Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:01 AM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
There are plenty of good places to get fruit and veggies, you just don't know where to go. For starters familiarize yourself with the farmers markets locations and schedules.
this, there is also a produce store on 42nd and 9th that is of quality comparable to what i've had in Texas and dirt cheap. Yesterday, I bought a ton of veggies and fruits for $6.

Also, whomever said that lack of subway service is keeping the LES a bargain(which it isn't unless you get to Ave C and D close to the projects). The EV isn't really a bargain anymore though there is a lack of subways over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post

Also, whomever said that lack of subway service is keeping the LES a bargain(which it isn't unless you get to Ave C and D close to the projects). The EV isn't really a bargain anymore though there is a lack of subways over there.
True- EV isn't the best for subways, but it's got more to offer than the LES in terms of transportation which is why I think it pulled ahead in the pricing curve.

The LES doesn't have access to as many trains nor does it have a big transportation hub like Union Square. EV has direct access to the L, N,R,Q,W, and 4,5,6. All the LES has is the J,M,Z, F and the B& D- none of which are convenient for transferring to the Manhattan IRT trains or the L which are crucial for getting around. There's quite a few north/south bus routes that thin out once you're closer to houston (last stops being north in EV that don't continue down to the LES).

I'm a bit ticked that the new second avenue subway won't add more stops to the EV or LES- both could use it.

Last edited by Alkonost; 06-06-2012 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-06-2012, 08:52 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
Kinda defeats the purpose of moving for the NYC experience. If I move to NYC, I wanna experience the people, the atmosphere, the restaurants, the entertainment. Saving every penny is something I can do here where I live right now, too, where there's very little to do anyway.

I can invite people to my home if I live in Redneckville USA where there's nothing else to do. That's the last thing I would do in NYC...

Makes the best point here. Why on earth would you move to NYC to live in a maner you can live anywhere else because you have to be frugal to survive in NYC?

Old 06-07-2012, 11:03 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I mean, NYC is expensive, but some posters act like you have to be in a high powered job making at least 200K to live in the city.

I'm FROM the city, born and raised in Manhattan. I currently live in Borough Park, Brooklyn. Not the sexiest neighborhood, but it's safe. I could afford to pay more in rent, but I like having spending money.

I wait tables for a living. I've seen people tell people who work in the service industry that they will not be able to afford living in the five boroughs unless they can tolerate living in the ghetto. That just isn't true.

I'm a waitress and I get my nails done about twice a week, go the hair salon every two months (to get a full sew in, about 350 bucks), get my brows done, eat out, and pay my rent and am paying for cosmetic surgery. Life in the city isn't cheap, but I don't see why people need to scare others into thinking they have to have an extremely high powered job to move to the city or prepare to live on the streets.
A few things that baffled me here.

I remember a while back when you were looking, I thought you said you moved to Bay Ridge. Now it's Borough Park. Which is it? Because these 2 areas don't border each other, Sunset Park and Dyker Heights separate them.

You're also living with 2 roommates and working 2 jobs. Bear in mind people moving here are used to living alone and working 1 job, because that's how it is in other parts of the country. If it's someone who doesn't care what they have to do to say they live here, fine. But some people who post and want to live in the upper west side by themselves, then yes it is expensive, and it's a rude wake up call to find out that job offer they have won't cover the lifestyle they want. Media has hyped people into thinking it's possible.

Also not sure if you're abusing your nails or your salon sucks, but most manicures should last 2 weeks, 10 days minimum. You could probably save $20 or more a week on going to the nail salon less.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:49 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post

I remember a while back when you were looking, I thought you said you moved to Bay Ridge. Now it's Borough Park. Which is it? Because these 2 areas don't border each other, Sunset Park and Dyker Heights separate them.

You're also living with 2 roommates and working 2 jobs. Bear in mind people moving here are used to living alone and working 1 job, because that's how it is in other parts of the country. If it's someone who doesn't care what they have to do to say they live here, fine. But some people who post and want to live in the upper west side by themselves, then yes it is expensive, and it's a rude wake up call to find out that job offer they have won't cover the lifestyle they want. Media has hyped people into thinking it's possible.

Also not sure if you're abusing your nails or your salon sucks, but most manicures should last 2 weeks, 10 days minimum. You could probably save $20 or more a week on going to the nail salon less.
Truth. That's like saying hey I work 6 jobs and live with 6 people in a 2 bedroom, I pay like NOTHING. Yes, but you have to also live with a crowd and have to work all the time. The people that are on the cusp of living here, live very well back home, they just don't know it.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:34 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Quote:

I already addressed this, I knew nothing about Brooklyn so I thought I had moved to Bay Ridge.

Quote:
You're also living with 2 roommates and working 2 jobs..
I live with a couple in a two bedroom. Haven't seen the woman in 4 weeks so I'm assuming she moved out. I do this so I can afford to spend thousands of dollars on my appearance (don't finance anything). I could very easily pay more in rent. And a lot of people in the service industry have two jobs, as it is hard to get more than 30 hours at a restaurant.

Quote:
I'm guessing you don't know anyone who works in a bar lol, but there's no way that anyone working in a bar can keep a manicure for 10 days. It's just impossible. Nails are supposed to last 10 days under super ideal conditions, and that's NOT working in a bar.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:38 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,953 times
I make decent money I have my own savings account and I have the whole 401k from my job.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:33 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I knew nothing about Brooklyn so I thought I had moved to Bay Ridge.
So, what neighborhood did you land in?

Old 10-22-2012, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 910 times
Default Why scare non-NYers?

It's not a scare, but most people outside of NYC can't really grasp how expensive everything is until they experience it. In other "expensive cities" there are similar situations, but few cities rival NYC in having high- priced everything. Of course, you can find cheapo less expensive things (even housing) but then it comes at a "cost" (eg living in a dump). In NYC you get sticker shock on most anything you buy.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:56 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
I live in Astoria now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City