Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:29 PM

20 posts, read 57,203 times

Advertisements

My landlord did not keep copies of the keys to my apartment and has never wanted them. I am moving out on June 30. His sister—who is not a licensed broker or managing agent and does not have any financial interest in the building—is demanding a set of keys so she can show the apartment at will whether or not I am there.

I work at home, and I have a newborn infant. I have told them they can show the apartment a reasonable number of times, while I am present (or if the baby is awake I will step outside), with reasonable notice at reasonable hours. For various reasons, I don’t want it shown when I’m not there. Anyway I’m always there! And for security reasons, I don’t want to just hand my keys over to the landlord’s sister.

The landlord is threatening that if I don’t allow them to have the keys and show the apt. whenever they want, if it’s not rented for July 1 (the day after I move out) he will sue me for financial loss. Realistically, it’s going to be very hard to rent the apt. while still occupied (2 kids + moving = very messy apt.), and my neighborhood sucks, and the rent is too high, so there are a thousand reasons it probably won’t rent by July 1.

If I’m willing to let them in, 7 days a week, 8am-7pm, if they call me at least 24 hours in advance, can they really sue me if they don’t rent the place for July 1?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 02:31 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Firstly, the Landlord is supposed to have a copy of the keys. So give him a set. Secondly, they cannot show the apt at will, but provide you notice in advance (you can determine that amount of time).

It is great that you allow them in, but they are required to have keys.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
The rule is "at a reasonable time" and "with reasonable notice."

There is NO legal requirement that ANYONE must have a copy of your keys unless you wish it.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:17 AM

The Landlord must have access in case of an emergency..so if you don't provide him keys he has to break down the door...and it will come out of your security deposit. You can choose which you prefer.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:21 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,983 times
He sounds like a horribly irrational, and insensitive human being ... Good luck. I'd find out what your legal grounds are, and then fight back and give him a hard time.

I wouldn't let him bully you. On another note, you better hope someone like that returns your security deposit - I could see someone like that keeping it, and turning the tables -

Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
No, the LL is NOT supposed to have a key. He can, but he isn't supposed to.

Sorry, I do not agree with the LL having keys, or anyone for that matter.

Maybe in a "small multiple dwelling", but not a large one. Our LL does not require keys, nor wants them and we live in a 32 family building.

What are the emergency's, fire??? call the fire dept. No one in their right mind would open a door to an apartment that is on fire, other than a trained fire man.So that I don't buy.

Flooding, OK, possibly...but how often does that really happen?.
I would rather the LL break down my door, or break the window at my expense, that I could live with.

There is no law in NY that states a LL must have keys. That would be up to each individual LL to determine.

This topic has been beaten to death, there are some people that are comfortable with giving out their keys, I am not one. It is my home, I pay for it, I live there, and you are NOT getting a key.

It would be like paying the bank mortgage for your home, you really don't own it until it gets paid off, would a homeowner give the bank a key??????

Reasonable, just tell the LL to call you when he wants to show the apartment and make arrangements, it isn't that hard, or you can tell him no, wait until I move...

Our LL waits till the tenants move, he paints and cleans and the apartment is empty. I would think that is better, who wants to view someone elses apartment with their stuff there.

I wouldn't.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:39 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Firstly, the Landlord is supposed to have a copy of the keys. So give him a set. Secondly, they cannot show the apt at will, but provide you notice in advance (you can determine that amount of time).

It is great that you allow them in, but they are required to have keys.

No, they are NOT required to have keys.

That would be determined when the apartment is rented.

When you rent your apartments in your home out, the tenant you are screnning already knows you want the key, (which is fine), you have that right as a LL, but it would be up to them at that time if they want to live in a place that does that.

But NO, they are NOT required to, there is no law that states that.

My company that I work for owns several apartment buildings in Brooklyn, and the Bronx, we do not require the tenants to give us keys, and most of the apartments are RC and RS......a

Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Sounds like a douchy L/L.
I think you're being reasonable, and no they cannot sue you for financial loss, however, he can be a d**k and nickel and dime you for repairs on your security deposit when you leave.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 AM

That is fine...I am happy to breakdown the door in an emergency, whether that be fire, flooding, etc and will deduct from the security deposit. This will also include maintenance work required, and approved by you...if we agree on a time/date and "something comes up" and you cancel, you are either charged for their time or the door is broken down to perform the work, whichever is cheaper (I am considerate that way). If it is an emergency repair the door will automatically be broken down.

I offer tenants the same compromise...so the problem is solved.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:56 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The Landlord must have access in case of an emergency..so if you don't provide him keys he has to break down the door...and it will come out of your security deposit. You can choose which you prefer.
If the tenant didn't change teh locks it's his own responsibility to have a key no one else. If he wants one he can go make one himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City