Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,316 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'll be starting my first full-time job in midtown Manhattan in July with a pre-tax salary of $50,000 (I wish it were higher, but so it goes).

I had planned to live with some friends, but, to make a long story short, that fell through. So, I am now considering living by myself.

Given my salary and workplace location, I think Astoria is a good neighborhood choice: the commute will be pretty short and, most importantly for me, the neighborhood is safe.

My questions are:
1) Would I be able to find a studio (or even 1 bedroom) in Astoria for 1000-1200 per month? I feel like spending any more on rent would just be financially irresponsible, and I would like to be as financially healthy as I can given my salary. (As an aside, my company will put $1000 toward a gym membership, and I would love to use that money to join a real boxing gym to learn to box. It would really dishearten me to learn that I can't afford to do it, even with the $1000, because I am spending too much on rent).

2) If my preferred rent range is too low for Astoria, what are other areas in Queens or Brooklyn that I should consider? I am leaning towards Queens because I feel that a lot of the studios/1 bedrooms I could afford in Brooklyn are in closer proximity to housing projects, which I would like to avoid, or are in generally less safe areas (e.g. a lot of studios/1 bedrooms in my price range are in Bed-Stuy according to Craigslist, and I haven't heard good things about that neighborhood). Also, maybe there are places in Manhattan that I could afford? (unlikely, but I figure I should ask) Please be honest and forthcoming with your suggestions!

3) I don't know what the best months are over the summer (i.e. June, July, August) to look for an apartment, but would it be to my advantage to wait to find a place? My family lives in tri-state area, so I can commute into NYC from my parents' home to work until, say, September, or some other month, when it may be easier to find an apartment. Or, does it not matter at all?

I am sure I actually have other questions but I'd like to start with those three for now. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited by laffytaffy9000; 05-22-2012 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Astoria sounds like a good option for you. You could also find a large studio apt. for approx. $1000 in Rego Park which has very convenient transportation into Manhattan as well as many local amenities. There is also a relatively new gym located right next the 67th Avenue Subway stop (which is on the border between Forest Hills and Rego Park) if that is important to you.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,316 times
Thanks for the reply, Chava61.

I think Rego Park is a bit too far for me. According to Google maps my commute would be about 40 minutes; I would like to keep it 30 minutes max. Also, I think Rego Park might have too much of a suburban feel for me, but that is just speculation.

So, would $1000 get me a small studio apartment in Astoria? (I ask since you said approx $1000 would get me a large studio apartment in Rego Park)

Thanks again!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laffytaffy9000 View Post

I think Rego Park is a bit too far for me. According to Google maps my commute would be about 40 minutes; I would like to keep it 30 minutes max. Also, I think Rego Park might have too much of a suburban feel for me, but that is just speculation.

So, would $1000 get me a small studio apartment in Astoria? (I ask since you said approx $1000 would get me a large studio apartment in Rego Park)

Thanks again!
I assume that you would be able to get an apt. in Astoria that is within your budget.
You can also probably get a basement apt. in Jackson Heights that is within your budget. But in Jackson Heights one needs to check which areas are safe.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laffytaffy9000 View Post

Thanks again!
I don't live in the area but I do have a friend who got a small 1br in astoria for $1200, so I think it can be done.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:15 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
I think a a studio for 1k might be a little tough but certainly not impossible. You will need to do a lot of searching, and maybe even go with a broker. Search on Creaigslist, sometimes you can find private house rentals that are usually cheaper than regular buildings.

In my estimation, the market for studios can range from 1 to 1.8k depending on the type of housing, location and ameneties.

1br's from 1.2k to 2k and so on.

Another neighborhood with a good midtown commute, you might wanna take a look is Sunnyside.
The 7 train takes you into midtown in less than 30 mins. And the rents might be slightly cheaper than Astoria.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times
I also have a friend who pays 1200 for a one bedroom right off the N train. So I say doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City