Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times

Advertisements

^ hmmm, so that's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
The GI Bill required single-family homes, which coincided with the first highway building and cheap tract housing. In hindsight we can say it wasn't exactly the smartest thing, but back then people thought that it was future.
yeah...why would people want to live in a single family house with a nice lawn and decent, law abiding neighbors. Something must have been wrong with those people.

Nothing like Housing Authority living...that's the place to be...good government housing, done just right.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:35 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
yea East NY is so much worse now than when it was dropping 120 bodies a year... And Mill Basin and Bergen Park are beautiful areas, the only things that have changed are the demographics... Same goes for Laurelton and Canarcie aside from the area near Brownsville... Springfield Gardens was much worse back then than it was now...

ENY dropped 120 bodies a year? It's still horrible.
East New Yorks crime has been either rising or not declining as fast as other areas in New York. It's still one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

Crime in Canarsie is also heading upwards in parts that use to be safe.

Don't try to play the "it use to be worse line". A bad neighborhood is still a bad neighborhood.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
ENY dropped 120 bodies a year? It's still horrible.
East New Yorks crime has been either rising or not declining as fast as other areas in New York. It's still one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

Crime in Canarsie is also heading upwards in parts that use to be safe.

Don't try to play the "it use to be worse line". A bad neighborhood is still a bad neighborhood.
I'm not denying ENY is still a bad neighborhood... believe me i still got fam there, i know... But to say that it's worse now than back then is laughable... East NY one year dropped close to 130 bodies... That precinct along with Washington Heights in the early 90s and I believe one precinct in the Bronx can't remember if its the 52nd or 48th or another one saw some of the highest murders totals of any precinct ever in the city... It's why we moved in 95' out of there to Ridgewood

Old 05-19-2012, 09:30 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Because I've been seeing them a few stops past Kosciuszko. Early day, late nights, and everyday. There are 'sprinkles' of them at Chauncy now along the J/Z train line, that's 1 stop away from the Junction.
They will push wherever is cheap and relatively close to Manhattan. The hipsters will not live anywhere beyond a 30 minute train ride to Manhattan. This is truth. Mark my words - 100 years from now when we're all dead. East New York will be what Greenpoint is now.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-19-2012, 09:50 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
They will push wherever is cheap and relatively close to Manhattan. The hipsters will not live anywhere beyond a 30 minute train ride to Manhattan. This is truth. Mark my words - 100 years from now when we're all dead. East New York will be what Greenpoint is now.
East New York just seems too far. The only thing it's got going for it is that Broadway Junction has great subway service, but even then I'd say Utica, Myrtle-Wyckoff, and Chauncey are as far as most gentrifiers who deal with Manhattan on a regular basis would be willing to travel. Then again Broadway Junction is only one stop further. I think Prospect Lefferts Gardens has far more of a shot at a massive upswing.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:49 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm not too sure if that's completely the case. Out here in Bay Ridge we've been seeing a very noticeable number of them in just the last year or so. Before that, a hipster sighting was just an occasion, at least down here in Southern Bay Ridge.

I'm not saying that Bay Ridge will become a mini version of Williamsburg because I do agree that the thirty minutes to the action theory may be very accurate for most of them. Also, Bay Ridge is probably way too residential and is already pretty cool in a non pretentious way.

I do believe that Sunset Part in not out of their reach though, at least as far as transportation is concerned. Beyond that I just don't really know.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:18 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Sunset has the N which is a quick shot into the city. There's plenty of hipsters there; have been for awhile. But it's totally residential for them, they don't hang out there. Their bars and stores start around 20th street and go north.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
theres always been one or two in ENY by cypress hills even when I lived over there years ago... The difference is now you're seeing them more because they're not terrified to step outside anymore... In terms of significant presence I don't think it'll ever reach the junction...
You have to consider that Broadway Junction has great subway service. I mean, you have the (L) to get to the East Village area, and the (J)/(Z) to go Downtown, as well as the (A)/(C).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Every single neighborhood in New York City has changed over time. Did you know that the black community of Harlem moved uptown from the West Village over the course of the 19th century? Bushwick was originally Dutch, then German, then Italian. It wasn't a black/Hispanic area until the 1970s.
Actually, I remember a YouTube video posted a few days ago (it was posted a while ago as well, but I remember it being posted again recently) and it showed a gang called something like "The Devil's Minions" or something like that, and it actually had a lot of White people in the gang. (And one of the gang members interviewed was White)

Quote:
yea East NY is so much worse now than when it was dropping 120 bodies a year... And Mill Basin and Bergen Park are beautiful areas, the only things that have changed are the demographics... Same goes for Laurelton and Canarcie aside from the area near Brownsville... Springfield Gardens was much worse back then than it was now...
I think you're referring to Bergen Beach.

And in either case, both of those areas are still White neighborhoods by a long shot. They may not be 97% White like they were back in the day, but they're still close to 90% White (I think Bergen Beach is 92% White and Mill Basin is 86% White. I'm too lazy to check)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I'm not too sure if that's completely the case. Out here in Bay Ridge we've been seeing a very noticeable number of them in just the last year or so. Before that, a hipster sighting was just an occasion, at least down here in Southern Bay Ridge.

I do believe that Sunset Part in not out of their reach though, at least as far as transportation is concerned. Beyond that I just don't really know.
I thought Bay Ridge was about a 30 minute ride to Lower Manhattan. I guess they want connections to the Greenwich Village area as well.

And Sunset Park has great subway access. You have the (N) at 59th Street and the (D)/(N) at 36th Street for express service. It's just the part west of 3rd Avenue where transit isn't as good because you have to cross under the BQE.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:24 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
1) You have to consider that Broadway Junction has great subway service. I mean, you have the (L) to get to the East Village area, and the (J)/(Z) to go Downtown, as well as the (A)/(C).

2) Actually, I remember a YouTube video posted a few days ago (it was posted a while ago as well, but I remember it being posted again recently) and it showed a gang called something like "The Devil's Minions" or something like that, and it actually had a lot of White people in the gang. (And one of the gang members interviewed was White)

3) I think you're referring to Bergen Beach.

And in either case, both of those areas are still White neighborhoods by a long shot. They may not be 97% White like they were back in the day, but they're still close to 90% White (I think Bergen Beach is 92% White and Mill Basin is 86% White. I'm too lazy to check)

4) I thought Bay Ridge was about a 30 minute ride to Lower Manhattan. I guess they want connections to the Greenwich Village area as well.

5) And Sunset Park has great subway access. You have the (N) at 59th Street and the (D)/(N) at 36th Street for express service. It's just the part west of 3rd Avenue where transit isn't as good because you have to cross under the BQE.
1) You have no idea how bad that area is, do you? The hipsters you see moving in today aren't the brave pioneers of the 90s... Granted this isn't ENY 1990 but it isn't ENY 2007 either... It's actually gotten worse in recent years and I don't see any significant presence moving in there anytime soon... People may confuse white with being hipster, but the only white people I've seen in any area of ENY are some ghetto Russian guys that look like mafia... I saw one or two going into the McDonalds on VanSiclen about a month ago and I've heard that the only significant white ethnic presence that's there is the Russian pop. and the white pop. is at its lowest now than ever before... White people aren't moving in, they're leaving...

I doubt hipsters or any self-proclaimed gentrifiers will touch that area for a long time...

2) The group was called the Devil's Rebels and they were mixed with white, black and hispanic... Up until the 70s, Bushwick still had a significant white population, though the area was terrible... It's why all the hard working folk regardless of color left that area... For awhile the majority of people that remained were either the thugs or those who were too broke to leave...

3) Yea sorry about that... What the person was referring to however was the dramatic increase in the black population in these areas... You still have your ignorant folk that will assume black=crime automatically regardless of situation... Here's the article that references the change Black population growing in southern Brooklyn, biggest percentage jump in NYC - New York Daily News

For the record, the neighborhood has never been safer... interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City