U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 11:27 AM

271 posts, read 496,249 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting NYC for the first time in August and I'm doing the weekly apartment rentals thing. Just need some advice on areas to look for/avoid, since I'm not from the area, and most info on the internet about this sort of thing seems dated. You guys live there, so you should have the most accurate info.

I'm trying to keep my budget to under $120 a night and I'm finding lots of hits in Astoria and Long Island City, various parts of Brooklyn, and South Bronx/The Hub.

Looking for: access to subway into Manhattan for the touristy things (ideally less than 15-20 minutes to the island) AND/OR ability to walk a bridge into Manhattan, close to grocery stores/markets, safe neighborhood for exploration and walking at night particularly back to the apartment from the subway. The area doesn't need to have hot nightlife (would probably prefer something quieter anyway) or a ton of amenities nearby, aside from subway access and a grocery store.

Astoria seems to appeal most to me, but I am open to suggestions. All things being equal, we'd take a place in Manhattan. We're from Toronto and in our late 20s, so people who look different from us (we're white) isn't a problem-- people are people and they're the same almost everywhere. Washington Heights and Harlem seem to have the cheapest rentals and I'm fine with staying there... as long as the locals would be fine with seeing us there. What's the 411 in 2012 on safe areas/places there where we won't be hassled?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 01:08 PM

1,247 posts, read 1,242,060 times
Plenty of five star hotels, in the Downtown brooklyn area, as well the Midtown manhattan area. Of course their is tons of smaller hotels by the south half of brooklyn, as well as resteraunts. $40 dollars a night is probably what you are looking for, good luck. Once you are in a five borro, area you should be near to a bus/train line which is 2.50 cents to 5.00 dollars.

New Jersery has some access to the city, but I am not sure of. Long Island has the LIRR, but I am not too sure of access.

Note that bedbugs are still present, along with westnile.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:21 PM

37,349 posts, read 37,659,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
I'm visiting NYC for the first time in August and I'm doing the weekly apartment rentals thing. Just need some advice on areas to look for/avoid, since I'm not from the area, and most info on the internet about this sort of thing seems dated. You guys live there, so you should have the most accurate info.

I'm trying to keep my budget to under $120 a night and I'm finding lots of hits in Astoria and Long Island City, various parts of Brooklyn, and South Bronx/The Hub.

Looking for: access to subway into Manhattan for the touristy things (ideally less than 15-20 minutes to the island) AND/OR ability to walk a bridge into Manhattan, close to grocery stores/markets, safe neighborhood for exploration and walking at night particularly back to the apartment from the subway. The area doesn't need to have hot nightlife (would probably prefer something quieter anyway) or a ton of amenities nearby, aside from subway access and a grocery store.

Thanks.
You can find a hotel in Long Island City (which is near the Queensboro Bridge) within your price range that would meet most of your other criteria.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:55 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,164,367 times
Have you tried the TripAdvisor forums? I have always had better luck there when visiting a new place. These forums are great for living advice of all kinds, but notsomuch for tourists. Don't mean to steer you away, really I don't, but the TripAdvisor forums are really helpful for visitors.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:06 PM

271 posts, read 496,249 times
I haven't used them for this trip, but for foreign destinations I have. I'm not a typical tourist, I plan on visiting all five boroughs and getting a feel for being a local by staying in apartments over hotels and making notes to avoid any and all tourist traps. I tend to immerse myself in the local culture when I travel, even overseas. I'll get joy from walking a tree-lined street in some place I've never been versus waiting in line at MoMA, which is awfully similar to a lot of museums I've been to. I like to browse the city-data forums, I find the information here a little more constructive than elsewhere.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:49 PM

12,344 posts, read 24,006,335 times
I think Astoria would work well for you, as would Sunnyside. Just make sure the place is very close to a subway (within 5 minute walk) and you most likely will be fine in terms of neighborhood amenities, safety and commute time. Astoria has the added advantage of being a fun neighborhood to explore on its own.

If you list out some of the neighborhoods in Brooklyn you are finding in your price range, perhaps people could give some feedback. There are many lovely neighborhoods in Brooklyn, but there are also some really crappy ones, and ones that are very far from Manhattan (90 minutes+). If Brooklyn were a city instead of a borough, it would be something like the 4th largest city in the US.

I don't know anything about Washington Heights or the Bronx, so can't advise on those.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:15 PM

48 posts, read 131,364 times
VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner has apartments for cheap

Harlem is not bad at all. It has done a complete 360. What are you into?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City