Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 09:43 PM

258 posts, read 673,256 times

Advertisements

We moved to from out of state to NY. This weekend we want to take our kids to NYC for the first time. They are 4 and 9 . What are the first things that would be a ' must see' and the kids would enjoy. We are looking for ideas. My 4 year old is very keen on seeing the statue of liberty but i think that would be a trip solely to see the statue, right? I mean, we can't combine it with other attractions.
How Do we commute within NYC - subway, buses, taxi, walk? We are planning to come from westchester county by train. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I suggest taking your children to the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum: Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum | New York City.
Being that it is Fleet Week, there will also be other ships docked in the area that you can take the children to as well as other events going on.

Also instead of going to the Statue of Liberty, I would suggest taking the free Staten Island ferry from which you can get a great view of the Statue and it is less time consuming.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:41 PM

130 posts, read 163,212 times
You can also go to the South Street Seaport and purchase boat tickets to see the harbor or jump on the Staten Island for free with an unlimited Metrocard. Also, probably a fun museum would be the Children's Museum. Exhibits | Children's Museum of Manhattan
I'm trying to think hard because Manhattan is usually a place for adults, in my opinion. But, maybe you can cross the border into Brooklyn. Maybe Times Square to see a musical and take in the sights?
Maybe Central Park, a lot of people the scenery.... or FAO Schwartz toy store. Also, Prospect Park in Brooklyn has a zoo but its for kids, so they may enjoy it and they have a carousel nearby. Plan Your Trip
You can take the MTA Metropolitan Transit Authority. You can find directions on the trip planner online at mta.info | Home Page and click on trip planner or use HopStop.com - Transit Directions: Subway, Train, Bus, ferry, Bike & Taxi. Its 2.25 for one way trip. You can save money if you buy more rides in advance, like 10 rides or so.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:00 AM

1 posts, read 982 times
Top things to see in NYC are the Times Square, the Statue of Liberty, the Museum of Modern Art and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.[URL="http://www.moma.org/"][/URL]

Old 05-25-2012, 05:56 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Another fun place to take children is the American Museum of Natural History: American Museum of Natural History . Note the admission is a suggested one meaning you can pay as much as you can afford/wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City