Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 08:57 PM
wak wak started this thread

4 posts, read 5,185 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

Before I get a "use the search function" or do some research response, I would like to say that such methods have been exhausted! Probably too much so actually, my eyes literally burn and I have read up on almost every possible neighborhood that would suit my needs.

Anyhoo, a quick about me I suppose. Me (22 year old recent college grad male) and my best friend (23 year old dance school-bound female) are living in.... staten island with my family at the moment. We just relocated from California so I can work and she can go to school for dance at Ailey (W55th and 9th) in Manhatten. I will be starting a job soon in the Soho area and between us we want to pay about $1,500 in rent give or take. We have checked craigslist and a few other apt rental sights as well as done a ton of research on the net and we believe that we want to live in Brooklyn. We know that the subway times for her will be about 45 minutes or so depending on what line and that is totally fine (remember we are currently commuting from Staten Island). There are some nice-looking areas in Queens for sure- Astoria, Long Island City, and Sunnyside, but we just both felt better vibes from the parts of Brooklyn we have been to. We both eat healthy, like greenery, and ride bicycles. We wont have a car, but are completely comfortable on the subway. We like to go out for drinks sometimes and are attracted to the "trendy-ness" of Williamsburg (for hang out purposes, not to live), but not the "exhausting-ness" of all that comes with it.

We loved Park Slope, but know that $1,500 would be really tough to find a good place, but we will look there nonetheless. Central Park Slope is close enough "to the action" of Park Slope it seems while not adding much commuting time. South Park Slope seems too far and not as nice. I guess we could also get lucky and find a place in Prospect Heights that borders the park and is close to Park Slope!
"East-Williamsburg" also seems to be hit or miss in certain areas. I have a cousin who lives there and boasts of cheap rent and a great place, but ehhhhh. You never know though I suppose! Trying to keep our minds and options open! We don't mind having a small place, but want to enjoy things like farmers markets and nice/friendly people.

Hope I can get a few suggestions. I know that the number one thing to do is to just go check out the areas, which we have been doing. Just wanted to hear of any stories of possible like-minded people who found a comfortable and enjoyable niche.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,055,320 times
$1500 is quite low for a 2 bedroom in Brooklyn. Have you considered a one bedroom, and one person takes the living room?

If not, have a look at Ditmas Park near Cortelyou Rd. There should be some of the organic crowd around there, and I believe there is s farmer's market but you could check the city's greenmarket site to be sure. I suspect there are also some blogs that cover some of the events and venues around there if you do a search. I am not sure exactly of market rents in that neighborhood but my guess is $1500-$1800 for a 2 bedroom.

At $1500 for a 2 bedroom you can't afford the other places that would fit your lifestyle-- such as Fort Greene and Greenpoint. Even for a $1500 one bedroom, those places are going to be either tough or impossible.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:44 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,892,947 times
Before moving to Astoria, Queens I considered and researched several BK neighborhoods.

I was about to rent a small 2br for $1,400 on Colonial Rd and 77 St. it was an old building but it was well kept. I found that apt through Craigslist.
So, it's definitely doable with that budget but it's gonna be toward south BK and more likely for a 1Br.
The only neighborhoods that I see you (with luck and effort) getting a 2br apt in BK, are Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Sunset park, Boro Park and Sheepshead bay.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,610,691 times
In Greenpoint or Williamsburg, you might be able to get a 4 room railroad with entrances on both ends, which is theoretically shareable. I do not consider this a civilized way to live, but I know some people do it.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:30 PM
wak wak started this thread

4 posts, read 5,185 times
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I should have said in the first post that we plan on having to get a 1 bedroom. This is in no way any sort of problem or inconvenience. We traveled together in Hawaii for 4 months and shared a 1+ person tent more than half of the time
So for ~1,500 I will keep looking in Brooklyn. Would prefer not to have to go too far South as I heard that areas get "less nice" and train times becoming increasingly long. But hopefully we can get lucky!

Thanks again

Old 05-25-2012, 08:09 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,610,691 times
In terms of safety, noise, and cleanliness southern Brooklyn is actually quite a lot nicer than northern Brooklyn, overall. The distance and lack of trendiness are the only reasons it's cheaper.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:04 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,194,527 times
Quote:
Would prefer not to have to go too far South as I heard that areas get "less nice"
Lol wow...

Old 05-27-2012, 08:09 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,781,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wak View Post
Would prefer not to have to go too far South as I heard that areas get "less nice"
Where did you hear that....LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City