Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:47 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Thats what makes different cities with cultural history interesting. Other old cities such as NYC hold true to their old world style architectures. My hometown is an example; New Orleans. From the homes to the city buildings which are just like the buildings in Manhattan...shops below, offices/apartments above.

The true value of a city to me is abstract. I grew up in the inner city and I like to drive actually. Over my short years I have picked up other hobbies that this city does not offer. Im a part time motorcycle racer and Atlanta has 2 world class road courses within 30 minutes of the city. NYC cant touch that. LA has the same...and they have beaches. Its all about the personal preferences of the person. I have done large cities and right now its all about money to me. I may work here but I own properties in aother places. They all have museums, restaurants, shopping and chicks to occupy my time. And racetracks. But NYC is kool for the time being; overpriced, but kool.
This touches on another point I failed to make is that you need to have an open mind and be willing to find recreation in stuff you may have never done in New York for any number of reasons. The beaches are one thing I take for granted here. It doesn't cost much to drive to a beach, and it doesn't cost much to park either. Some of the beaches have free parking.

A lot of times a Southern city has everything you need, but it is not exactly how you want it. For example everything is spread out, and you can't experience everything within a 20 minute walk, so you have to drive. Or there are museums, but they don't have THIS exhibition, or THAT painting, etc.

The Color Purple came to the Sandler in Virginia Beach, for one night only, lol! It felt as though the entire city was in that theater on that night, but I enjoyed myself. Is it the same as seeing in the Kennedy Center? No, but I was able to see it without making a road trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:49 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Not so much that they can't do better but they aren't just going to land into some cushy job because there is just that much prosperity in the South to go around, like their cup is overflowing or something. People need to realize that they are going to have to fight like they do anywhere else. If you are used to New York you already know how to position yourself because you know what the hustle is, but not everyone has that mindset.
I mean I dont refute that one bit. My main argument from experience is that if you make X, and Y is variable depending on where you live, then the outcome will be + or -. I totally agreed in an earlier post that some people move at their own peril if its not a vertical move. And the grind is universal. But the main variable is peoples personal decision to move for a change of scenery right? When I lived in LA, the homeless cats on Venice beach was some of the most cheerful homeless cats I ever seen..if you can even be homeless and cheerful. But its probably easier being homeless in that weather than here in NYC. Its just an analogy. I know tons of native NY'ers who moved to ATL when I was living there..still friends with a bunch of em. Said they would never move back. The one thing I stand firm on period point blank is that the QOL in other placves is just flat out better than here. And remember I LIVE HERE TOO!!!..LOL. I just have the luxury of flying back every month to my house in ATL and enjoying that lifestyle also. Lets be real....The most people that flock to the city are suburbanites that wanna taste city livin...but the people like me and maybe you, i dont know your background, who grew up in inner cities dont value this sh%t as much. NYC doesnt make my eyes twinkle...my job does. Yeah it has amenities, but so does everywhere else. Im a firm believer that if you got hustle, no matter where you from, you can make it. Just make the right moves and you should do aight.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:53 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
This touches on another point I failed to make is that you need to have an open mind and be willing to find recreation in stuff you may have never done in New York for any number of reasons. The beaches are one thing I take for granted here. It doesn't cost much to drive to a beach, and it doesn't cost much to park either. Some of the beaches have free parking.

A lot of times a Southern city has everything you need, but it is not exactly how you want it. For example everything is spread out, and you can't experience everything within a 20 minute walk, so you have to drive. Or there are museums, but they don't have THIS exhibition, or THAT painting, etc.

The Color Purple came to the Sandler in Virginia Beach, for one night only, lol! It felt as though the entire city was in that theater on that night, but I enjoyed myself. Is it the same as seeing in the Kennedy Center? No, but I was able to see it without making a road trip.

I totally get what your saying. You are 100% correct in saying that the cities have what is needed just not the way we may need it. That is where those local governments must make a concerted effort to centralize a little more. Man I dig VA Beach.......and you know what, shame on the productions for limited runs. Thats their loss. I have always argued against that.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I mean I dont refute that one bit. My main argument from experience is that if you make X, and Y is variable depending on where you live, then the outcome will be + or -. I totally agreed in an earlier post that some people move at their own peril if its not a vertical move. And the grind is universal. But the main variable is peoples personal decision to move for a change of scenery right? When I lived in LA, the homeless cats on Venice beach was some of the most cheerful homeless cats I ever seen..if you can even be homeless and cheerful. But its probably easier being homeless in that weather than here in NYC. Its just an analogy. I know tons of native NY'ers who moved to ATL when I was living there..still friends with a bunch of em. Said they would never move back. The one thing I stand firm on period point blank is that the QOL in other placves is just flat out better than here. And remember I LIVE HERE TOO!!!..LOL. I just have the luxury of flying back every month to my house in ATL and enjoying that lifestyle also. Lets be real....The most people that flock to the city are suburbanites that wanna taste city livin...but the people like me and maybe you, i dont know your background, who grew up in inner cities dont value this sh%t as much. NYC doesnt make my eyes twinkle...my job does. Yeah it has amenities, but so does everywhere else. Im a firm believer that if you got hustle, no matter where you from, you can make it. Just make the right moves and you should do aight.
I grew up in Akron, OH. There were things I took for granted there. Like, light-rail is a really big deal in Virginia Beach right now. You have the NIMBY, and "we don't want thugs from Norfolk coming here" and, well, entirely too many arguments to count for why they shouldn't bring it from Norfolk into Virginia Beach.

You also have Northern Virginia, that whole phenomenon. I never had to deal with that in Ohio. Every city is working class, every city has crime, slums, stuff is done in plain sight. People seem rather isolated from stuff down South that is just regular, every day stuff in the Midwest and the North. I was talking to some people around here and they took personal offense to some of the things they saw in New York, even though it wasn't personal to them, (or anyone else), lol! Like this one woman saw a man with a dog collar around his neck, and another man was holding the leash. First thing I wanted to ask was where she was at and what was she doing, but I left it alone because she was getting really upset talking about it. Personally I would laugh at something like that, because you see some crazy stuff up in Ohio as well, not on the level of New York of course, but weird still.

But I guess you reach some point in your life where that type of weirdness is no longer amusing or entertaining, and you just want a regular life. So I can understand why someone would want to move here.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
[/i][/b]

I totally get what your saying. You are 100% correct in saying that the cities have what is needed just not the way we may need it. That is where those local governments must make a concerted effort to centralize a little more. Man I dig VA Beach.......and you know what, shame on the productions for limited runs. Thats their loss. I have always argued against that.
My understanding is that it ran three nights in Norfolk, which led me to believe it might have been the venue as much as it is the production. But you're right it is their loss; as hot as that production was they could have ran it for a week straight and made money hand over fist.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
My understanding is that it ran three nights in Norfolk, which led me to believe it might have been the venue as much as it is the production. But you're right it is their loss; as hot as that production was they could have ran it for a week straight and made money hand over fist.
Exactly...

Old 06-05-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Exactly...
Perhaps the rarity of the performance is how they make their money. Like, if you are showing too often in one place, for too long, you lose the novelty of it all.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Perhaps the rarity of the performance is how they make their money. Like, if you are showing too often in one place, for too long, you lose the novelty of it all.
Thats the basis of it probably, but the argument can still be had that frequent offerings would be a moneymaker. As you said, it was packed top the rafters and Im sure a bunch of people missed out.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Thats the basis of it probably, but the argument can still be had that frequent offerings would be a moneymaker. As you said, it was packed top the rafters and Im sure a bunch of people missed out.
Off topic, but the argument reminds me of a conversation I was having about HBO and the whole a la carte issue. I think they should offer it online without a cable subscription at a premium. There are people out there that would pay good money for HBO GO if they could access it anywhere, and they did not have register a device to watch it. Personally I would pay about the same as I would Netflix, as that's all its worth, but there are some real fiends out there.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:01 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
That's a bunch of BS. How do you justify checking someone's credit illegal? How are you suppose to find out if a prospective tenant is credit worthy, has delinquent accounts, has been bankrupted before, etc. It doesn't make sense for making credit checks illegal. Fat chance of passing, if true.
Yup. Being a fiscally irresponsible, broke-ass MOFO is not a federally protected class. Thank goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City