Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 12:16 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,166,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1986 View Post
how can i find out what the bracket is (family of 3) and is there a maximum the rent can be? if it goes above a certain amount, doesnt seem worth it to me
My understanding is that if you make above the max at application, you will be rejected.

But once your in and let's say you eventually start making more than what you made when you initially qualifed and you are now above the max threshold they start tacking on a surcharge (which will probably still be way below market rates) to your rent. I believe that is how NYCHA works as well. Is that correct Seventh?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:26 PM

43 posts, read 198,889 times
Thanks so much I got it! Too bad it's not for two bedrooms

Old 05-24-2012, 12:35 PM

33,400 posts, read 46,833,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1986 View Post
how can i find out what the bracket is (family of 3) and is there a maximum the rent can be? if it goes above a certain amount, doesnt seem worth it to me
Every complex has different income guidelines. They are usually listed on the application, or you can call the office of your desired complex and ask them, they should be able to tell you that over the phone.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-24-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
If anyone could shed some knowledge on how mitch lama coops work that would be much appreciated...
It works the same way as a regular co-op, only thing that sucks though is you get no equity, so you sell it back to them at what you paid for it...so if you make renovations you lose money on it, but if you're planning to stay there for the rest of your life, that doesn't make a difference.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:44 PM

88 posts, read 262,875 times
this explains the surcharged
http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/download...lama-rules.pdf

and more of it with the family size income here
Save Mitchell-Lama - FAQ

Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,631,377 times
I lived in a Mitchell-Lama development before I left NYC, and I was hit with a 50% surcharge once my income approach $100K. But the rent was still better than most market.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 PM

25,341 posts, read 36,862,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
I lived in a Mitchell-Lama development before I left NYC, and I was hit with a 50% surcharge once my income approach $100K. But the rent was still better than most market.

I think that is the common system, glove.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:58 PM

25,341 posts, read 36,862,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It works the same way as a regular co-op, only thing that sucks though is you get no equity, so you sell it back to them at what you paid for it...so if you make renovations you lose money on it, but if you're planning to stay there for the rest of your life, that doesn't make a difference.

Lately though a LOT of people have gotten a LOT of equity when and if their co-op pays off the underlying mortgage. Then it goes PRIVATE and the co-opers own the apartment outright and can sell it at market. There is a stiff "flip tax" around 40% back to the co-op but still, that $10,000 apartment can immediately turn into $300 G's in Manhattan...much more with a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment.
And then you move to the sticks and buy a CASTLE.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Lately though a LOT of people have gotten a LOT of equity when and if their co-op pays off the underlying mortgage. Then it goes PRIVATE and the co-opers own the apartment outright and can sell it at market. There is a stiff "flip tax" around 40% back to the co-op but still, that $10,000 apartment can immediately turn into $300 G's in Manhattan...much more with a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment.
And then you move to the sticks and buy a CASTLE.
Thats a Manhattan-only situation (exception to those buildings at Cadman Plaza in Brooklyn). The Mitchell-Lama in the outer boroughs won't ever see a flip like that.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:49 PM

88 posts, read 262,875 times
I dont think there are anymore mitchell lama coops anyway. I've been reading up on the subject and there are a lot of ML rentals that have been done away with. Can they kick people out or stop the program? If so, they will have to relocate them right? I know they're doing this with the project people who have moved out of fort greene in brooklyn and one in harlem.
Will the ML laws expire? Is there no funding left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City