disadvantage index. The more White and Asian, the less help they need. DoE's progress report gave higher mark to disadvantage schools. What a bunch of BS?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:20 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I went to a high quality high school in the Caribbean. Many of the grads are doing quite well in the USA. More than a few excelling at schools like Princeton and MIT.

Most of the kids focused on sciences and maths. 40% were black, 50% Caribbean Indians (who do almost as badly as do other minorities in NYC....look at teh schools in Riochmond Hill and So Ozone). The few whites (including North Am whites) who were there we demolished academically. It certainly never dawned on us that being bkack meant we were dumb.

Somethings happens in the USA to people of color and its about time people be honest about it. Its to do with people internalizing external stereotypes and letting this lower their expectations of life.
Yes you make an excellent point here. It is something that frankly is not discussed enough. Black and Latino nyc communities in particular need to take a harder look at themselves and come to the table with honest assesments and solutions. Things are not getting better, they are getting worse. It's a complicated issue with many ugly heads that need to be attacked. I agree with some of the things Bloomy admin has done like breaking up failing schools for instance. I also like that they are trying to find someway to evaluate teachers. These are good things but a lot of teaching to a test is going on. Also a big problem I see is there is no accountability with these kids. They know summer school is likely easier so to them school is one big joke.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was very surprised about the overall demographics of the students throughout the whole school system, and that whites only make up 15% of the whole system, and Asians even less.

From the article: While the city’s public-school population looks diverse — 40.3 percent Hispanic, 32 percent black, 14.9 percent white and 13.7 percent Asian — many of its schools are nothing of the sort.
The asian figure seems much lower than it should be...looking back at my high school experience there was some tension between the mostly Black students and the Hispanic students who were less but still made up a big chunk of the school. I went to A. Philip Randolph HS in the 90's. I remember especially senior year there was some pretty thick tension because many of the Hispanic students felt they weren't being given an equal input in Senior activities. I was mature for my age so race wasn't a big thing for me. In fact if anything at the time, a lot of my friends were Black. I was kinda post-racial before it was cool, lol.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 05-16-2012 at 08:30 AM..

Old 05-17-2012, 12:14 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Also the Indo Guyanese stick with themselves too. The only way for races and ethnic groups to get along with others is through sportsman ship.
I notice pretty much all of the Indo Guyanese live in Queens and the Afro-Guyanese live in Brooklyn.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:25 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I went to a high quality high school in the Caribbean. Many of the grads are doing quite well in the USA. More than a few excelling at schools like Princeton and MIT.

Most of the kids focused on sciences and maths. 40% were black, 50% Caribbean Indians (who do almost as badly as do other minorities in NYC....look at teh schools in Riochmond Hill and So Ozone). The few whites (including North Am whites) who were there we demolished academically. It certainly never dawned on us that being bkack meant we were dumb.

Somethings happens in the USA to people of color and its about time people be honest about it. Its to do with people internalizing external stereotypes and letting this lower their expectations of life.
People of color, particularly blacks, are told subliminally that we are inferior. This happens in the media, and even the school system as well. Sadly many blacks have bought into the foolishness as well and actually believe what they are told. Many of the brightest minds of black America do not receive the proper media attention to expand the minds of young blacks kids to see things through a full spectrum.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:43 AM

Well no..they are not told subliminally...they are pretty direct about it and have been for...umm..I dunno...500 years or so. After the first few hundred years, I guess you do start to believe it. The fact that blacks are doing as well as they are considering they didn't really get "equality" in any real sense of the word until the 70s (remember, it was a felony to marry interacially until the 70s, Parkchester had a very open and blatant policy of "NO BLACKS" until 1979, for example) is actually very impressive.

Does anyone think you can turn anything around with half-a$$ed equality over the course of 30 years or so? Of course not...

Old 05-17-2012, 07:26 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well no..they are not told subliminally...they are pretty direct about it and have been for...umm..I dunno...500 years or so. After the first few hundred years, I guess you do start to believe it. The fact that blacks are doing as well as they are considering they didn't really get "equality" in any real sense of the word until the 70s (remember, it was a felony to marry interacially until the 70s, Parkchester had a very open and blatant policy of "NO BLACKS" until 1979, for example) is actually very impressive.

Does anyone think you can turn anything around with half-a$$ed equality over the course of 30 years or so? Of course not...

Putting aside the much older and more complicated black and white divide for a second, whats your theory as to why hispanics and asians do so differently as populations?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 AM

There are no doubt cultural issues are at play, and asians were not ghettofied the way browns and blacks were. That isn't to say asians were not getting the short end of the stick also, but I think there was more urgency/societal benefit (for whites that is) to exploit and subjugate blacks and hispanics because of their sheer numbers, and Hispanics in particular because of their proximity to the US, rather than with Asians. The same way Arabs are not really subjugated here the way they are in Europe...it's about proximity and numbers....culture is a factor as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City