Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,484,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I see plenty of baby carriages in neighborhoods like Chelsea, Williamsburg, etc and plenty of new day care centers. So the answer is yes.
What when these babies start going to school. In Manhattan and brownstone Brooklyn there is a critical mass of savvy and aggressive parents who know how to lobby to get decent schools.

In the outer boroughs this is less likely. I will be quite interested to find out what happens when the baby carriages become backpacks. Will their parents risk sending their kids to schools with demoralized teachers and large % of kids with problem,s who prevent the others from learning? And parents who either dont care or who work long hours and cant get time off to meet their kids' teachers.

The thing is upper middle class black parents tend to avoid many of these areas as they have a history about what they were like before gentrification, many trying hard to escape. So there are few of those around to help, as most still flee to the suburbs. or use Catholic schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There's another way to look at it. Now, hipsters/
Hipsters do not necessarily have the ability to pay off their loans, pay your high rents, and send their kids to high priced private schools. NYC is asking for trouble as it prices itself out of reach of the middle class, while still offering low public quality education.

One thing being a kid bunking up with friends, when dad helps pay the rent. Quite another when they marry and have to think about what their school age kids are going to do. AS NYC has fewer high priced bankers and lawyers, and more ordinary techies and other "creatives" we will see a huge difference.

You may not know this but males who are enmeshed in criminal enterprises make way more money than many of their non criminal peers who end up in low paid jobs, compliments of NYs "finest" schools. They arent going to find a job in the official economy, because they can do better elsewhere.

I am also not sure how many live off the govt as it is very hard for a single male to qualify for most of these welfare programs. Indeed I am not even sure how many still live off welfare, as others might have 30 years ago. Let a single male try to get food stamps and he will soon find he is in trouble about all thsoe child support payments that he didnt pay.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I tell The other day I was at Mytle avenue in Fort Green, I was happy to see a beardo walk out of a Jamaican restaurant with a beef pattie and coco bread in his hand. Any way I'm out, gotta catch the Knick game at MSG!

Sure sign of financial stress. Cheap food, but those patties add on the cholesterol after a while.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I do hope the financial sector jobs improve in NYC, but those that be want NYC to diversify its job market. Why do you think their is a strong push to make tech centers in NYC to compete against Silicon valley which is backed by Facebook, EBay, Google, Apple, Yahoo Oracle, Java, Seattle Backed by Microsoft, Nintendo, Amazon and Boston with biotech. NYC has been doing good with mobile web app creation but mobile app creators can never be as large as Microsoft or google and will eventually be absorbed by a bigger entity like iOS photo sharing application called Instagram which was acquired by Facebook for a billon dollars is a perfect example.

These new techies will never earn what the hedge fund guys did. NYC will be in big trouble when it finds gthis out.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Yes balance is good. And like you said, the "hood" doesn't have any balance of people. Hence why I support gentrification the hipster/yuppie movement when they move to the "hood" because they bring a good kind of change and balance to the community despite what some haters on this board say. Hipster/yuppies represent CHANGE and are the catalyst of GENTRIFICATION and urban improvement. They are the pioneers.

Let's be real, the "hood" element in a nutshell is pretty much what drags down this city more than anything else. .
Still on the rampage.

Listen the thugs arent going any where as it is easier to get govt support than any where else, and also easier to make a decent living in the under ground economy.

What you will lose will be the hard working honest folks who any society needs. I mean who is going to work in the restaurants, hospitals, hotels, etc if they cant afford the rent without living two to a bed? These folks are too busy working long hours to pay your rent, and send their kids to Catholic school. Why dont YOU organize to rid the area of thugs?

Indeed the hipsters are also being forced out. Why do you think they are forced into dicey neighborhoods. increasing far from Manhattan?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:41 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,959,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
These new techies will never earn what the hedge fund guys did. NYC will be in big trouble when it finds gthis out.
I agree with you.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,959,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I said I like balance in a neighbourhood, but yuppies and gentrification usually do not = balance. And while I don't think violence and street crime are good things in a neighbourhood a lot of the things you mentioned as being "the Achilles Heel" of New York are definitely not, are often important and necessary parts of living in New York for some people, and sometimes things that give some neighbourhoods flavour and are hardly bad at all. Not only is there nothing wrong with low-income neighbourhoods with lots of Section 8 and welfare recipients, but low-income neighbourhoods are a necessary part of any city, to maintain balance. No one except the rich want to live in a city where poor people aren't welcome.

My original point was that hipsters and their ilk bring much-needed diversity to neighbourhoods that don't have enough of it. But I don't want to see yuppies streaming into the South Bronx or Bed Stuy or Bushwick. Some neighbourhoods need to remain friendly to lower-income residents, because most of the city is far-from-friendly to low-income residents. That doesn't mean violent crime and other serious quality of life issues should be ignored, but a little bit of loud music, people hanging out on a stoop or playing dice on a corner (hanging out ain't a crime and there's nothing wrong with it), even people drinking a beer or smokin a blunt in the street don't bother me or most other people as long as they don't bother me or other people by harassing me or starting **** or whatever. Otherwise, these activities have their place in urban neighbourhoods and go practically unnoticed unless you choose to pay attention to them. But you could also pay attention to the roar of traffic, the honking of cars, the packed subways at rush hour, the snobby waiters in nice restaurants, the crazy housing costs and on and on - but you deal with this stuff because it's part of living in New York. So are a lot of other things that you find offensive but many people live with and don't even notice, or just ignore.
A well balanced neighborhood might be Riverdale section of the Bronx and Astoria in Queens.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,337,967 times
They are at Fulton & Nostrand catching the A train. That's Central Bed-Stuy. They're also along the G train line at stops that you'd never see a white person, including Bedford-Nostrand, Myrtle-Willoughby, Flushing Avenue.

There are some quiet, nice brownstone blocks around the area, and that's where they're living. I don't know what will happen to them if they marry, stay in the area and have children.

But, the same could be said about Park Slope. People came and took it over completely, it changed, and people stayed.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,841,951 times
Quote:
A well balanced neighborhood might be Riverdale section of the Bronx and Astoria in Queens.

Astoria I agree with. Riverdale is pretty high-income and elitist - when I passed through on my way to Yonkers, it didn't seemt to have anything to do with the Bronx I was familiar with, and as other posters have mentioned, people who live there often don't tell people they live in the Bronx - they say they live in Riverdale.

IMO, Sunset Park, Flatbush, Green Point, Fort Green, Prospect Heights, even parts of Bushwick, parts of the Bronx (like Castle Hill, for example, Parkchester, Bronxville, Morris Park) offer a good mix of diversity with fairly low crime rates, low and middle-income individuals and families, multiple ethnic groups and not too much gentrification (yet), though some of the Brooklyn nabes I mentioned are getting there.

Parts of Manhattan also have great diversity, but would be totally lacking in income diversity if it weren't for all the housing projects in the area. These neighbourhoods include the LES, the East Village, and Alphabet City. Northern Manhattan is getting more diverse, but not because of hipsters moving in. But really, areas like Harlem and Washington Heights remain too racially homogenous to make my list, even if they do offer a good mix of incomes. Maybe Inwood?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:38 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,316,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
They are at Fulton & Nostrand catching the A train. That's Central Bed-Stuy. They're also along the G train line at stops that you'd never see a white person, including Bedford-Nostrand, Myrtle-Willoughby, Flushing Avenue.

There are some quiet, nice brownstone blocks around the area, and that's where they're living. I don't know what will happen to them if they marry, stay in the area and have children.

But, the same could be said about Park Slope. People came and took it over completely, it changed, and people stayed.

I'd consider Nostrand to be more Western Bed Stuy (like the eastern boundry of western Bed Stuy if that makes sense). Nostrand is only three avenues into a neighborhood that's nearly 20 avenues wide. Bedford-Nostrand on the G is heavily "hipster". I'd say 60-70% of the people that I see getting on and off of that train stop fit the look of a "hipster". Closer to Fulton tends to lean more towards having more "original residents".

A lot of the "hipsters" that you see are not just renting in these areas, they are BUYING and having children. Back when I moved into my building in late 2011, there were no babies around. A little over a year later, I see strollers being wheeled inside. These people bought the larger apartments with the intention of raising a family and they will be here long enough to send their kids, at the very least, to elementary school. In fact, there are so many families popping up that a boutique children's toy and clothing store has opened up on Bedford Ave. It has high reviews on Yelp and even offers prenatal yoga! http://www.yelp.com/biz/pipsqueak-ch...hoppe-new-york
It's one thing when "hipsters" move in but it's another when "hipster" families do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City