U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:08 PM

2,867 posts, read 4,568,942 times

Advertisements

Your only going to be at the airport for about eleven hours. Take the $20 and by some snacks and a drink or two. Get something to read if you have to. So you won't get much sleep, it's only one bad night and maybe on your flight to LA you can catch a couple of zzzzz's. I know I would prefer sleeping at the airport over any shelter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 03:13 PM

12,713 posts, read 16,859,521 times
You can sleep on the street for free. You didn't say you wanted lap of luxury, you just said you wanted free. Streets are free.

FYI- nothing is cheap in NYC. Most expensive city in America.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:29 PM

12,119 posts, read 31,872,865 times
i just checked the Econolodge price for you on 113-18 Rockaway Blvd for 6/15 and it came up as booked. jeez, even the modest Econolodge is booked...

Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 PM

4 posts, read 7,993 times
Sleep in the airport, it's not hard

You'd end up sleeping in a chair if you went to a shelter anyway. You wouldn't get a bed till the next day if you dropped in at night. Being treated like a crackhead/criminal isn't worth it either.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:32 PM

39,620 posts, read 39,657,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFatTony View Post
I know, I'm from westside Los Angeles .
I just thought YMCA was free, I mean why else was the Village People singing it was fun to stay at?

Anyways, thank you for the link!
The Village People's song is very old. So even the YMCA prices aren't cheap any more.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:35 PM

263 posts, read 968,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownEmilio View Post
Sleep in the airport, it's not hard
Or, sleep on the airplane flight going to NYC and again on the flight to the west coast. That's what I do, unless you're one of those who are unable to sleep on a plane. The airplane seats will be far more comfortable than any of the seats you might find at the airport.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:41 PM

24,321 posts, read 34,118,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBob View Post
Or, sleep on the airplane flight going to NYC and again on the flight to the west coast. That's what I do, unless you're one of those who are unable to sleep on a plane. The airplane seats will be far more comfortable than any of the seats you might find at the airport.

I agree,
Sleep on the plane, and start a good book when you get to the airport.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:49 PM

12,119 posts, read 31,872,865 times
nobody would want me sleeping on a plane. i have sleep apnea. i would awaken wheezing, tearing off my seat belt and running toward the bathroom until i caught my breath. it would make the headlines in the papers

Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 PM

10 posts, read 59,245 times
I had to stay the night in JFK last year. I got in around 10pm into terminal 5 and the airport crowd was actually extremely thin, especially compared to my past experiences in that terminal. They provide you with a blanket and pillow and you can turn around one of the benches and make yourself a little bed. I actually tried to go find a hotel with the discount code the airport gave me but it was still ridiculously expensive and I ended up shut out of terminal 5 because the security gate closes at midnight and doesn't reopen 'til 5...so I actually ended up leaving my relatively comfortable abode in terminal 5 and semi-slept on the floor of terminal 4.
So, I guess in conclusion I recommend just sleeping in the airport. JFK isn't bad, and as I said the accommodations there are comfortable enough. You certainly won't be the only one doing it.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 PM

144 posts, read 445,757 times
try couchsurfing.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City