Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 03:34 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times

Advertisements

I am glad that you are able to so clearly see the future. I can't imagine why you haven't used your all seeing clairvoyance to play the lotto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am glad that you are able to so clearly see the future. I can't imagine why you haven't used your all seeing clairvoyance to play the lotto.
I rather invest my money than spend it on lottery tickets unlike most idiots in the working class community. I didn't see the future its just and indication or prediction of things to come and what to expect. Hipsters wont be around forever and counter subcultures change throughout different generations. The next generation after the hipsterish gent y I wonder what subculture they will create and embrace.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Thing is that hipsters will slowly kill themselves off with their evergrowing lust for drugs. Right now they are just innocent weekend recreational happy pill consumers. But it's just a matter of time when they discover Heroin (they already inhabit blocks with easy access to that stuff) and that may very well vipe out the whole hipster movement. It happened to the Hippie movement in the early 70's.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:26 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
I grew up in the hippie era (far out, man). So when it comes to controlled substances you could say I've been around the block. But three drugs my circle of friends and I avoided were heroin, meth, and PCP. Then cocaine came to town...

Old 07-17-2012, 12:45 AM

14 posts, read 43,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The hipster counter subculture will probably die out or loose popularity like other subcultures of previous generations like Hippe and Punk Goth. This generation is a Hipster generation and the the coming years hipsters will begin to dwindle and with it comes the end of hipster nabes. Also by the end of this generation will also mark the begining of the end of gentrification due to the fact the Millennial generation prefer Urbanism vs Suburbanism, the next generation after Gen Y or Millennial is Generation Z which might prefer Suburban lifestyles over Gen Y unique Urbanism. Hippes are still around, Goth Punks are still around but Hipsters to will still be around but again not in huge numbers because people will eventually reject the counter subculture.
This is an interesting thought - the macro-trends of gentrification are being pushed by a specific generational proclivity for urban living. Still, is Park Slope that young? The median age is 34. I think greater forces than the millennial generation's cultural eccentricity are at work in driving the "renewal" of the inner city.

If we think about it, the standard has been that the rich concentrate in the city centre, the professional class near them, and the poor are dispersed in the countryside or in slums away from the city centre. Much of the world outside the West fits this pattern. Americans and, to a lesser extent, Europeans reversed this pattern because of a complicated stew of trends that include the rise of the automobile and the end of the industrial economy.

Yet now we see a push against suburbia and against the car culture. Yes, the younger generations are especially enthusiastic about this push. But we also have the rising cost of gas. Is a car-dependent culture as feasible in the future? As for suburbia itself, we've seen the housing crisis and we hear talks about a restructuring of the American economy. Is the housing market ready for an upsurge in middle-class suburbanization like before? (Rather, is the middle-class ready?)

Instead, we're witnessing the Suburbanization of Poverty. We see it even in New York with the decline of Newburgh and other areas outside of the city. I don't think these developments are as easily reversible by culture anymore, and Generation Z can't and won't just decide to go back into the suburbs. By the time that the generations following Generation Y come into their own, centrifugal cultural and economic forces will put them into the city and not the suburbs. Not that affluent suburbs and poor inner-city neighborhoods won't exist, they surely will, but the metropolitan paradigm might resemble the historic and modern non-Western one more.

Of course, this doesn't do anything to alleviate rising levels of poverty, it just reshuffles the poor away from the centre of the city to the outskirts. Business as usual.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:18 AM

31 posts, read 89,731 times
I agree with everything SKR14 says, and just want to add: if things do go that way, property values and rents in urban cores, particularly NYC, are going to continue to go up.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
I think the trends are pretty clear, poverty is being outsourced to suburban areas, and even in the bronx which has the poorest congressional district in the country, poverty declined from 39% to 35% (approx), so the trends are clear. Rents continue to climb in NYC, despite the unemployment and generally mediocre economy, so when the economy does get going I can't imagine the push that will occur in NYC.

The tenants I get, and the interest I received for my recently available apts, have all indicated rents are insane now in NYC.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKR14 View Post
This is an interesting thought - the macro-trends of gentrification are being pushed by a specific generational proclivity for urban living. Still, is Park Slope that young? The median age is 34. I think greater forces than the millennial generation's cultural eccentricity are at work in driving the "renewal" of the inner city.

If we think about it, the standard has been that the rich concentrate in the city centre, the professional class near them, and the poor are dispersed in the countryside or in slums away from the city centre. Much of the world outside the West fits this pattern. Americans and, to a lesser extent, Europeans reversed this pattern because of a complicated stew of trends that include the rise of the automobile and the end of the industrial economy.

Yet now we see a push against suburbia and against the car culture. Yes, the younger generations are especially enthusiastic about this push. But we also have the rising cost of gas. Is a car-dependent culture as feasible in the future? As for suburbia itself, we've seen the housing crisis and we hear talks about a restructuring of the American economy. Is the housing market ready for an upsurge in middle-class suburbanization like before? (Rather, is the middle-class ready?)

Instead, we're witnessing the Suburbanization of Poverty. We see it even in New York with the decline of Newburgh and other areas outside of the city. I don't think these developments are as easily reversible by culture anymore, and Generation Z can't and won't just decide to go back into the suburbs. By the time that the generations following Generation Y come into their own, centrifugal cultural and economic forces will put them into the city and not the suburbs. Not that affluent suburbs and poor inner-city neighborhoods won't exist, they surely will, but the metropolitan paradigm might resemble the historic and modern non-Western one more.

Of course, this doesn't do anything to alleviate rising levels of poverty, it just reshuffles the poor away from the centre of the city to the outskirts. Business as usual.
You know whats funny, Gen Yers saw their parents go into debt with their homes during the housing bubble forcing many to reject suburban lifestyle over city which when you add it up it almost cost the same especially in NYC. Not only that people of my generation are all slaves to banks due to 50k plus tuition these guys have to pay off. The following generation will observe the mistaked off previous generations and reject their ideas or ideals. My great question is for folks of my gen is when they settle down and have kids, will they move back to suburbia to raise a family or will they send their kids to a poor performing school in Harlem or Bed stuy or in Mott Haven or in Bushwick or in LES. I dont see public education in NYC improving anytime soon even if Transplants become PTA members and introduce suburban sensabilities. As for the Hipster push, like every other counter sub cultuore push it will die out. Do you guys remember when the EaSt Village had a huge Punk Goth Scene a decade ago? I sure do. Counter Cultures dont last forever and will die out in due time until some other idiotic subculture will replace it and people will complain about it.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
most people in the poor neighborhoods have
been looking for a good job and a nice place
to live forever, but they will never get it,
because the gentrifier will, because they will
pay more of their salary for it. i see everyone
getting screwed by the man, as usual. it's just
that people are so naive, they want to be the
next generation of slaves.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
most people in the poor neighborhoods have
been looking for a good job and a nice place
to live forever, but they will never get it,
because the gentrifier will, because they will
pay more of their salary for it. i see everyone
getting screwed by the man, as usual. it's just
that people are so naive, they want to be the
next generation of slaves.
So true. You dont know how many times I have gotten beat to the punch by Transplants for employment. I was told by some that I too should become a Transplant and move some where else. If New Yorkers are getting jobs in other states, why not join them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City