Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:24 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,427 times

Advertisements

Webster Avenue SBS Could Be Best in NYC, With Center-Running Bus Lanes

http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-conten...edianLanes.jpg
Credit: Streetsblog

Quote:
One option being considered for Webster Avenue Select Bus Service would have the buses run in the center of the street, potentially speeding service even more than existing SBS routes
Option 3. Then subway service through the Central-West Bronx one day.

http://www.streetsblog.org/2012/05/1...#disqus_thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 09:54 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Webster Avenue SBS Could Be Best in NYC, With Center-Running Bus Lanes

http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-conten...edianLanes.jpg
Credit: Streetsblog

Option 3. Then subway service through the Central-West Bronx one day.

Webster Avenue SBS Could Be Best in NYC, With Center-Running Bus Lanes | Streetsblog New York City
That's actually not a bad idea. Seems better than the current system. Is this a serious proposal or just a wish list?

Old 05-19-2012, 10:01 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
OK, I will expose the Bronx's dirty little secret......folk who attempt to get on the bus without paying their fare (getting on through the back).

I see that prominently on the Bx36, a regular bus. In addition, when I am on the Bx12 SBS, rarely do I see anyone check tickets. A way to resolve rampid fare evasion would be to have more undercover officers. But from a priority standpoint, NYPD will have their DT's do buy and busts as opposed to riding the bus watching out for fare jumpers! But fare jumping IS a problem that has to be resolved, so that MTA doesn't lose revenue!

Old 05-19-2012, 12:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
That's actually not a bad idea. Seems better than the current system. Is this a serious proposal or just a wish list?

It's a serious proposal. They already implemented it (or some variation thereof) on the Bx12, M15, and M34/M34A (used to be the M16). They're going to put a variation of it on the S79 in September (no POP system), and later on the B44 in Brooklyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
OK, I will expose the Bronx's dirty little secret......folk who attempt to get on the bus without paying their fare (getting on through the back).

I see that prominently on the Bx36, a regular bus. In addition, when I am on the Bx12 SBS, rarely do I see anyone check tickets. A way to resolve rampid fare evasion would be to have more undercover officers. But from a priority standpoint, NYPD will have their DT's do buy and busts as opposed to riding the bus watching out for fare jumpers! But fare jumping

IS a problem that has to be resolved, so that MTA doesn't lose revenue!

Putting +SBS+ on routes tends to increase paying ridership, so even if more people evade the fare, it's balanced out by new paying riders attracted to the system. Aside from that, it speeds up the trip, so the MTA gets more productivity out of the same amount of equipment and labor.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:06 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
I'm all for that! I think it looks awesome!

Old 05-19-2012, 01:12 PM

109 posts, read 205,800 times
In Fordham at night you do see police hop on the SBS 12 and ask people for their Receipt. No ticket? You're getting taken off the bus in handcuffs!

Old 05-19-2012, 01:17 PM

255 posts, read 475,845 times
I can dig that. That would DEFINITELY steer me away from the Bx15/55.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:19 PM

My only beef with option 3 is a lack of physical division between the restricted and public lanes. I know drivers will get ticketed, but even those cheap reflective bollards would help keep them out of the way completely.

My next Bronx SBS recommendation is a Cross-South Bronx Line. Combining BX5+19 route from Washington Heights to Throgs Neck. BX39 bus would be great for centerline Bronx neighborhoods too.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:02 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
My only beef with option 3 is a lack of physical division between the restricted and public lanes. I know drivers will get ticketed, but even those cheap reflective bollards would help keep them out of the way completely.

My next Bronx SBS recommendation is a Cross-South Bronx Line. Combining BX5+19 route from Washington Heights to Throgs Neck. BX39 bus would be great for centerline Bronx neighborhoods too.
The BX39's problem is that it goes underneath the el (the 2, over White Plains Road). To build any bus stop under an el and to restrict the middle road under the el presents a whole host of traffic problems. The regular 39 would have to ride on the side, along with the cars, while the SBS would have sole access to the middle lane. The traffic along the side would be problematic.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The BX39's problem is that it goes underneath the el (the 2, over White Plains Road). To build any bus stop under an el and to restrict the middle road under the el presents a whole host of traffic problems. The regular 39 would have to ride on the side, along with the cars, while the SBS would have sole access to the middle lane. The traffic along the side would be problematic.
I thought about that, but how about at least Bus Only Marked/Camera enforced lanes from the Southern tip of White Plains Road to the start of the El in Van Nest/Pelham area? Terrible traffic especially near Bruckner Expressway with no alt, unlike the neighborhoods under the El.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City