Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:34 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times

Advertisements

I[quote=hershey48;29743909]He asked if she took section 8 and she said no. How was she supposed to respond if she didn't want to?[/QUOTE
I usually say I am not familar with the program and my requirements include an income of at least 3x times the rent, good credit, and a positive rental and work history. If they do not understand what you mean, tell them that you require an income of at least i.e $60,000. Be consistent with your criteria. If they file a complaint, testers may call and then you can get into big trouble. It is a business and policies are in place to protect people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 10:51 PM

917 posts, read 2,004,559 times
[quote=goodlife36;29744289]I
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
He asked if she took section 8 and she said no. How was she supposed to respond if she didn't want to?[/QUOTE
I usually say I am not familar with the program and my requirements include an income of at least 3x times the rent, good credit, and a positive rental and work history. If they do not understand what you mean, tell them that you require an income of at least i.e $60,000. Be consistent with your criteria. If they file a complaint, testers may call and then you can get into big trouble. It is a business and policies are in place to protect people.
Ok gotcha. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:20 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
[quote=goodlife36;29744289]I
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
He asked if she took section 8 and she said no. How was she supposed to respond if she didn't want to?[/QUOTE
Just by charging fees for the credit check, you'll get rid of a lot of Section 8 people right there. And if you do the check, and the credit is bad, then there you go, you can deny them.

If your space warrants it, one good thing about using brokers is they do screen out the types of people you tell them to avoid.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:10 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
[quote=NyWriterdude;29745231]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post

Just by charging fees for the credit check, you'll get rid of a lot of Section 8 people right there. And if you do the check, and the credit is bad, then there you go, you can deny them.

If your space warrants it, one good thing about using brokers is they do screen out the types of people you tell them to avoid.
Unfortunately, I did not have that experience with brokers. It is the landlord's responsibility to verify everything. At the end of the day, the landlord bears all of the risk.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:55 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
There is a half-decent demonstration of the section 8 mentality on one of the other threads.
Help yourselves.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:56 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
[quote=NyWriterdude;29745231]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I

Wrong. There are several programs that will pay all moving fees, including broker.
If you deny people, they will sue. I have seen this.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:39 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident

Wrong. There are several programs that will pay all moving fees, including broker.
I assume that is the rule for apartment buildings. I own a 2 family house. I can tell them I know nothing about section 8 and that is it. There is no program to make my house section 8 ready, I guess.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:42 AM

[quote=Harlem resident;29746918]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

But do they pay for the credit check and application fees? Even if they do, a lot of these people will have bad credit and they will not win a lawsuit if denied for bad credit.

If you deny them solely for being on a government program, they can indeed sue. But they certainly can be denied for having a history of eviction or bad credit.

Normally, city programs and/or Section 8 pay a portion of the rent. They have income from SSI that pays the rest of the rent. At least in theory. But welfare tenants are often drug addicts that party off their rent money, so the landlord doesn't get the portion of the rent that are supposed to from the tenant. Meaning in all likelihood there's been an eviction there or something otherwise on the credit report from non payment of rent.

And I think if you charge a decent credit check fee or separate application fee (the city is not issuing a check for that, people have to pay out of pocket for that), you screen out a lot of welfare clients right there.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:44 AM

And for that matter, being sued is not necessarily that big a deal. It doesn't mean the landlord will lose the case. Plenty of brokers and landlords brazenly say no government programs, so the penalties for denying people who are on government programs are not high enough to prohibit this for major management companies.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:55 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
As I stated before, as of 4-5 years ago, a bill passed that was initially introduced by wanna-be Mayor Bill DeBlasio where a LL can no longer advertise on craigslist for example "No Programs allowed" or "No Section 8 allowed". Apparently they consider that "income discrimination". In my opinion it's a bunch of BS to get votes. Money is money. The issue is not necessarily where the money comes from but more with the general behavior and lifestyle Section 8 impose on a property and neighborhood. Section 8 has a sub-standard tenant stoc. Chances are you are most lijely to rent to a ghetto Section 8 tenant than a decent respectable and non-ghetto tenant. The risl is not worth it. Especially in NY where the rental laws are TENANT FRIENDLY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City