Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 11:32 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times

Advertisements

A Bronx politician fights for the Bronx. I foresee that Asians will march up to his office and protest.

How to change it? Do you support quotas for the Bronx?

Bronx Borough President Calls for Changes in Elite High School Admissions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 12:25 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
No, I don't support a quota. Unfortunately the test is the fairest procedure. Yes some kids have an advantage. Obviously the ones who have parents who can afford the tutors for their kids and other test prep are at an advantage. But I can't agree with Ruben Diaz, the woe is me line is played out and is a cop out. The way you level the playing field is by studying and studying some more which is what the Asian parents do with their kids. Most of them are not wealthy. More math less xbox. More reading less lil weezy.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:45 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Test prep financial assistance?

Old 05-16-2012, 12:55 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
This is the leadership (or lackthereof) in the Bronx, and why problems persist in 2012. Instead of HELPING kids with FREE test prep provided by the city so they can EARN their way into the schools, he insists they essentially change their requirements because "these kids are victims of poverty." He is half right...they are victims, but victims of lousy leadership from the Bronx Borough President and his ilk.

Dumbing down the standards is never the answer, assisting those who need help to stretch to achieve the standard is the answer. A real leader would offer free test prep for kids in need, and show that we can earn our way to these schools. A lousy leader who is a poverty pimp will victimize people and make them dependent, ignorant, and disillusioned....which he has done effectively. "You deserve this and that, and since the "evil white man" is out to get you, I am the only one on your side!"

I really despise him. These schools should not and will not change their standards because of a lousy and ignorant politician pandering and desperate to make it seem like he is trying to do something positive for the borough.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:10 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Test prep financial assistance?
Or do it the way HEOP does it in NYState colleges. Take children from "academically and economically disadvantaged backgrounds", admit them, but put them through a Summer Institute program in the specialized high schools.

For example, a person from an "academically and economically disadvantaged background" (without regard to race, creed, color, etc), who is a valedictorian in his/her middle school, has a great resume, but who may have just missed the cutoff score of the exam would be a person who be admitted to the school, but be required to attend the pre-freshman summer program. That's just one example.

Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP):KIAP:NYSED

Old 05-16-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
This is the leadership (or lackthereof) in the Bronx, and why problems persist in 2012. Instead of HELPING kids with FREE test prep provided by the city so they can EARN their way into the schools, he insists they essentially change their requirements because "these kids are victims of poverty." He is half right...they are victims, but victims of lousy leadership from the Bronx Borough President and his ilk.

Dumbing down the standards is never the answer, assisting those who need help to stretch to achieve the standard is the answer. A real leader would offer free test prep for kids in need, and show that we can earn our way to these schools. A lousy leader who is a poverty pimp will victimize people and make them dependent, ignorant, and disillusioned....which he has done effectively. "You deserve this and that, and since the "evil white man" is out to get you, I am the only one on your side!"

I really despise him. These schools should not and will not change their standards because of a lousy and ignorant politician pandering and desperate to make it seem like he is trying to do something positive for the borough.
He just lost your vote. I can't find a single person support his idea yet. I don't think bluedog2 will agree with him.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:36 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Dumbing down the standards is never the answer
See, and they said it would never happen.

One of those instances where I'm in complete agreement with you.

(Here's a fascinating, although admittedly radical solution to the problem: people should not only get up off their duffs and vote on Election Day, but they should also pay close attention to who they're voting for. Who would've imagined? If you put intelligent, dedicated people in office...you could wind up with intelligent, dedicated government! Yeah, I know just out outrageous that sounds. Go figure).

Old 05-16-2012, 03:38 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Instead of tinkering with great schools that already are minority-majority (asian), why not set up a new specialized high school in the Bronx that takes the top 5% of each Bronx HS as Diaz requires.

No doubt it will soon earn the title elite

Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
He just lost your vote. I can't find a single person support his idea yet. I don't think bluedog2 will agree with him.
You are right,I am definitely not in agreement with him.I almost can't believe that in 2012 anyone is pushing quotas as a solution to anything.

I do like scatman's idea of providing test prep course tuition though.Diaz will never propose it because it doesn't give him a big enough soapbox to pander from.

I dream of a day when the Bx will be rid of all the Diazes and all the Riveras and their types,who do nothing really except pander for votes and whatever is required to maintain their corrupt little fiefdoms

Old 05-16-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Instead of tinkering with great schools that already are minority-majority (asian), why not set up a new specialized high school in the Bronx that takes the top 5% of each Bronx HS as Diaz requires.

No doubt it will soon earn the title elite
That is a good idea, "High School for the Bronx Elite".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City