Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 10:57 AM

824 posts, read 2,790,795 times

Advertisements

As rents have gone significantly higher in Williamsburg, some are trying to reproduce a Williamsburg-type neighborhood in parts of Bushwick.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/304179997
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 11:15 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
I'm familiar with Bushwick too. Kind of a tough looking area. But just across the borough line in Queens, the Ridgewood section looks fairly nice. Lots of nice row houses like you see in Brooklyn and a healthy looking commercial strip along Fresh Pond Road.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:19 PM

203 posts, read 386,006 times
I'm a big fan of upper Manhattan. I've lived in Washington Heights for over two years and really enjoyed it. Inwood is similar to Washington Heights. Also, Inwood has historically had a substantial Irish population. One nice thing about upper Manhattan is fast access to many of the places you want to be. You will probably be closer to the subway than you would be in Brooklyn or Queens. And the A train runs express (except late at night), getting you to midtown and beyond very quickly.

In your case, I don't recommend Williamsburg. The neighborhood does have cutting-edge art and music. The problem is that it's just not very socially accepting. If you don't fit a fairly narrow definition of what it means to be a hipster, people won't give you the time of day. The neighborhood also tends to be mostly people in their 20's. NYC has many fun, interesting neighborhoods where someone in their 60's can be accepted socially, but Williamsburg isn't one of them. I live here currently, but I've given up on using it for anything more than a commuter neighborhood and am looking forward to moving as soon as my lease runs out. Actually, it's not even that convenient for commuting to other areas. It can take me 45 minutes just to get to midtown Manhattan.

Bushwick is indeed rough. It's dangerous enough that I don't recommend it.

Ridgewood is also a nice area. One thing to consider is that you probably don't want to live in the areas within walking distance of the L train because they are somewhat rough. Thus, you're probably looking at relying on the M train. In many cases, you'll then have to transfer to the L train anyway.

I'm less familiar with the other Brooklyn neighborhoods you mention. It's important to understand that Brooklyn has a fundamentally different culture than Manhattan. Manhattan is much more individualistic. Venues and social groups tend to welcome a much wider range of people. Brooklyn is much more close-knit and insular. People keep to social groups which mostly include other people quite similar to themselves.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:17 PM

23 posts, read 48,733 times
Quote:
NYC has many fun, interesting neighborhoods where someone in their 60's can be accepted socially
Name some!

Old 05-20-2012, 05:01 PM

203 posts, read 386,006 times
I've seen quite a few middle-aged people while out and about in the Village. And I've even seen them intermingling with a younger crowd to an extent.

That's the nice thing about the Village and the surrounding areas: Everyone just mixes. It's not like Brooklyn where each subculture has its own area.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:25 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Windsor Terrace is very working class and probably slower than you are looking for. Its very quiet all day and night. You've be better off moving closer to the busier avenues. Park Slope will have more of the types of bars you are looking for along 5-6-7 Avenues.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:23 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Yes I get the impression that Windsor Terrace is working class and pretty quiet. That's part of the appeal for me. Plus it's adjacent to Park Slope so it should have some good places within walking distance. Should be a little less expensive than PS also.

Last edited by r small; 05-20-2012 at 07:37 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 07:43 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I'm familiar with Bushwick too. Kind of a tough looking area. But just across the borough line in Queens, the Ridgewood section looks fairly nice. Lots of nice row houses like you see in Brooklyn and a healthy looking commercial strip along Fresh Pond Road.
Ridgewood > Bushwick.

By a long shot.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
What about Brownstone Brooklyn in and around Downtown Brooklyn? I've read that area has a high population of artists.

Williamsburg has some 30 somethings in the "scene" but definitely not 60 somethings.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:12 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
I don't understand why people are so bent on continuing to sell him on hipster areas that have absolutely nothing of what he's looking for... Look up the original hipster definition of the 50s and 60s... Pay attention to what he writes and you'll realize areas like Park Slope, Astoria, and Williamsburg are not what he's looking for... To the OP, it seems like you have a pretty good idea of what you want already... The areas you've mentioned seem to be a good fit for you... I also think nei's suggestion about Downtown brooklyn is a good choice... Decent mixed area that in some parts almost has a late 90s early 2000s Fort Greene type of vibe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City