Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 10:18 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
FINALLY, a REAL hipster. Welcome to the area!
yes the OP sounds like a true hipster with originality, in other words unlike today's unoriginal mishmash of yesteryear styles with an "ironic" spin as we see in today's fauxhemains. therefore, the term 'hipster' as it's thrown around nowadays is actually a misnomer. this cannot be emphasized enough.the correct term for the fun-obsessed 23-yr olds in williamsburg/greenpoint is 'fauxhemian'.

OP: i agree with the recommendations made to you early on on page1. i think if you chose w'burg you'd find yourself somewhat of a target of age discrimination from the fauxhemians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 02:25 AM

222 posts, read 714,757 times
Hi,

Windsor Terrace is a good choice for you. You might like Greenpoint more than Williamsburg. It was a Polish working class area in transition with quite a few bars and restaurants. It is getting a bit expensive these days, because of its proximity to Williamsburg. Another part of Brooklyn that I'd look into is Redhook. Back in the day it was very dangerous -- there's a big project there, but I believe the neighborhood has improved a lot.

There are quite a few hip people in Inwood as you have observed, but visually, the area is not very appealing. If that's not important to you, Inwood could be a good fit.

galee

Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,091,955 times
Anon1 has it right. My attitude and outlook are probably best typified by the hipsters of the '40s and '50s. Especially jazz musicians like Dizzy Gillespie, Dexter Gordon, Paul Desmond, Phil woods, etc. These were serious musicians but also fun loving cats with a good sense of humour. And since I was a teenager during the '60s there's probably some residual hippieness there too (far out, man). I suspect that the current crop of of hipsters would regard me as some kind of curiosity. A museum piece or dinosaur.

Last edited by r small; 05-21-2012 at 08:23 AM..

Old 05-21-2012, 08:42 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,773 times
Why do you call yourself a hispter? By now, I don't even get what the label is meant to describe...

Anyway, if you're looking for a neighborhood with the highest concentration of musicians, and artsy types, then the obvious ones are LES, West village, Williamsburg, Red Hook and Hoboken.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:03 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Why do you call yourself a hispter? By now, I don't even get what the label is meant to describe...

Anyway, if you're looking for a neighborhood with the highest concentration of musicians, and artsy types, then the obvious ones are LES, West village, Williamsburg, Red Hook and Hoboken.
Because he is actually the true definition of a hipster... (Read his previous comment)... He's explained this I think twice before on this thread as have others, but sure why not... Recommend the same neighborhoods he has already said hes not interested in... Listening to others is soo overrated these days...

Old 05-21-2012, 09:08 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,091,955 times
Well, maybe I'm too old to be considered a hipster. At least by its' current meaning whatever it is. But I've been a working musician for forty years playing in bars and nightclubs so I don't quite fit the definition of a middle American. Also, I don't think a neighborhood has to be cutting edge trendy like Williamsburg to have plenty to offer someone like me. Just a few good bars and restaurants. A nice jazz or blues club would be icing on the cake but I'd probably have to live in Manhattan to find that.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Because he is actually the true definition of a hipster... (Read his previous comment)... He's explained this I think twice before on this thread as have others, but sure why not... Recommend the same neighborhoods he has already said hes not interested in... Listening to others is soo overrated these days...
Ok, if you say he's the true definition of Hispter, then it must be so.

If OP is not interested in living where most Musicians and artsy types live/hang out, then I guess any NYC neighborhood would do. no biggie.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 AM

The jazz scene that you are looking for has unfortunately greatly dimished in this city with the influx of new new yorkers from across the country. The scene you want may not actually be best in manhattan but rather in Brooklyn or Queens... These areas still exist but the culture isn't there like it used to be...

Fort Greene/Clinton Hill/Windsor Terrace, Murray Hill... Inwood Manhattan does have that scene as well but not as strong as other areas... And an idea would be to check the nice parts of Southeastern queens... you may actually find what you're looking for in these areas though you may be in the minority in these areas as they are predominantly Black... Good areas nonetheless, Queens Village, Laurelton, Cambria Heights, parts of Rosedale and Jamaica... The city has cleaned up alot in recent years...

Old 05-21-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Ok, if you say he's the true definition of Hispter, then it must be so.

If OP is not interested in living where most Musicians and artsy types live/hang out, then I guess any NYC neighborhood would do. no biggie.
Not my definition... The actual definition. You can look go online and do some research and actually educate yourself before assuming you know things... And there's far more to this city that than indie rock artsy types... The fact that you would say that since hes not interested in these neighborhoods, that any other one would do, shows your limited view of this city... I'm not surprised though...

Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Not my definition... The actual definition. You can look go online and do some research and actually educate yourself before assuming you know things... And there's far more to this city that than indie rock artsy types... The fact that you would say that since hes not interested in these neighborhoods, that any other one would do, shows your limited view of this city... I'm not surprised though...
The definition of "Hispter" is so broad and amorphous, that is funny when somebody self-declares one, and even more funny and ironic is when sombody who despises them, claims to know the true definition.
And of course the wonderful suggestions of musicians-packed neighborhoods like "Queens Village, Laurelton, Cambria Heights, and Rosedale" give your posts a lot of credibility.
So go ahead, mr. know-it-all, carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City